Fans Toys FT-45 Spindrift 2.0 (Masterpiece Seaspray)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by OriginalFire, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

A scale chart is useless as a reference point if it rarely or never actually matches the fiction.

• Like Like x 5
  2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Counterpoint: Inconsistent animation doesn't invalidate the target scale chart. If the physical products match it, that's what matters, since they have a fixed size.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Why is a fixed size important if it doesn't actually represent any sort of fiction? Fanstoys could just draw their own scale chart on a napkin and use that as its "fixed size" if that really mattered.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean there's like a whole episode DJJ posted where Bumblebee and Seaspray are hanging out at the same height and it looks good. We're gonna have more of an association with episodes and interactions than whatever the intent was. That's why people think Rumble is blue, it's a mistake that became the reality. Also I like the variety of heights and body types, it's nice having some chunky characters smaller than carbots in front of the big guys.

• Like Like x 8
  5. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Well, that's another Fanstoys figure for me. I, once again, didn't like any of the competition figs including FT ver. 1.0. But this 2.0 punches me right in the nostalgic button. Bought.

I'm very interested in what Fanstoys version of Cosmos will look like, because that was one, that I feel, that none of the other 3rd parties really nailed, in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The "scale chart" IS useless if held to draconian standards because it was rarely followed. It is only useful for a "ballpark" scaling.

As these forums prove time and time again, everyone holds a different idea of "nostalgic" standard from what ever particular reference that is stuck in someones head. Weather it is someone saying, "According to scale chart, he (in this case Seaspray) is almost as big as Warpath" or someone posting cells from a singular episode of animation showing Seaspray and Bumble are the same height. You are ALL wrong and also ALL correct. The only thing that is absolute is that Seaspray is smaller than the average carbot.

This goes for pretty much every character. Scale and even character design and colors were all over the place. It does no good to bitch about a particular developer being few milometers shorter or taller or, in the case fo another caracter getting the same bitch treatment lately, if a deco is a purple outline on a grey wing instead of a full purple wing. Someone will always find an example to the contrary. You are ALL wrong and also ALL correct. This is a particular developers interpretation.

Just throw out that damnable scale chart. Most of them are altered or compiled by fans anyway. Same goes for the color charts. Most of the time people are complaining and post an image to back up their claim, it is some fan created image. Just let the devs do their jobs. It is bad enough that the fan base doesn't let them be artists and do their own thing. Everything has to be "G1" which is a friggin moving target because every episode had grotesque errors. I'm surprised that there isn't someone out there complaining that every deco of Optimus is wrong and he should be solid blue because of that one episode error where he was all blue for a few seconds.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. franpincho

franpincho NOT a FT Only collector

This looks good. V1 utterly sucked so much that a V2 was in the works not so long after it. Fastest V2 in existance.

• Like Like x 2
  8. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    Who actually bought V1 and said to themselves "That is Seaspray" He looked CHUG to me so I didn't even bother to buy him, one the worse FT figures aesthetically.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    C'mon now, you know why some people really bought that thing. It was debatable if it was even better than the Hasbro version.

10. sifu74

sifu74 Banned

News Credits:
    To hopefully flip it for $300

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wh33ls

Wh33ls Original G1 kid, and loves Beasties as much, eh!

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Thanks for reminding me.:redface2: 
    :banghead: I'm still waiting for either HasTak or any 3rd parties to bring me my solid blue Optimus Prime. All the Primes released so far I've hated cause he was the wrong color!:yuck 

• Like Like x 3
  12. Leonwave

Leonwave Well-Known Member

i'll pass on this one, i think neptune does a good enough job

It's kinda funny maybe some will point at V2 spindrift being more cartoon accurate with his small fat dumpy body, but then forget that sheridan is a lot more leaner than he was in the cartoon, some people seem to to use cartoon accuracy and scale when it suits them

13. Futureye

Futureye NoNeedToTurnOnYourBlinkerIfYou’reAlreadyInADitch.

I agree Leonwave.

14. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

That's kind of a good point. If, a few years from now, we get a Sheridan 2.0 with more of his toon chonk, I wonder how many people will be reconsidering their preference for Sheridan 1.0's "heroic" proportions.

But at the same time, that's what MP collecting is always about: constantly moving on to the next best thing.

15. roach

roach Well-Known Member

I don't think there is to much difference between Sheridan and toon warpath compared to spindrift version 1 toon seaspray

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Futureye

Well said Alph, i easily agree that too. That’s just the way it is. It is the cruelty of this hobby. And the wallet does not thank.

17. Futureye

Little correction to my text...i agree, that Neptune does a good job, but i have to give gredit to Fanstoys version of Warpath...that figure is very, very close to that cartoon Warpath. Not much they can do better. Maybe middle section and threads colouring, if we really, really compare it to the cartoon. Truly collector’s item.

18. Ragnar454

Ragnar454 Well-Known Member

Seaspray wasn’t on the official scale charts that were found, only fan made ones which mean nothing.

Surprisingly he was consistently drawn as only 2 sizes. Head to head with bumblebee/beachcomber, or bumblebee’s head up to the propellers of seaspray. Just like the pics that ft posted.

There isn’t a precedent in the official scale chart or the toon for him to be any bigger than bumblebee. But to each there own.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the transformation was fun, intuitive and satisfying... but I'll agree all day long with anyone who says FT's v1 Spray just wasn't the iconic look for the character. And... I eventually parted ways with my FT version. Still have Keith's on my shelf however and he looks great, but I know that FT will absolutely perfect this design when they release their v2.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this guy must be next up available to pre-order for around December.

Unless they want to surprise us with Chomp or something, he’s the most finished character they’ve had on display.