Fans Toys FT-41 Sheridan (Masterpiece Warpath)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by JPrime, Jul 14, 2018.

1. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Some people refer to a figure as CHUG that's meant to scale with Hasbro's mainline Classics/Universe/Generations/Siege/Earthrise/whatever.

Other people use it (often derisively) to denote anything that isn't Sunbow-accurate to a fault (even if super Sunbow is a relatively recent development in the actual official MP line).

I'm not a psychic, I don't know what BadCube's intentions were, but given that basically everything else they've done has been scaled with the official MP stuff I think they meant Wardog to be an MP Warpath, and most people who bought him probably did so to use with their MPs. Aside from being a beefy boy he actually is fairly cartoon accurate, and his alt mode and real-world details fit with the MP line at the time. Plus he's way too big to scale with actual CHUG stuff.

But he's not as skinny as the animation, so CHUG.:rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 15
  2. Reygn

Reygn Banned

Just don't do G1, leave it be. I want Warpath to be Ironhide on synth-en, and absolute hulk of a bot, but that isn't G1.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Knight Prime

Knight Prime QC 33

Just came in by way of TCP

20200411_163449.jpg

• Like Like x 21
  4. El Duque

El Duque Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, he definitely has forward movement at the hips.

Got mine in today, haven't transformed him yet so I can't comment on that. Already looks great on the shelf in bot mode though, articulation is just fine for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  5. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Paik's review shows he has a full 90-degree forward ab crunch and his legs can move forward and up 90 degrees as well.

Regarding CHUG/MP/etc -- regardless of what each individual might find more or less appealing, the intent behind Masterpiece G1 figures is to evoke the nostalgia of the toys and cartoon we experienced as kids in the '80s. If that isn't you, then you are not the primary intended audience. It's great if you enjoy them too. More power to you. Just try to keep that in mind when you pine for major visual changes that diverge from the source material.

Changing Warpath into a big hulking tank completely removes it from being an authentic take on the G1 character and the Masterpiece scale, as it would have lost the script, so to speak. It would no longer evoke the nostalgia for the original character that is behind all of us 30-and-40-somethings spending thousands of dollars to fill shelves with G1 Masterpiece figures, creating this market in the first place.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Chris C137

Chris C137 Have some self respect. Take the QC sticker off.

News Credits:
    Lol, so much for Dead Ends "automatic forcefield" that makes his hull "impenetrable"

• Like Like x 4
  7. DJofSYN

DJofSYN Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    I agree. Although I wish Warpath was more representative of an actual tank but we have to keep in mind this was the character they gave us and we shouldn't try to change that. That being said he was never one of my favorite characters but he will display nicely next to the ones I admire. Throwing in a huge bulky tank would make him stand out in the crowd.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Throw him beside the likes of Inferno, Grapple, and Hoist, and BC Wardog isn't that out of place. Place him beside V2 Bee, XTB Seaspray, and any of the other minibots, and Sheridan seems to fit just fine.

9. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    • Like Like x 7
  10. RustyScreamer

RustyScreamer Lurkin everyday, rarely postin

It looks like Deadend is um, Dead..........:p 

• Like Like x 1
  11. the oaf

the oaf Well-Known Member

So, it's obvious you're a 'toon or bust collector, and your opinion (and it is only an opinion) is that anything deviating from that lumpen aesthetic is CHUG, regardless of it's intentions.

So, are MP-10 and MP-21 CHUGs now MP-44 and 45 are out? Are the Datsun brothers and Wheeljack?

And anyway, you're wrong about what MP's are, and I'll leave you with this quote from someone who knows a hell of a lot more about what the term "Masterpiece" means than you ever will.

shogo.jpg

His lack of skinniness is exactly why I like Wardog. His size and heft fully represent a character that turns into a tank. He's a blunt heavy hitter... not a lightweight.

I was following the progress of Sheridan, as I was kind of interested, as he does look good in his own way, but the moment I saw that tiny tank mode and those spindly shoulder and ankle joints, I was out. Wardog craps bigger'n him. ;) 

• Like Like x 8
  12. the oaf

And just to throw another iron in the fire... that particular bit of animation looks a hell of a lot more like Wardog than Sheridan. :p 

• Like Like x 7
  13. User_96283

User_96283 Banned

Haha I was thinking that too.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    That was true when it was true, from MP10 to maybe MP21, but that's not the officially masterpiece philosophy anymore. That's why the plus versions exist for Hasui era figures. It's an attempt at a do-over to apply the new toon aesthetic onto the old Hasui era designs as much as possible. It's not perfect but it makes them fit in more with the current line.

• Like Like x 2
  15. octobotimus

octobotimus Bad company ruins good morals

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Honestly just makes them look ugly. Feel bad for the designer having to watch them screw up his designs with bland paint jobs

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  16. the oaf

So what is the new official philosophy? Can you link us to it stated somewhere, or is it just a vague consensus reached by the fans, and nothing official actually exists?

You can paint an orange yellow, but it'll never be a grapefruit... just a weird looking orange. My point is, if there is a new official philosophy, then just repainting old figures doesn't gain that philosophy any merit. 90 percent of the aesthetics are the mold itself, and repainted Hasui figures are always going to be more representative of that era than any other.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I... what? No, that's not common knowledge. That's not even knowledge. At best that's an opinion but I'd say it's actually just straight up false. Chug = Classics Henkei Universe Generations and is generally used for other similar mainline figures or 3P figures designed to fit in with toys from those lines. There are a lot of MP figures that deviate from slavish accuracy. In fact I'd say there are more of those than there are of the slavish ones.

I mean you could say the same for opining that he's a chug or any other statements about him. But that's been brought up in other threads and the mods came in and said that comparisons to other figures of the same character are absolutely on topic as long as they're not blatantly trolling.

Personally, I like my MP Warpath and I also like the FT MP Warpath I'm getting on Monday.

Not trying to make a point or anything but I've disassembled Generations Metroplex and there's a ton of lube in his joints. Can't comment on how widespread that is among other figures but you said "if any" and it was an example I knew.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Teletran-1

Teletran-1 Wellest-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obviously opinions are like assholes, but to me they're much better. There's more paint, they're cleaner and brighter. Just look at Wheeljack going from bare cheap looking plastic to bright white paint. They now have additional faces and display options. It's a step up objectively with materials.

Wheeljack.jpg

Yes, in fact I have just the thing from the man himself

hasui2.JPG

• Like Like x 10
  19. Knight Prime

Knight Prime QC 33

The 'new' HasTak philosophy is to make their 'newer' releases cartoon accurate with the main focus on articulation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jackisking

jackisking Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "We are changing the direction of Masterpiece to make them better articulated. Until now we had mainly prioritised the forms before and after transformation. From now on articulation is being considered from the beginning."
    -Masterpiece Sunstreaker interview.
    Takara MP-39 Masterpiece Clear Pictures, Designer Team Interview Translation - Transformers News - TFW2005

Toon-accuracy and articulation.

• Like Like x 3