Fans Hobby - Overlord & Powermaster Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 1987olds442, Nov 25, 2016.

1. CybertronianFan

CybertronianFan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOVE that this is a Powermaster and not a headmaster. Here's hoping the colored test shot reveals some improvement on the details and aesthetics.

2. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If this wasn't MP size I would try to pick this up as I need a new Prime on my shelf.

3. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Hulk-Buster Prime?

• Like Like x 3
  4. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually really dig this. I know I'm normally in the toon accuracy camp, but there are a handful of characters I don't think of in those terms. Powermaster Prime is one of them, because to me, he was never Ginrai. He was a rebuilt and redesigned Prime "brought back from the dead."

That's how he always existed in my head canon due to how he was marketed in the U.S., so I don't want a toon accurate Super Ginrai (and certainly not God Ginrai with Godbomber and Apex armor) but just a big, thick, chunky, beefy, powerful, baddass looking Optimus Prime that is reminiscent of one of my favorite childhood toys of all time.

This ticks those boxes for me. My only concerns are:

1) Relative scale to masterpiece Prime (want him to at least be taller, even if not to "scale" whatever that even means in this case.)

2) Articulation. It isn't clear from the pics of the renders whether his smaller bot mode Prime has forward and back shoulder motion, and whether Powermaster Prime bot mode has hip rotation instead of just side to side.

3) As ever, price lol. :p 

I want to see how MakeToys' take on him ends up too though. And if anyone else comes forward with one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Optimus.Magnus

Optimus.Magnus Swingin' the chain

Man, the bot mode looks great but I can't get behind the alt mode trailer.

6. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Is think this is a very interesting company. I see some very ripped off looking stuff (Overlord) and some brilliant stuff (scourage and this). Very interested to see where we go with this they definitely have my attention.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nems

Nems Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I still like it. If I got nitpicky, there's stuff like the head being visible in truck mode and the feet just hanging out at the back of the trailer, but it still looks good overall. He pretty clearly has a very basic transformation, which may cut down on engineering costs and parts count, making him a cheaper toy? Or that's just wishful thinking...

Anyway, if he hits at the right price, I might wind up getting him and MakeToys Thunder Manus. Optimus is one of the few characters I don't mind having multiple versions of. Especially Powermaster versions.

8. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    I dont mind the cab on his back. its the feet sticking over his head in combined mode [and sticking off the back of the trailer, too, but eh] that im still not the biggest fan of, but what would the solution to that be? I have no idea. I just know itd look better if a way could be figured out. Maybe if there was a way to get the ankles to kind of extend so they could fold onto the back one more time. it'd cut the size of it down by half, at least. But yeah. Itd be a hard thing to fix! I feel like they're pretty settled on most the major engineering here. Its good! I still dig the aesthetic of it all, and he looks really neat. Just a touch away from perfect, is all

nofeet.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  9. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It would have been nice if they used some of the leg mass to elevate the torso and head. Still looks great though.

10. IanAdams

IanAdams Secret Octopus

Well, we currently have:
    This guy
    Striker Manus
    Thunder Manus (the MT PMOP)
    Primorion
    Gcreation's Prime
    GenerationToy's Prime
    Iron Factory's Prime
    Fans Hobby's G2 Prime

And if you're cool with games
    Planet X Jupiter
    Alpha Pack

Not to mention Hasbro's Powermaster Prime, Takara's Super Ginrai, and Hasbro's G2 Laser Prime.

It's a good and expensive time to be a Prime fan.

Edit: Oh, and SND's Primo Vitalis and Beezleboss's kit.

11. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Prime wars have started, and I still haven't decided on the dinobots.

12. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    I like the look of this, and the Overlord.

However, I can't shake the feeling that the more established companies will bring out their own version soon enough, and both the fans hobby designs, while good, have room for improvement.

So I'm not sure...I don't do stand ins, and these look really good... just not quite sure if they're the definitive mp sized versions of the characters.

Unlike their g2 prime and black version, which I can't see getting beaten...

• Like Like x 1
  13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Overlord looks great. PMOP is... okay. The huge block of feet behind his head is problematic. And it looks like the big guns on the side of the trailer might get in the way of the cab turning. The hands are the wrong color. And the head sculpt doesn't capture PMOP at all, imo.

