Fans Toys FT-04 Scoria (not-Slag)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by dalianjj, Nov 15, 2013.

1. shade360

shade360 Well-Known Member

I agree - legs are heavy, though they should have known this when designing?

My main upset is having arms that can't support their own weight, let alone a weapon.

And Mine had already been 'adjusted' by the QC staff - in an attempt to fix, which failed and it still passed the checking and made it out of the factory - is a little off…

I have packed the joints with tape now, so that it can at least rise the arms..

2. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    Having known this figure was gonna be big and heavy from the start I can see now that I don't expect the legs to be able to stay out in the air and hold itself. I personally have y figures looking pretty on a shelf which I transform from time to time. The shoulders are a diff story. They should be able to hold the weapons in any pose. In the end scoria is a great representation of slag and will serve its purpose in my display. I can see FT kind of going into this figure blindly not really knowing what to expect with a figure of this magnitude. I think that its pretty safe to say that from here on out the rest of the Dino line will be rigorously tested before getting to out hands. FT knows what to look for now and can further proceed.

3. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agree completely.

I think the future releases will be better controlled, and the fact that FT is working with retailers on the legit issues demonstrates, to me anyway, that they care about there fan base and care about their reputation.

4. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

From what I understand, very few figures, if any, can hold their legs straight out. As far as my expectation, I expect a figure to have a wide range of motion/articulation and to be able to be put into a wide range of dynamic poses. Scoria should be able to do both...and it doesn't require the ability to do a side kick.

It's fine to say that people expect different things. But some of those expectations can be reasonable and others not. Some people expect a figure to be able to hold a leg in the air. Others expect a figure to feel solid and heavy. Sometimes our expectations are at odds, as in this case. It's unreasonable to expect a figure to do everything for all people.

I have a Mini Cooper. It's a fun little car that is zippy. It's stable and maneuverable. It sucks ass at hauling a lot of cargo (or even having adults in the back) or pulling boats. Am I going to complain that I don't have a lot of cargo room? No. The Mini is doing what it's supposed to do.

Scoria is a big heavy dinobot. It has a lot of die cast. A good figure without issues is highly posable and has a lot of articulation. While it can be put in a lot of dynamic poses it can't hold it's legs in the air.

This is a design choice. It's not a flaw. To hold legs in the air they would likely have had to reduce weight, which might have made it top heavy and less able to stand in a lot of other poses. It may not be what a buyer wants, but that in no way means the figure isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

5. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I like all the arguements back and forth on this, but me thinks FT is being cut some slack for being FT.

When being in the DT thread and seeing people complain about floppy transformation, I find it amusing that some of those same people are saying this is fine, but that is not.

In either case, if this is the norm on the figure, it is the norm on the figure. Personally I expected more from FT in terms of QC and Design of joints. They pushed the envelope with Quakewave, then raised the price and lowered the a quality on the next design for internal workings.

Do I still highly support FT, of course I do. I have their future release already on Preorder. However, I can say I am let down.

Most companies not FT would get lambasted for:
    - The way these hips are (combiners for instance and Metroplex had a fix)
    - The way the shoulders are
    - The crown not recessing (not sure if that actually does)
    - The chipped chrome
    - The arm issues

I mean, that is a nice list there.

Yes FT is doing all they can to resolve what they can and yes they are taking what I think are good steps for the future to avoid these issues. But to be fair across the board, this figure is flawed and not by just one quick fix issue. FT being the name on the box or not.

On the positive end. It is still a good figure and is still recommended as a buy. It is beautiful in both modes and is a great MP figure. But like I said, you raise the price, the already high exceptions get higher.

And before everyone gets all crazy, it's okay to say things like this. Why, cause like people, Scoria is flawed. It's great and has flaws. Why can't you say something is great and at the same time has flaws? It's like, you better be on one side of an issue, or else! No, there is 2 sides to this issue, and BOTH are valid.

6. Zavien

Zavien Veteran

News Credits:
    Agree

7. YOLOrenzo

YOLOrenzo Well-Known Member

My problem with Kronos is the parts forming and crappy transformation. And no piece of Scoria spins around during transformation and has some pretty ingenious engineering that make the transformation fun IMO.

FT pushed everything with Scoria - more parts, more die cast, more chrome, larger size, more complex transformation, more units produced, etc. and this is probably what bit them in the ass - not because they're half-assing this. IMO, the only widespread issue to me are the shoulders and they are already addressing it. They also hired a full time engineer to oversee production, so hopefully there will be less issues moving forward.

They ARE getting called out for these issues. The only one that I don't think is an issue are the hips. As long as it holds dynamic poses it's fine. I'm not too familiar with the metroplex and combiner issues, but I think they had trouble holing poses, so that's definitely an issue.

