Fans Toys FT-31A-E Marauder (Masterpiece Menasor/Stunticons)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Jun 29, 2018.

1. arobichaud

arobichaud Active Member

I’m really enjoying where this thread is going

• Like Like x 5
  2. Sinestro00

Sinestro00 Fully vaccinated and ready to party!

If Bandit plus trailer is over $350, keep your eyes on my BST thread, cause all of my FT combiner bots are going up for sale. And FT can release whatever other combiners they want at whatever price they want, because I won’t buy any of them. I’m at the point in my collecting habit right now that, no matter how nice Menasor, Superion, et al. may end up, I don’t want to look in a display case and see a bunch of regret, since their not worth that much to me.

• Like Like x 6
  3. BIOMEC

BIOMEC Terrorcon, aka "Ratchetman"

It would be funny if FT did the same thing with the trailer as XTB did but at double the price and without any of the criticism.

I am quite happy with Roadking and Magnum, so I couldn't care less for the second trailer. By the way... Bobby said some interesting theories about FT today...

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. primatives

primatives Well-Known Member

Does anyone here think that FT could be shooting themselves in the foot and these price hikew could aoon price people out of their products? FT make great products but the prices are creeping to a point where the price outweighs the value for what you're getting.

• Like Like x 10
  5. Okicyurnatp

Okicyurnatp O_o Master of the ID 10 T error o_O

I thought that has been the case for some people

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

The issue is that they have a ceiling for how many figures they can produce. It's not like Hastak, where more success can translate into more product. These guys are an under-the-radar side business, so that puts a cap on things.

So let's say, just for example, that they can only make a maximum of 5,000 units of a given figure.

And let's say there are 10,000 people who want that figure...5,000 who are willing to pay $500 per figure and 5,000 who are only willing to pay, say, $200.

Fanstoys can either sell the figure for $500 and get $2,500,000, or sell the figure for $200 and get 1,000,000 and create even more of a mad dash because twice as many people are trying to buy the same amount of figures. Fanstoys gains nothing in the latter scenario. Until fewer than 5,000 people are willing to pay $500, Fanstoys has no reason to charge less than $500.

The only way to keep the prices from skyrocketing further, honestly, is to keep the hobby as niche as possible. But with how Fanstoys fans constantly promote the brand and post cool-looking pictures all over the internet (and I'm guilty of this myself), we're our own worst enemy.

• Like Like x 5
  7. BIOMEC

Only for FansToys, since other 3P companies produce more toys and they don't restrict themselves to fewers runs of toys per batch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only way to get price going down is simple. Just open up the economy. Once people start living their normal lives again i.e. drinking in bars/pubs, going on holidays, paying rent, mortgages, zero stimulus, etc naturally there will be less money to spend on collectibles.

The craziness started with the pandemic, so returning to normal should at least bring back some semblance of sanity.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

What other third party companies do you mean, and how many units are they currently producing compared to Fanstoys?

• Like Like x 1
  10. edgecrusher

edgecrusher Pepperidge Farm remembers TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Other than Bandit, I would like to see FT Constructicons and an Optimus Prime before Takara tries to roll them up. Maybe the FT OP will be set up as a deadman switch where if Takara tries to shut them down, it releases to market automatically, and is so good as the apex FansToys product that collectors everywhere cover up their MP-44s out of shame.

• Like Like x 3
  11. BIOMEC

I don't know exactly the numbers but TFC for example, produce more batches than Fanstoys.

The Horrorcons from KFC have had multiple runs too.

12. BIOMEC

I believe they received a warning from Hasbro, I don't think they are going to shut down any time soon, but their figures won't be as readily available than before. UT had to retire due to IP infringement.

Jiang Xing has its TigerHawk on hold due to copyright issues too... Highly stylized figures or new characters are the way to go...

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  13. KingSnarl00

KingSnarl00 Well-Known Member

I agree. If Bandit and the trailer come out to be that price, then I will not buy that or any other combiners from Fanstoys. These prices are just ridiculous, and I refuse to pay such absurd prices.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Disco 25

Disco 25 Well-Known Member

I agree from a personal standpoint. I'm spending more than what I would in other times because I'm not spending my money on other things. I only have a few more characters to go before I've finished my s1-2 and movie collection so I'm not too worried. The price is always relative to what you're willing to spend. I started collecting two years ago and I think I've spent almost £10k in that time which sounds alot and it is, but also I could have bought a new BMW and it would have cost me triple that. So I just think myself lucky I'm not into buying nice cars (unless they are made of plastic and have an autobot symbol). Some hobbies are more expensive, some less, it's all relative to your circumstances and what you value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

You wrote alot of stuff to say"supply And demand"

• Like Like x 5
  16. TransformerFanatic

TransformerFanatic Well-Known Member

G1 is safe AFAIK because that IP is long since public domain in China. JX is probably having issues because BW is a much newer series - although from what I thought I understood it should have been safe (22 years since the last episode aired). I know someone more knowledgeable about Chinese IP law and I'll ask them.

• Like Like x 5
  17. BIOMEC

Then why did FT go into hiding?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Doom Slayer

Doom Slayer Well-Known Member

Are they? Genuine question.

• Like Like x 5
  19. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They have to go into hiding because they are very successful. Other people simply close down.

20. Bruticus88

Bruticus88 Bruticus devastate Devastator!

No. They are not hiding. They recently released Smokey, SpinDrift... now the Insecticon reissue... and have several other figures scheduled for this year. Some people are just not fans of FT.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2