Fans Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Db1640, May 13, 2020.

1. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

What is the difference between original Fans Toys Trransformers and the Fans Toys Transformers that are shipped from China? Has anyone bought one of the cheaper versions from China?

For example, when looking on Ebay, what is the difference between a $420 Fans Toys Sever not shipping from China and a $185 Fans Toys Sever shipping from China? Thanks.

2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    lol "original Fans Toys Transformers"? :)  (Hint: Nothing FT makes are officially Transformers brand products.)

If you're talking new retail purchase, the FT products sold by reputable shops in China are the same product you'd get from a US-based retailer.
    Just make sure they are reputable and that you're not paying up front for something that hasn't even been solicited yet by FT to official retailers, as the China-based sellers sometimes list figures that the full price hasn't even been announced yet nor a shipping date so your money is getting tied up so far in advance you might run out of safety mechanisms like the Paypal protection window before it ever ships, if it gets produced and ships. You will likely have less legal recourse than you might with a US-based seller. And sometimes products ordered through China-based sellers will take longer to arrive here, but that's the trade-off for paying less.

If you're talking eBay sellers offering older FT products like the DiBots, some are sketchy and it's generally less risky to stick with US sellers, though it may cost you a bit more. And as many here have found out the hard way, if the price on a China-based eBay listing seems too good to be true, it almost always is.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  3. chirtman

chirtman S.T.A.R.S

Ebay:
    Scalpers, dodgy Chinese sellers, sent loose or with packaging, expensive shipping, that's MP collecting for you.

And remember, if it looks too good to be true, (price wise), it probably is.

As for the figures themselves, no KO's exist for FT figures as far as I know, so no difference there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

FansToys is a China-based company, as are most/all 3rd Party companies. Everything ships from China originally.

5. mikequillm

mikequillm Well-Endowed Member

News Credits:
    $235

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 30
  6. Wheeljoker

Wheeljoker Well-Known Member

I don't care who you are..that there's some funny stuff...

• Like Like x 3
  7. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

Haha. Good one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

Thanks for the response. Yes, I know FT products are not official Transformer products. I guess what I was trying to ask was that I’ve heard sometimes these Transformers From Chinese sellers are packaged in the original FT (or other brand) packaging, but use cheaper materials to make them. Is this at all true? Or is it just the risk that you will be scammed out of your money by never receiving the product that makes the price much lower? Thanks.

Yeah. I know that. Just referring to

9. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never heard of that. $185 for a Sever sounds like a scam though. You just won't receive it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

Ok. Thanks again. Yeah. Doesn’t seem worth the risk.
    [

QUOTE="Hougangkid, post: 17895087, member: 129788"]FansToys is a China-based company, as are most/all 3rd Party companies. Everything ships from China originally.[/QUOTE]

11. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

Yeah. I know. Just wondering how these Chinese sellers, the ones that actually might be legit (if there are any), benefit from offering these FT Transformers at such low prices.

12. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Uh, this seems more like a question about Chinese sellers. Some of those too good to be true prices are just that.

However, Chinese sellers can get the figures factory direct and don’t have to pay a bunch of employees like BBTS or other eretail. So they don’t need to add as much of a mark up on the price.

However, you get a defective part, or issue and they might not be able to help you.

check this whenever buying from China

China Ebay Seller Check - New-comers READ FIRST POST!!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hougangkid

Hougangkid Constructicon Worker

Yeah, what KevinSig said. There are good sellers and bad sellers on eBay. Onus is on you to check up on them. That's what the eBay thread is for.

Just because they ship from China, doesn't mean they are bad.

But conversely, just because they are expensive and ship from your country, doesn't automatically mean they are good either, or that they will help you with defective parts.

14. Db1640

Db1640 Active Member

Ok. Thanks for the info.

15. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

Another thing to look out for on ebay is an artificially low price but a shipping price of $40-$50. Making the total exactly the same as everybody else's prices. Your $185 Sever might actually come to $235, which would probably make the price about right. I think those ones are less likely to be scams TBH but I've never ordered any figures using that kind of pricing off ebay.

16. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

They're the same, but for a while, high end 3p figures were a real popular thing for eBay scammers. They take your money and then never send anything, and then eBay has to give you your money back.

One way you can spot them is their feedback. If you dig into it, you'll see it's all nickel and dime items traded between equally shady accounts. If they don't have at least a couple dozen positive feedbacks with international accounts buying the same type of item you're after? Walk away.

• Like Like x 2
  17. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Moderator

Another thing to consider is price gouging which is a real thing on some of these Fans Toys items, especially from people in the states. They buy one and think it's made of gold because they're hard to find a couple months after release. Then they double the price and try to sell it on ebay at badly inflated prices.

I'm usually wary of ordering from China because there are a ton of scammers on Ebay from there and also because it takes forever to get stuff (especially right now with everything going on) assuming you actually found a good vendor. There aren't any knock off's of Fans Toys stuff to my knowledge but it's a fine line between scam pricing and people overcharging. If it's Fans Toys and less than retail at release, it's probably a scam. Don't overpay though either.

If you need a list of good vendors I'm sure people can help you here or there is a list of Ebay members that people buy from that are verified as "good" (at least from last time someone used them). Again, YMMV but I steer away from China ebayers since I'm in the US and it takes forever and their post is really dodgy right now. Japanese mail to the US I will gamble on because it's usually pretty darn quick, but I digress.

Hope some of that helps. :) 

18. Blair Bear Tokyo

Blair Bear Tokyo Well-Known Member

Like many people on the board, I have been burned with buying from China. Lots of great advice here. Especially the list of quality sellers.

If I’m going to spend a few hundred dollars on eBay, I generally try to spark up a conversation with the buyer to establish authenticity. This is also how I find out if they have and can include later update. (Dinobot face sculpts)

I’ve only bought FT figures from American sellers. And unless you are trying to pick up Hoodlum, those are, generally speaking, very expensive toys that are too rich for my blood(See FT Spotter).

19. franpincho

franpincho Hater = Fan

That's it. I'm buying 2X of everything FT I get from now on to sell them a year after release. The amount of $$$ some people lacking any sort of conscience and love for themselves is staggering not to take advantage of.

20. Blair Bear Tokyo

Blair Bear Tokyo Well-Known Member

Or not be like those dudes and leave room at the retailers for everyone. Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1