Fans Toys vs Takara Tomy

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by botfan, Dec 11, 2016.

?

If FT and TT both make the same character and the FT version is better, which will you buy?

Poll closed Dec 27, 2016.
  1. FT

120 vote(s)
    52.9%
  2. TT

64 vote(s)
    28.2%
  3. Both

43 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

Vote in the poll. The question is simple, does a great figure matter where it comes from? If FT makes figures that are superior to what TT puts out, would you buy them or should FT stay away from TT territory.

2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

TT wins each and every time for me; regardless of which is deemed "better."

• Like Like x 10
  3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it's FT vs. TT, then it's going to be TT almost every single time. They're both firmly in the design philosophy of replicating the simplified cartoon models at this point, so I can't hold that against either of them. But TakaraTomy knows how to engineer a smooth and elegant hand-candy transformation. FT will hamfist it 90% of the time. No contest.

• Like Like x 5
  4. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

by posing the question under the assumption the FT is better, you're just really asking about loyalty to official product, right?

• Like Like x 10
  5. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I keep thinking I am done with TT yet I buy every figure.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    This poll really should be, if another 3rd Party and FTs make the same figure and the other is better which will you buy?

• Like Like x 7
  7. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

With the super plain animation style the mp line has developed..... I'm always going to leAn towards the fanstoys hybrid toon/toy look

• Like Like x 3
  8. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    I'm beholden to whomever makes the best figure. FT has their fair share, but the one time they came in direct competition with TT, I sold QW and bought Shockwave.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Veteran

I'm right there with you.

• Like Like x 1
  10. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

If Fanstoys makes a better figure, they will get my money. But I don't think I have been in a situation where FT made a figure after TT made the same one earlier. The only one I can think of right now is Hot Rod. TT fucked it up with the orange chest piece preventing the car mode from allowing all four wheels to touch the ground. I'm not the best transformerer (yes, it's probably not a real word), but I know I can transform the damn thing and this is a common problem with other collectors. I'm not selling my FT figures for TT, either. If a FT one breaks (don't break on me Shrapnel), them I my get a TT one to replace it.

Edit: Forgot about MP-8. OS KO Grimlock for me. FT over TT on Grimlock.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  11. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

Has a FT vs TT situation even occurred yet?

I don't recall any overlapping characters except for Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for a fanstoys hot rod.

I recognize quakwave is off animation in some ways.... but man I like those ways. I own 2 quakwaves and 0 TT

Grinder over mp 08 is a no brainer for me

Sovereign over the official offering feels like will be a easy decision if trends hold

• Like Like x 2
  13. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

I see FT Shockwave as a standard modern MP styled design, whereas TT was Sunbow accurate. Cloud9 was Marvel Comics.

Takara does take into account what is available already.

Same thing for MP-36 Megatron being Sunbow accurate when Maketoys did a standard modern MP styled one. Ditto for Inferno and Ironhide.

14. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Depends on the designer.

If you had asked me if I preferred Hasui designed MPs over FT's stuff, I think Hasui would just about win it (but only by a small margin).

But I easily prefer FT's stuff over the Kobayashi MPs. Just my preference, I know some people love the newer style.

And Yuki is right at the bottom of the pile, sorry :( 

• Like Like x 1
  15. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i have alot of love for both companys and think my collection will always have a bit of both , my fanstoys insecticons are going nowhere but will still buy takara's , i honestly can't see takara beating the majority of the ft dinobots but i think takara would make a better v2 grimlock , ft skyfire that thing looks near on perfect can't see a better one from tt , ft's sixshot again it looks near on perfect , ft trailbreaker once again looks near on perfect but think takara could just do them on that one ( maybe ), galvatron is a no brainer that takara would smash all the competition , ft hotrod looks promising from the renders but i think there's nowt wrong with the official apart from it being too small and having a bloody matrix chamber

i like tt shockwave more than ft's

as for the rest of ft's releases and planned one's takara would do a better job imho

16. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I'm gonna buy the figure that I deem better. Sometimes it's neither one of those two companies. Like Tyrant, Allen, and Reximus Prime. Like Frank Dux sensei said to him about not limiting himself. Keep an open mind.

• Like Like x 3
  17. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Neither? I mean, I haven't bought a TT toy since Bumblebee, but I haven't bought a FT figure yet. Closest I've come was Willis, but ultimately I went with Gundog.

Honestly, this poll seems to represent the notion that official is always better, and the only thing close to official is FT. That notion might be common, maybe even the majority opinion, but believe it or not there are those of us out there who don't care for either.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Trent

Trent Froody

News Credits:
    Loaded question much?

How do you define "better" OP?

To me, "better" could mean many different things. Aesthetics, design, QC, vision, materials used. With the exception of QC and materials used, what is "better" is purely subjective and none of which is wrong.

This just seems like you've got an agenda by trying to imply that people will by an inferior product just because it's official.

Is that what you are doing OP?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Depends on if BadCube, Maketoys, Gigapower, MMC, etc. makes the same character as well. So far those companies have won over both the poll options whenever there's been a choice.

20. Pho'ptimus Prime

Pho'ptimus Prime Mancave Spelunker

I love both FT & TT, but with a slight leaning towards TT as FT hasn't come up with a design that I would go to the grave with (so far MP-10 is gonna share that limited space). However if I somehow lose and cannot acquire another Prime, then Stomp-X will fossilize with me then without a doubt, I don't think TT can out-stomp Stomp.