Fanshobby MB-19 "Double Agent" (MP Doubledealer?)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Jun 4, 2021.

1. nobody1898

nobody1898 Well-Known Member

would anybody else be interested in replacement wing parts with different paint on each side to improve the accuracy of the 2 alt modes? I'd buy it

• Like Like x 2
  2. Arko22

Arko22 Psychopomp

Got this guy coming in within the next few days. I've been wanting a masterpiece styled Double Dealer for years, basically not long after masterpiece was a thing. I'm going to try to post a review here, with any fixes I come up with.

3. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

I generally really dislike Fanshobby's aesthetic, but this guy actually looks pretty sick. have they said anything about a Doubleclouder repaint or anything? I'd prefer the white plastic & gold chest.

4. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

I'm thinking of getting rid of my A version. I'm actually thinking of going with MMCs IDW version.

5. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They haven't said anything I've seen, but I would expect it to happen. The question is what will they do with the wings. My guess is they will judge the Green and Purple sales and just release the one that did better for repaints.

• Like Like x 1
  6. daddytron

daddytron Made of too much clear plastic

Got mine last night. It’s every bit as good as I’d hoped it would be. This has been my most anticipated figure for the last year and it lived up to my hype. Didn’t have a chance to do bird mode but did the others.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  7. Toolala

Toolala Breast Master

Yeah I'd be surprised if they don't do one at this point, I'm expecting a Stalker and Machine Wars/Universe Soundwave as well.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Sigmalock

Sigmalock Decepticon

Could just imagine what a Stalker-coloured bird mode would look like!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Get out of here, Stalker.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Captain Cid

Captain Cid Harpoon Dragoon

Ebay:
    This and Bossman were my first Fans Hobby purchases, bought both at TFCon. I love these. I was no longer into Transformers as a kid when these characters came out during G1, but these figures looked so good I had to get them. Now I'm fully into buying masterpiece versions of late G1 characters that I am not familiar with. 140 for Double Dealer is a really good price, most figures this size and with this many accessories are substantially more. What a great time to be collecting Transformers.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Arko22

Arko22 Psychopomp

Had this figure for a few days. I have some other fanshobby figures, and they suffer from the same problem: Storage. I know that it's not something every collector cares about, for a number of reasons. But it's something I've always looked for and enjoyed having. It's especially relevant for this figure since the character is a double powermaster. As pointed out by others, the only place for Skar to clip in is in the robot mode(s). So i;ve done the very simply modification of shaving down the tabs on Skar, so he can store on the back of the missile carrier mode:
    333771192_931044478092046_7239646726601166953_n.jpg
    There are some more things that I might fix. But this was the thing that stuck out to me the most. There's no reason to have made that section inaccessible for Skar. Great figure overall!

• Like Like x 9
  12. nobody1898

does the little bat dude not have a spot in bird mode?

• Like Like x 1
  13. nobody1898

I'm having some buyers remorse with this figure. I just don't feel that this gives off an MP vibe in any mode. Maybe it is me and my lack of connection with the source figure and cartoon but I'm just a little frustrated with it.

14. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Could we please get some color images added to the first post? There are probably too many of them to add all of them, but I quoted posts with images of both versions in each of the 4 modes below to make it easier.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    I'm having the opposite problem. I think this figure is super solid and looks great, yet I have no connection to Double Dealer at all. I love the color scheme, the appearance, the size and especially the articulation. I've always liked the idea of characters that can switch sides like Punch/Counterpunch. And finally, a figure with butterfly joints on the shoulders but no pointless, stupid sculpt-breaking ab crunch. I like the idea of expanding the characters I'm willing to collect so that I hopefully never run out of figures to be interested in. My collection has been running the risk of becoming a Fans Toys collection, so I am always appreciative of when other 3rd parties are making good figures. Because of Double Dealer, I want the upcoming version of Dreadwind. I far prefer to get G1 transformers I am not familiar with, yet have a somewhat real world alt-mode, than more "cybertronian" modes like from the 86 movie that are nothing but excuses to not have to make the figure transform into something real. I'm now very interested in all future Fans Hobby releases.

• Like Like x 9
  16. nobody1898

my issue started with the different color wings, well documented so we don't need to dwell on it. But I find that the backpack on the bot and the unimpressive bird mode to be really frustrating. And I really don't care about the extra non-canon bot mode.
    I know that the figure is fairly close to the animation model(but not 100%) but it sort of feels like I'm putting a figure from the Energon line on my MP shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can’t bring myself to bite on this guy. As much as I love late-80’s teal-and-purple Decepticon color schemes, I’ve never cottoned to Doubledealer. His leg design and the giant splitting missile always look visually unappealing to me.

And as for this toy, it’s not so much the wing color that bothers me as the wing shape. They look like the way a five-year-old would draw a bird’s wing, like a big squared-off sheet with little feather-tips at the end. Not a great design.

So yeah, while I’m slightly tempted because I feel like Double Evil needs a teal lieutenant to complement him on the shelf, I’m holding out for Dreadwing and Darkwind instead.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vancelle

Vancelle #MarsBaseRubicon TFW2005 Supporter

Instagram:
    I love this dude. Just like every other Fans Hobby purchase I've made, he just hits the spot. Vehicle mode is cool looking, even with the purple backend, I don't mind at all. The wheels are nice and smooth. Robot mode is great with excellent articulation for posing and I really love the head sculpt. I do need to get some batteries so I can light him up. I have yet to transform him to Decepticon-bot and bird modes, as the initial transformation was quite long. The backpack is really quite clever in hiding the bird head and cleans up well. Glad I made this purchase and glad I finally got around to playing with him. This is my definitive Doubledealer.

20230405_102407.jpg 20230405_121150.jpg 20230405_121059.jpg 20230405_121117.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  19. STRANGE

STRANGE Active Member

Had this figure for a while and think that it is just so-so. Maybe the only MP representation of Doubledealer, but feels half-finished. Like many Fansproject figures, parts do not tab in securely and are easily dislodged when posing. The lack of storage for the powermaster figures is an awful oversight, as is the connection point for the missile in all modes. (And no rotating parts or flaps for faction symbols?!) Colors are vibrant, feels chunky and substantial, and the four-mode concept is fun even if the end result is mediocre. Poor quality control in that the silver face keeps falling off and the missile will not attach securely without adding some epoxy. Wish the vulture head looked more like the G1 toy than the cartoon. Anyway, the best MP Doubledealer for now.

Here's an alternate way to make the backpack so it looks more boxy and can hold the unused powermaster (get more clearance for posing using the diaphragm hinge joint):

01.jpg
    02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg

And here's a way to collapse the Birdman backpack so the wings are not spread out (the unused powermaster goes in the lower leg):

10.jpg
    11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  20. Captain Cid

Ebay:
    There is a flap on the chest plate that is supposed to be flipped around between the two bot modes. The side you have showing is for Autobot mode.

• Like Like x 2