Fans Hobby MB-16A Machine Eagle(Machine Wars Optimus)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, Apr 2, 2020.

1. PlasticSpark

PlasticSpark Wannabe Wrecker

• Like Like x 4
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anyone asked Fans Hobby about the unreleased Universe Menasor deco?

motor.gif

• Like Like x 3
  3. Requiem Prime

Requiem Prime Well-Known Member

If you were going to do Menasor as a single entity, this is how to do it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It should also be noted that the Universe was supposed to be Motormaster, Hasbro was just calling Menasor because they didn't have the legal okay to use name Motormaster at the time.

Either way Fans Hobby can call it Motor Eagle or somesuch.

1231555_204995249677592_712517948_n_1378157656.jpg Unreleased Transformers Universe Menasor Design Image (2)__scaled_800.jpg Unreleased Transformers Universe Menasor Design Image (1)__scaled_800.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could see them using these colors on the Thunderclash version and calling it Broken Mirror Lightning Eagle.

• Like Like x 3
  6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    I am so close to caving on this guy, but the cheapest I've seen him for is $275 Canadian. But with import fees it'll easily be over $300. That's a tough pill to swallow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. timorvitae

timorvitae Well-Known Member

Can anyone take more detailed photos of both heads? I'd really appreciate it.

8. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:

The colors for Machine Eagle and Lightning Eagle are ridiculous, colors I'd never put together for a superhero costume or robot armor...but dammit, they just work on these figures. They look absolutely spectacular. These guys are definitely on my Get List.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Verthawk

Verthawk Duly-Appointed Enforcer of Universal Equity

I don’t have Power Baser yet. If I had to choose, should I get Machine Eagle or Power Baser? I have a ton of Optimus Primes in the classic Red/Blue color scheme. I’m interested in Machine Eagle as he is so different

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I have a few questions after having this guy for a while:

1. is there any sort of trick to transforming the cab for combined mode? Nothing feels like it’s gonna break, but nothing really feels that happy either. The waist feels under pressure, as do the legs folded up into the backpack. There’s also no way I can find to move the combined mode head smoothly between the feet, unless I’m just missing something obvious. It took me fifteen minutes of fighting with everything coming untabbed to get him combined.

2. is there any sort of trick to the chest plate in the smaller robot form? I know it wasn’t part of the original tooling, but it barely hangs on and pops off with the slightest jostling. There’s the tabs on the sides and the pegs on the bottom, but is there a connection around the top I’m missing?

3. is this version/Lightning Eagle fully compatible with their God Armour? (I assume not with the new chest piece on at least)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  11. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Be careful. It’s a pain in the ass. I’ve found no smooth way to do it. My Thunderclash smokestack broke while trying to combine the first time. Fortunately FH has great customer service and took care of me. There’s certain ways everything has to be aligned in order to get it to hold together, and even then I can’t get it secure.

Nope I used a little future polish and it holds better than it used to..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Verthawk

Split Lip, do you actually like the figure? I have him in my pile of loot, and I don’t know if I want to pull the trigger. For $200, I want a great figure and I’m not sure that’s what I’ll get

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I do, he’s not flawless, but the flaws don’t spoil him. He’s huge, chunky, and solid. Nothing feels flimsy or fragile.

I’ve found the “trick” when coming in the folded cab with the trailer is to slightly separate the legs and arms to get the head through, but I’ve not quite mastered it. It still feels a little under pressure, though. My biggest issues are the waist of the small robot and the new roof piece not securely attaching in any mode. There’s nothing locking the waist into position, which is really weird for a toy this size and of this design, and the hinge inside the torso is weaker than the one at the base of the waist. I also find on my copy the arms don’t peg into the sides of the torso well. I’m also not the biggest fan of the unmasked sculpts in person. They’re not the worst, but they’re kinda rudimentary. The roof piece really could’ve been done better. I accept that it parts-forms, but it’s a big hollow piece and easily could’ve had some fold-out clips to better secure it than the guiding tabs going into the shoulder hinges and the pegs at the bottom kinda-sorta fitting around the folded in wheels.

Overall though it’s a great figure. The colours are superb, the articulation is incredible for a guy so big, and everything that works just works. I love how all the weapons use a rail to slide into the hands. No iffy tab tolerances or unsightly semi-circle holes. Plus when the hell will we ever get a Machine Wars Optimus Prime homage again? :lol  $200 is what I paid (in USD) and I’d say he’s definitely worth it for the size, engineering, and quality alone. The issues mostly stem from Fans Hobby trying to make a very different version of Optimus from another.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Verthawk

Thanks for the reply

15. Requiem Prime

Finally broke out mine and messed with him. Super satisfied but also a few niggles, a lot of them you probably heard before.
    The chest piece is loose, the combined head and smokestacks are clunky to feed around. But also a few thoughts of things I feel they overlooked.

Except for the combined head, nothing really attaches to the core robot, it just wraps around. There's one peg at the bottom, but with the masses in play it's practically for guidance. I'm sure the plastic can take it, but I worry about how much the arms make the sides spread against gravity. I was also surprised nothing locks down the arm for the trailer's hitch.

But my biggest nitpick is the turbines are practically resting on top the trailer. The grip of the little fins is enough but not really secure, y'know? And the fins have notches right there and a peg behind them to help. Whatever, haven't given BGB his time yet, but when I get to him I'm looking forward to having the full beast on my desk.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

Do it! Do it Do it!

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I also found that when combined it really doesn't feel all that happy, and then I looked at the back panel and saw it was bent pretty badly. I took the core robot out and found the back grey panel had these two bars running across the inside that collided with the core robot's knees and I cut them out. I also found out mine lacks a ratchet in the right combined ankle pivot. And yeah, getting the combined head through the legs without the arms untabbing inside or breaking the smokestacks is a nightmare. There must have been an easier way to do that, and it never feels secure.

I dunno, it's not a bad toy at all, but I think the honeymoon's over. I'm glad I got it because when are we ever going to get a Machine Wars Optimus anywhere else? But really it doesn't feel all that great after a while. The design is clunky and has lots of bizarre design decisions, like the way the core robot folds up. The trailer is squat and not very pretty, and the sculpt is kind of plain in some areas. I also find all the face sculpts really don't hold up in person. The unmasked faces are too flat, and the mouth-plates are uninspired. (and on the smaller robot, quite ugly) I also find the roof partsforming to be just lazy when, IMO, they should've had it attached via a hinge and just resculpted the faux chest windows to be a faux roof. Or at least just had simple fold-out pegs or clips that could securely attach it to the core robot chest.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

I'd have this guy fighting Toy Deco Megatron and Stunticons
    reduced-galery_image_16131_34097-750x750.jpg mx15t-deathwish-06.jpg images (1).jpeg MX-12T-Youth-Gravestone-01.jpg MP-29-Megatron-In-Hand-images-01.jpg

19. Requiem Prime

Yeah, something about their design gives me a FansProject-in-their-prime kinda chunk and I don't mind that at all. But I'm also getting the vibe they've been doing this for a while, why are you still asking me to be careful about bits vs designing to avoid these issues? And their faces with the geometric lips are ugly. I note none of the headmasters have that look so maybe they're finally moving past it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Yeah, a toy this expensive with this basic of a design shouldn’t have these issues. Why not just design the space between the feet to be wider? Why not design leg flaps that are narrower to fit around the smokestacks? Why not design the panels to fit around the legs rather than be under constant stress?

Just feels like this needed another revision or so, but this is the fourth or fifth release of the mould, no?