FansProject CA-09 Car Crash Reviews

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by archieboy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got this guy yesterday from a local retailer. Here are some pics and initial thoughts.

1. Vehicle Mode

Pictures speak louder than words.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Transformation

FP could have gone the easy way and just built on the engineering of the G1 figure; thankfully, they decided to reinvent some aspects of the figure in a way that makes it refreshing and not-boring.

The new design is most evident in the legs and feet. Transformation can be quite a pain, so pay close attention to the instruction sheet.

[​IMG]

For example, in getting the feet done from alt mode, you might encounter issues getting from here

[​IMG]

To here

[​IMG]

Because the mechanism is counter-intuitive. Specifically, your first instinct is to pry the two halves apart to form the front and back of a foot, but that's not how it works and you might break something if you force it. Just follow the instruction sheet carefully, don't force anything, and you'll be fine.

The feet are on ball joints. You might find it frustrating how the feet barely clears the calf/lower leg panels during transformation. Think FE Vehicon's upper torso transformation.

[​IMG]

From bot to alt mode, you might think that this joint is permanently fixed by a pin...

[​IMG]

But it's not.

[​IMG]

Just be careful dislodging the joint from the pegs that hold it in place.

Finally, the tolerance on this part is very tight, so you'll need finesse and patience in inserting the upper peg into its hole. The reward, of course, is a very tight alt-mode with minimal panel gaps.

[​IMG]

Overall, the transformation is challenging enough that it's not boring, and doable enough that it can be fun and not frustrating. Unlike Defender, or Steel Core even.

3. Articulation

He has all the usual stuff, and more.

Neck ball joint
    Shoulder ball joints
    Shoulder hinge for lateral movement
    Elbow
    Wrist rotation
    Waist rotation
    Thigh ball joints
    Thigh rotation
    Knees
    Ankle ball joints

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bot mode

See for yourself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Quality

Car Crash comes with the build and plastic quality that has become a standard for FP products, so no surprises here. Paint apps are spot on and joints are all pretty tight on mine, and none of the "too tight" issues that came with Assaulter.

One gripe is that I would have preferred a translucent windshield and windows.

6. Final thoughts

Before getting this guy, I was one of those who clamored for a clear pic of the combined mode. Then he became available locally, so I made a bet and decision: I bet that eventually FP's Menasor would be priced reasonably, that he would be awesome, and so would sell out; so I decided that I don't want to risk missing out on the retail price, and I bought Car Crash and preordered T-Bone. Only time will tell if I made the right call.

In other words, I bought this guy because he's one of the guys that forms Menasor, and I would not have bought him if he were just a stand alone figure. Don't get me wrong, he's an awesome toy--but if that's all he was (i.e., not part of a combiner group), he would not be worth 60 USD to me.

(some edits)

2. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks perfect as a stand alone figure - great review!

3. JouetCOM

JouetCOM Autobot Officer

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review!

4. archieboy

News Credits:
    Thanks man. I forgot to talk about quality, so I will add a few lines about it in a bit.

5. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

love those perfect paint apps! :) 

6. Rodimus89

Rodimus89 Protector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looks amazing I cannot wait! come on BBTS!!

7. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Good review. How's the plastic feel? I really am liking the face. Can't wait till we see Menasor and the combined mode.

I would say that you made the right choice afterall there's no other Menasor available ATM.

8. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Great review. Btw, do you happen to have windcharger? If so, mind putting them side by side in alt and bot mode?

9. archieboy

News Credits:
    Yeah, forgot to talk about the quality. I just added a few lines about it in the first post.

Plastic quality seems at par with previous FP releases, although (just now) after touching the surface, it feels smoother than the predominantly matte prior releases.

10. archieboy

News Credits:
    Thanks everyone! Pardon the not-so-great pics, haha

Sorry man, I don't have the scout Windcharger. Only scouts that I have ATM are the Bruticus Maximus limbs and PCC Huffer.

11. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Thank you for showing the transformation. Awesome pics and review.

I can't even tell you how some of my friends are so disappointed with the size.

The transformation looks okay. From the looks of it it still reaks of scout type transformation but I've seen more complicated transformations on official retail scout products but those were way too cumbersome for it's size. Head and hands are already exposed. Untabbing the hands from the body then collapsing the body towards the waist. Can't get any more scoutish than that. Yes, I understand it is around the same size.

On other hand, untabbing the foot from the shin then unfolding the toes and heels turning the entire foot assembly on it's side achieves a unique look which I like on Breakdown and doesn't look overly cumbersome.

Overall, looking at the foot transformation, this leaves me wondering about what else I could have gotten with a true deluxe size toy. I remember SMOG being turned off just by that thought alone. At that price, it's even worse.

Again coming back to the size choice, where did this leave the combined form transformation? I don't know but how Transbot has been describing it, it just tab. Compared to it's rival the TFC aerialbots, this has much to be left desired.

Overall the bot looks good enough for me. The choice was clear. Between the current choice: 60$-100$. It gives my budget the freedom I need for a more expensive yet more tasteful product than 3rd party, MP. That alone made me click preoreder.

12. ahro23

ahro23 Omnibot

Awesome review! I can't tell from your pics, but are there any combiner ports for when he'll form Menasor? I couldn't see any but I suppose all those bits could be stored inside Motormaster :eek: 

13. archieboy

News Credits:
    I don't want to speculate how this guy forms a limb. Too much of that already going on in the Menasor thread. Sorry.

14. seali_me

Do you have Classics Jazz? :D  It would be nice to have him stand side-by-side with him.

Thank you for providing the review man.

15. archieboy

News Credits:
    Sorry man. All the classics I have are the 1986 Movie new cast, Wreckers, and Optimus Primes. Generations Wheeljack is pretty much the only one from the pre-movie cast.

16. seali_me

Thanks. :) 

17. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks so much for the pics and review, archieboy. After being on the fence with Assaulter and Code before release (and genuinely disappointed after getting them in hand), it's nice to be really pumped about a FP product again.

18. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the review on this one. I'm moving from passing to on the fence. I'll check out the next one and maybe come back.

19. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Stop whining, this figure is already 10 times more complex than BH Voyager Prime (and several other recent Deluxe and Voyager class figures). :) 

Also, no limb mode or instructions for it?

20. seali_me