The weight is also needed to balance the heft of the rest of the figure, so it's a necessity. Also, the hip is designed that way due to the transformation.

8. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

Happy 4th to all of us in the US!

*thinks back to transforming MP-05*

"Flawed" is in the eye of the beholder. *thinks back to transforming MP-09* Some toys are actually flawed in design. I, honestly, don't see any flaws in their design choices. Yes, his legs flop around when you transform him. Plenty of TFs have that problem. (oh god, have any of you played with MMC Cyclops? Flop city.) Yes, friction type joints aren't the best but they're still used on plenty of TFs. I really think a lot of the fandom expects perfection when that's really a high standard that isn't hit even with TT/Hasbro all of the time. Ultimately, I think most of the problems come from the manufacturing process and factory and not FT and their design. Now, I remember the first run of MMC Knight Morpher Commander. Those joints were not designed well. Issues I've seen with Scoria are more factory/QC related and not design. I feel like we'll see less of these problems with Soar.

9. ahchu

ahchu Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I just opened my Scoria and he has 2 left hands! Anybody else have this issue?

10. Che

Che Well-Known Member

Expectations are positively related to the price paid. The production of TT/Hasbro is big enough to allow them to ask for smaller prices. Possible flaws can be excused given the smaller prices paid by consumers. That is not the case with many 3P products, which are niche luxury items (and luxury is associated with perfection...). Still few 3P companies venture themselves in producing not-ko-regular transformable toys at not-so-expensive prices. So, I would say "flawed is in the eye and pocket of the beholder" :D .

11. divinecomedy

divinecomedy JAB-A-WOOOKIE

News Credits:
    The above 2 posts only validates Alucard's post even more. On one hand people keep saying that FT is above the rest, but then they fall back to saying that such and such are common with other companies. Well you can't be above the rest if your design/QC exhibits the same problems with the rest. Which will it be?

12. YOLOrenzo

Man had that happen with MP-11 - sucks dude!

13. YOLOrenzo

When did I say any of that?

14. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

I thought Scoria's dino feet spins around during transformation and Kronos going all floppy with that sliding crossbar thing was ingenious.

As for QC, Huff was tough, but I'll not complain about him. I got $20 bucks off from where I got him. Cubex will get the hard word. The one I'll keep on complaining about, is Perfect Effect Aranea. Holy cow, I never seen any QC so appalling.

15. Keoki420

Keoki420 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry for wasting space guys but last night I decided to bring out the dusty 30D and try to take some pictures with my 7 year old. I posted some pictures and this morning he's asking if I posted any of the pictures that he took. Long story short here it is. His brilliant little mind said that the Dinobots are scratching their heads wondering where the Deceptions are...

[​IMG]

16. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I suppose that could be true. For me, I understand that 3P costs more just due to the nature of how they work. Same way on why Shapeways is so god damn expensive. Though, FT has put out an MP-level product at pretty much official MP-level price in my eyes.
    FT is above the rest in regards to 3P companies in how they take care of everything. TBH, I've not liked many other 3P offerings, so I can't comment on most other companies and what their QC is like and their involvement in the community and response to issues. FT put out a new arm assembly for QW because people didn't like their design choice with the hose. They've also sent out parts for almost anything that went wrong. Again, I'm not familiar first-hand with too many other 3P companies but let me know if any other ones have done stuff like that.

17. Yeled

Yeled Grimlock is King

Why can't it be both? FTs can make a figure that is better than the rest and fits the MP line better than the rest and still have flaws.

On one hand Alucard is right. But it goes both ways. People say "oh, it can't hold up it's leg" and then use that to discredit the whole figure.

No figure is perfect. No figure can be all things to all people. That doesn't make the figure bad. My MP-10 has loose ankles. Does the figure suck as a result? No. It's a fantastic figure. The MP autobot cars are really, really light weight. They don't feel as substantial as other figures. But they are still awesome.

If you are going to require FTs to be perfect in order for them to meet your expectations you'll be disappointed 100 percent of the time. That's not a fair standard. You can have an imperfect figure that is still heads and shoulders above the rest and is still an amazing figure.

18. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    THIS.

19. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Yup, this. FT hits the MP nail on the head in a way that very few other 3P stuff does. Cubex Huff is another, but the paint issues on that figure are at least as bad as Scoria's inability to do a standing kick. I wish all Scorias had been as tight as mine, guess I lucked out on this fella regarding QC, but in terms of design, engineering and aesthetics I'd still take a bad Scoria over a good version of most of the other stuff out there.

20. FatedLazarus

FatedLazarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^ This makes me want to have kids. Great pic from an early TF fan. You are raising him well :lol