The level of detail is fantastic, though. And I like that it's a separate, fully-functioning regular Optimus combining with the trailer. Are there any pictures of the Powermaster unfolded into a figure?

14. jamarmiller

jamarmiller S.K.A.R. LEADER

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    seriously love everthing about this.........except those freaking legs behind his head in combined form. that is the one thing that is holding me back on this. If they just had changed that one thing arghhhhh it would be perfect

• Like Like x 2
  15. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    True, there are a lot of Primes coming up, but so far none have tickled my funny bone enough to get. I did pick up the Voyager scale MP 10 for the time being, but only until something I like better comes around.

16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The solution would be to have the knee joint slide down inside the leg and have it open in the back so the though could swing through. That way, when transformed, the knee joint would be halfway between the top and bottom. Then some space would need to be created below for the tops of the legs to sink into. Of course that wouldn't work at all if he has a waist swivel. In that case, the legs would have to be made to collapse somehow which would be challenging to pull off.

I posted a bunch of pictures I found at Daimchoc's a while back. There's a front view and a back view of the powermaster in bot mode... err human mode, along with one of him standing next to Optimus' foot.

17. AnonymousDwell

AnonymousDwell Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Obligatory varied source material comparisons! ^_^

G1 box art (Point of interest since many seem to confuse it. Powermaster Optimus Prime when originally released in the U.S., unlike Hasbro's recent commemorative reissues, did NOT come with God Bomber or Apex armor. Just Prime, trailer, and the Powermaster... whose name was Hi-Q, not Ginrai. This Prime was a unique character, a rebuilt Optimus Prime, not Ginrai. This is why so many of us clammor for PMOP - analogous to Super Ginrai - rather than God Ginrai.)

5916_Powermaster_Prime_Package.jpg

G1 (Japan) cartoon Super Ginrai (equivalent to Powermaster Optimus Prime as we knew him - never featured in a U.S. animated series sadly. Only released as toy.)

hqdefault (18).jpg

Ladybird continuity:

Ladybird_powermaster_prime.jpg

G1 televised "season 5" (recap/best of season) live action (sort of) intro PMOP (one of my fondest childhood memories, as cheesy as it was lol):

zob_g1-s5_optimus.jpg

Dreamwave comics Powermaster Prime depiction:

5917_PowermasterPrime_Dreamwave_Profile1.jpg

And now this figure:

15203365_367955673554866_6618720810417328798_n.png

Definitely a unique take, inspired by, but not conforming to, any of the source material.

The reason this works for me, whereas normally I demand as close to toon accuracy as is reasonable, is because Powermaster Optimus Prime (not Ginrai) is for all intents and purposes a non-entity in the U.S. animated continuity. My only real relationship to the character was the toy, and this looks like a pretty awesome, highly detailed update to the toy. (Sans base mode, unless they have yet to reveal it.) The blue sticking up is an eyesore, but if this thing is articulated and affordable enough (both of which remain to be seen) I will probably go for it.

That said, if another company does something even more nostalgic for me before then, I'll likely go for that instead. But how "toy" like, blocky, and simple it looks, are pros for me rather than cons. For now at least. Depends on whether that hinders articulation.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mostly like it. As I said before, I'm not keen on the fake truck transformation. The smaller bot also looks more like an oversized chug than a MP. True, they never said this was an MP, just MP scale. I just think it could've been done nicer.

Like everyone else, I'm not liking that blue behind the head though I kind of wonder if it'll be less glaring when it's a real figure, not a render.

I think this figure would be fun to try to mod and make some improvements. Make the bot to resemble G1 prime a bit more and see if anything can be done about those feet behind his head. Maybe make the head resemble the old PM prime a bit more (though really I was never that big a fan of the weird circles on the sides of his face). Might be fun.

19. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the figure looked the way you photoshopped it, i'd buy it instantly. As it is, that rear profile behind the head is a dealbreaker and kills what otherwise looks like an incredible toy.

20. ph4zed

ph4zed Sarcasticon

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I can't really see them all jumping ship to do this guy... but we got 5 F'ing Springers out of nowhere all at once, so maybe.

• Like Like x 1