Fans Toys FT-26 Hitch (Masterpiece Hoist)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ArkhamSoldier, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collect Bot and Alt mode copies so I need two Hoists.
    I have XTB’s (I skipped all the others) and actually thought I had bought a 2nd Toon edition copy but I’m not seeing it anywhere on my shelf so I must have missed getting another. Had the opposite happen with Seaspray, was sure I hadn’t bought a second and was on TaoBao finalising a purchase when I turned my head and spotted two FT Seaspray sitting on my shelf!! You know your collection is getting out of hand when you can’t even remember if you have one or two of a character!!

For Hoist #2, I think it’s going to be Takara (KO) for me.

I’m normally all in on FansToys for my MP’s but I simply don’t understand the Chrome legs. Such a weird decision, given their recent history. I suppose after the mix and match on Mirage I should have expected it. FT have this really weird obsession with vac-metalised chrome/metallic colours - they keep trying to sneak it in everywhere - Cliffies Headlights, Skyfires calves, Mirage’s missile, Blaster’s door. And let’s not forget that brief period when they were trying to push a shiny metallic Brawn and Warpath - two characters whose alt modes explicitly make zero sense in shiny metallic.
    FT are just weird sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Destron1

Destron1 dalianjj's new account.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    The retailers are moist with Hoist!!!

It's raining Hoist, it's raining Hoist ...........

• Like Like x 5
  4. Sunbow Prime

Sunbow Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sadly, imo both Fans Toys and Takara have completely screwed up Hoist if we're going by the Sunbow model. It's not supposed to be long-legged like Trailbreaker. The height of the legs is supposed to be about the same distance from the top of his head to the bottom of the chest. Both of them put realistic details all over the truck that aren't in the model, and then there's the chrome legs on Hitch even though they used a pretty good gray for the arms.

• Like Like x 2
  5. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

I fear that TT Hoist will be just as tall as FT Hitch and TT Grapple because of that.

6. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

I'll have to see TT's in-hand photos and perhaps a review or two before making a commitment. The recent sales for Hitch has me leaning towards that direction. TT's figures are notoriously trash from the back; it's like they only focus on the front of the bot mode and don't clean up or forget about the rear. I can't say that on the official thread because I'll be crucified by TT loyalists and fanboys.

From TT's preliminary pics, neither version of Hoist looks outstanding, both look good, but this is not a character that I need to have in my collection as I was never a huge fan besides when he SOMEHOW mass shifted into an obese humanoid size to sit inside of Huffer. Also, I HATED his faux Brit accent and thought it was stupid.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad they're not going by the Sunbow model!

• Like Like x 5
  8. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Interim Head Warehouse Spelunker

News Credits:
    I love Hitch’s heroic proportions and shelf presence, all that beautiful lead paint.

• Like Like x 7
  9. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    agreed. I enjoy how FT takes the crappy drawn cartoon as "inspiration" and then adds their own "flavor". They take derpy characters like Hoist and Seaspray and make them cool. Still derpy but in a heroic way. I hope FT doesn't continue to loose their way like they did with Recorder/Blaster. It's a good figure but toon to a fault. I like what they did with Hitch and think it is the best Hoist out ther or even comming out. Takara too toon and just not well built anymore.

EDIT: I guess the only thing that I think they could have done better would be to have used silver or chrome instead of white on the arms. It is a bit of a mismatch to use silver on the feet, chrome on the legs and white on the arms... That was a dumb decision.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  10. TylerB

TylerB We all know they're supposed to be chrome.

And can't forget that beautiful chrome

• Like Like x 4
  11. Memph99Q4Ev

Memph99Q4Ev Well-Known Member

Yeah, this one's a no brainer for me. It's gonna be TT all the way. 30bucks less, more articulation, correct colors, extending arms, claw "grapple" arm, multiple toon faces, licensed vehicle mode with toon accurate face plate option, AND blast effects!?! On top of that (possibly) the correct height? It's too much to look past.

Just like Outrider, FT looks great as always. I look forward to getting more for less though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mrspingly

mrspingly Well-Known Member

New toy!

Well, I say new. I bought him last year but didn't get around to opening him until today. Maybe it was the disappointment of FT Outrider that caused the delay.

Anyway, it's Hoist!

