Fans Hobby MB-05 (Monsterbot Grotusque)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by daimchoc, Oct 28, 2016.

1. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I was so hovering on the button for all three but I just couldn’t do it cause I have no space to put them. Regret keeping in now

2. TIKnTIN

TIKnTIN … beating a dead horse with a broken record, LoL!

News Credits:
    my dilemma was i knew i was all in for grotesuque and doublecross, but wasn't sure about picking up repugnus to complete the trio. no matter how i tried, i was not enamored by the look of either his bot or monster mode. so in the end i didn't take advantage of the addition trio combo discount, and saved my funds on repugnus for other TF purchase. :p 

but i was anxious about getting two large MP figures, as like you due to space constraints. but i'm so glad i pulled the trigger and don't regret picking them up. they are just gorgeous figures in hand and have a soft spot for amazing looking creaturebots of any/all kind.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Just went to Fans Hobby’s site and they have all three Monsterbots for $25 cheaper than any other online shop I’ve seen. I want to get all at the same time, but I’ll have to wait until after Christmas.

4. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

They are excellent. I picked them up as a trio, on sale a couple of Novembers ago, and I love their aesthetic and engineering. Big and imposing and fun.

5. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    current price is what it was listed during black friday, but there was 35% off, so roughly under $70 each. there was further discount on top of that when bought in a set of three, but i can't recall what that 3 set price was. it wasn't significant enough for me to merit paying an additional ~$60-70 plus shipping (was already ~$40 for two) for i figure i didn't really want.

126521661_3933174240029150_5866127322218160108_n.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Optimus Prime23

Optimus Prime23 Lighting our Darkest Hour

News Credits:
    Damn! If I would’ve known they were having a Black Friday sale, and for only 70 dollars each for all three, I would’ve jumped on that. I’ve been waiting to see if TFSource was gonna have all three for sale for their Black Friday deals, but so far, no go.

7. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    yeah, i had seen these figures here on TFW back in summer and wanted to pick them up. by chance while researching i checked out Fans Hobby FB page and last year they had posted about having a 2019 black friday sale of 33% off including monsterbots figures. so i decided to wait and bide my time until black friday this year to see if they would do a repeat. my patience panned out and the discount was even better this year. :) 

btw, i found the combo set still posted on their FB page… $189 for the set of 3. so about another $5 additional savings per figure at around 40% off.

FireShot Capture 113 - Fans hobby - Home - Facebook - www.facebook.com.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    @GR1ML0CK @Optimus Prime23 i found i got a couple of promo coupons included with my order which are valid until March 31, 2020. one is $10 off min $100, and the other is 15% off min $250. they don't appear to be one time use as it says UNLIMITED use per customer, but not sure if they are limited to one customer. i don't plan to make any other Fans Hobby purchases, so hit me up with a PM if either are interested. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  9. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Thanks man! I’ve decided to wait for that sale to happen again, and it will lol. I’ll bite next time. Also, March 2020 has past:p 

10. TIKnTIN

News Credits:
    whoops, sorry that was meant to be March 31, 2021. :rolleyes: 

btw, anyone have any tips on how i can get FlyPro to hold his gun better? there's no palm tabs on the handle like Feilong/Doublecross's dual guns, so it flops around a lot and it doesn't seem to sit properly given his wrists are so wide and gets in the way of the rear of the gun.

11. Jason Stabler

Jason Stabler Done buying placeholders! Fans Toys is king!

Anyone wanna sell the fire effects for these three Monsterbots???

12. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    The Monsterbots were among the last G1 TFs I purchased as a kid, and nostalgia alone is tempting me to buy one or more of these Fans Hobby homages-- despite how generally silly I find the alts.

Does anyone have recommendations on which of these three edges-out the others? Which would you keep if limited to only one? As a kid I had a preference for Grotusque because I liked his robot mode, but the dragon-tiger thing he becomes is rather ridiculous.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  13. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Feilong. The double-headed dragon is kinda fun and the color scheme looks good.
    I just got Megatooth to complete the set and to me he's the weakest of them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nemesis Compactor

Nemesis Compactor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't have them myself (yet, hopefully someday), but I got the impression from Emgo's reviews that Grotusque/Flypro was the most refined and best realized of the trio.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Assuming nothing has changed since the initial release (I've never checked on subsequent ones) if you care about flame effects then Grotusque came with them for all 3 Monsterbots. There were also additional faces for the other two and fists for Doublecross included with Grotusque, I have no idea if those parts were later shifted to their respective characters or not. That may or may not have value to you, but it is better you know before buying if you aren't doing the full team.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cultofkraken

cultofkraken Cybertronian Metalhead

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have Feilong and Flypro, of the two my favourite is Flypro, he also comes with the most accessories and costs the same. So for one I recommend Grotusk/Flypro.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I appreciate everyone’s recommendations. With a few exceptions, I’m not usually keen on beast-forming robots, but these push the nostalgia button for me, and I really like Fans Hobby’s design aesthetic.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

I also think that Doublecross is the strongest, but they are all good, in their own way. They are wonderfully rendered, even if they are older figures.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Curium

Curium Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It took me so long to figure that out about myself. I kept buying Beast Wars figures in the 90s because they were the Transformers that were available, but even characters I liked such as Inferno I always felt regret after buying the figure. It wasn't until MMC's Feral Rex that I finally realized that outside of the Dinobots I just don't like beast alt modes. Funnily enough RID 2015 helped me realize that beast "bot modes" like most of the Decepticons were in that series seem to appeal to me.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

I don’t like anything from Beast Wars— at all. The whole “organic” thing doesn’t sit well with me. The character designs are unappealing, and despite giving the highly-acclaimed cartoon series several attempts, I found BW unwatchable. But I do make concessions for a few non-vehicle mechanical Transformers in my newer collection, though at this point I have only three (two of Cang’s Predacons and one of Gigapower’s Dinobots). Again, nostalgia is the motivator— Tantrum and Sludge were favorites of mine when I was a kid. Fans Hobby’s Monsterbots would just be another indulgent purchase to pave Memory Lane, but my current interests are rooted solidly in Earth-vehicle alt modes.

• Like Like x 1