Fans Toys FT-48 Jive (Masterpiece Jazz)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by DeletedUser_127557, Mar 22, 2020.

1. werewolfspice

werewolfspice Bat Chain Puller

Ebay:
    Idk if this makes it worse or better, but my actual opinion was that I used to love this figure but over time have cooled on it, that I'm sad that so many people are having problems with their copies, and then I speculated that someday people *might* look back on this figure as one of Fans Toys worst figures. Hell, I don't even think it's one of Fans Toys worst figures, but that's what's been attributed to me. I feel like I've pretty fair and balanced to this figure since I received my copy, really. But I've been lambasted for being too enthusiastic with my love for it AND apparently repeatedly saying that "I hate this figure" in the same thread. It's wild, all the things that were not read or ignored or misread that I said in between, as my opinion evolved over the last 6 weeks or so. But so it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BuddaMonk

BuddaMonk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously! It's not like pieces of plastic cracking (ahem, XTB).

3. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is my nightmare. This hood/upper body is connected by these two very tiny screws pushing through slider grooves. For the life of me, I don't know why they don't have a nut or some kind of head on both ends to keep this from happening. It will stay in while in both modes but the transformation itself is extremely tedious if these pop out on you. Be extremely careful I guess, as I always am very careful the first time transforming a new figure and it still wasn't enough.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Markus76

The figure looks amazing. I have Downbeat and he's a better made figure but doesn't look as G1 toon accurate as Jive does. That gawdy red faction background on the chest/hood of Downbeat is the sole reason why I went in on Jive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] What were they thinking?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  5. whitewolfe313

whitewolfe313 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most springs spring back if you compress them. Is this one more stiff? If you compress will it actually stay shorter?

6. Dickyscrubbs

Dickyscrubbs A booby trap that catches boobies…

This one seems to.

7. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone else still waiting to hear from Tf-Direct for payment? First time using them in years and they seem to be lagging way behind everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HAL237

HAL237 Be provocative, be organized

News Credits:
    I can feel the spirit of Scatman Crothers imbued in this figure

3E5523B9-8399-4E73-9EDD-E9EA66FACC93.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
  9. f0cus

f0cus You can call me Sir

Most springs have an elastic limit which depends on the type of spring. One that’s very stiff will likely be compressible if it’s a compression spring not a tension spring.

• Like Like x 1
  10. shiin

shiin Well-Known Member

Has anybody seen such paint chipping on Jive out of the box? It looks like it was handled pretty badly during assembly -- even at the balljoint some of the black paint is off.
    (the other leg is totally fine though)

jive.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

In fairness, Downbeat was an early attempt from 3p companies as far as toon accurate. It was also one of the earliest figures to include a deep ab crunch and some pretty good posability, especially at the time of its release.

It may not have aged well (as 3p tend to), but for its price and what was available when it dropped, it did the trick!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

It would be nice. Unfortunately, that's not how the world works. Every now and then, we gotta put those shop class skills to work!

Fortunately, this is just a toy so either we can work around the issues with a quick task (MP-44s knees, this shoulder issue, or loosening other FT fig joints), or we can send the toy back. Bright side is, when we buy homes, the issues we'll have there will make these small time problems seem like needing batteries in our kid's new toys ("dammit, I forgot to pick up batteries!!"). And a new home is well over 140bucks.

It could be worse, as we're equipped to handle these small issues and not skip a beat. I feel it's best to "suck it up and drive on". We get more outta life that way.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  14. Markus76

Oh he's aged very well for me. It's just that big ugly red faction background that drives me nuts. I would have never bought Jive if not for that, but here we are.

• Like Like x 1
  15. crdavismusic

crdavismusic Vectron Labs-Only Collector

News Credits:
    You make a good point.

There is an upper limit on what we're willing to accept, though, as consumers (not just of collectibles, but across the board).

As a whole, I bet most of us are willing to let a lot slide with Open and Play Springer for $50. Let's say it had poor tolerances, needed a lot of fixes, below average paint, and didn't even include a box. People generally won't have a complaint about having to fix it, since it's cost is so low below the average.

Same with a house that one might get for 50% below an average selling price, or, asking price. "Fixer-upper" comes to mind, which is accurately describing a low-cost option which includes, in its name, things to be fixed.

On the other side of the coin, imagine FT Fort Max - at $750 USD, for example - having to have multiple fixes in order for it to work properly. Would consumers accept it? Or would replacement parts have to be sent out, a la XTB Virtus?

We hold FT to a very high standard, and part of that is due to the fact that they price themselves higher than everyone else (and they usually deliver).

There is a level of quality that most people are willing to accept. My point with Jazz/Jive is that it's pushing the envelope. If it had been $100, sure, it would be easier to justify having to fix a few things. What if this was $500? Would people accept it? I would think not. At $140 most people are fine with it but a vocal minority are not happy paying that much money for something you then need to break the tools out for.

Or, in my case, go buy tools. Because I'm a musician and have no idea how spring tension works.

• Like Like x 9
  16. Criggity

Criggity Well-Known Member

I studied physics and Hooke's law/spring physics in college, but once I took the MCAT all of that info immediately left my brain. Or blacked it out, not sure which.

I appreciate the people that come up with these fixes and show us how to maximize our fun though.

I'm still waiting on BBB to send me my final invoice. Last week they told me 3-5 days for the invoice so batch 2 should be coming up fairly soon

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    Yes. The left leg on mine had a few places where the paint has chipped off. The right leg however is perfect.

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Look who showed up finally anything I should be careful with before I handle this guy?
    FE7BD37D-FCAD-4EAD-A4E2-8A02713B765C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. werewolfspice

werewolfspice Bat Chain Puller

Ebay:
    I have been called a Fans Toys hater, a Fans Toys fan boy. I've been accused of loving this figure too much because it was a worthy replacement for my broken downbeat, and hating this figure too much because I found it to be a little disappointing, all because I was "trying to start drama" and most of that happened in this thread.

...But these comments, me ol chaps, are a bridge too far.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good point I wonder if I can print something for the screw to secure to?

• Like Like x 1