FT_Hoist_1.jpg

FT_Hoist_2.jpg

He's ... okay. Not as bland as Outrider, who was painfully "Fanstoys by numbers". Functional, adequate, but utterly boring. Hitch is at least interesting and does some fun things.

hoists_1a.jpg

hoists_2a.jpg

It's a shame and somewhat odd that you can't add the nozzle attachment to his left arm.

XTB Paean is a better alt mode. There's too much robot showing in Hitch's alt mode - the bed of the truck has the head clearly visible, and there's a lot of orange showing underneath. Paean's rear half looks plausibly trucklike, while Hitch's looks like a folded up robot.

hoists_4a.jpg

Bot mode is a bit more of a tie. Hitch's arms and hips are better. Paean's torso is better. Hitch's neck has that silly panel that doesn't lie flat.

I shall play with them both for a while and then decide whether to keep both or sell one, and which one I'll sell if so.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Sandstormer

Sandstormer Setting sail for Sureshot's search party

Interesting to read your thoughts. I've decided to stick with Paean instead of going for the shiny new thing.

Aside from a hand that likes jumping off, i find him very satisfying and he's done nothing to warrant being ditched, plus i'm looking forward to applying his Toyhax set.

I like to think he'd do the same for me.

14. mrspingly

Indeed, that's probably wise. I thought I'd try Hoist as I had lots of ShowZ points at the time. And my Paean has a small break which makes his bot mode less than perfect. But if your Paean is in good condition then sticking with him sounds like a plan.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't believe I've ever bought reprolabels, but I'm curious to see what they do for Hitch. I think they could potentially work really well for him. Plus G1 Hoist is the toy I've had the longest that I still have, even as broken as he is. I never cared for the look of Paean, and the reprolabel set for it didn't really change my mind. Same with Lorry. I've had Artifex as my Hoist, but looking at him now he doesn't work that well.

16. mrspingly

I had Artifex as my first MP Hoist, but it was a bad copy. Everything was loose and ill-fitting. I think it must have been a bad copy as my copy of MMC Terraegis is really good. I swapped out Artifex for Paean and thought this was a definite improvement. Not just better quality than the dodgy Artifex, but much more like the G1 toy in feel and look to me. Paean's alt mode is a bit realistic, perhaps.

For a shiny bot to put on the shelf, I'd vote for Hitch. For the most G1 toy like, I'd vote for Paean. (But, of course, I am biased because of my Artifex...)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was just too much about Paean that bothered me. The worst thing was the shoulder joints through the windshield front and center on the chest, but I also hate the look of the feet, the small wings (never had it in hand, but in pictures they look even smaller than the G1 toy's), the KFC/XTB articulated hands (hated them on every KFC/XTB figure I've bought), and just how skinny he looks.

18. Blingotron

Blingotron Too Poor For Floor Polish

One day sale at BBTS for Hitch. He's $139.99.

FT-26 Hitch

• Like Like x 2
  19. Memph99Q4Ev

Honestly, in the case of Trailbreaker and Hoist, the "backpacks" are pretty clean on both TT and FT versions. Show accurate and not too bulky. Me personally, backpacks don't matter. But, overall, they're not bad on these characters. I think the only ppl that have an issue are actively looking for something to complain about; unfortunately those ppl aren't in short supply these days.

Also, on the mass shift issue, it was the early 80's. They just didn't take this stuff that serious back then. it's pointless to attempt and hold them "accountable" 30yrs after the fact, especially considering that it was a show for 6yr old kids. That's not an attack on anyone's opinion, just facing the reality of the situation. No one knew the franchise would become this.

As far as the height is concerned, I feel that HasTak's version is gonna be fine for height. The official doesn't have a crotch mold, so I think that's gonna make Hoist slightly shorter than Trailbreaker. The same can be seen with Grapple who is slightly shorter than Inferno, to the point where it limits his articulation.

I'm personally going with the official due to the potential height, accurate colors, and more to offer in package. Both versions look great, though.

20. Memph99Q4Ev

Hoist is going to be shorter than the official Trailbreaker AND the official Grapple (which is shorter than Inferno). FT Hoist is going to tower over the official, and the HasTak version will be the correct height yet again. Nothing against this version though. With two vehicle molds having four characters with different heights, I think they did a pretty good job.

There was a Figure King mag released that shows his height. Can't wait to grab one!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1