Fans Hobby MB-03A/B The Red Dragon (BW Transmetal 2 Megatron)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Cheem The Rup, May 10, 2017.

1. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  2. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 4
  3. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    That video makes me wish there was an updated, 3rd party, Masterpiece-style version of RiD 1.0 Megatron/Car Robots Devil Gigatron. I love that mold, but when you put it next to Fans Hobby's toy, it just looks really gangly by comparison. Or at least dragon mode does. The robot mode is fine. But that dragon mode just looks like he's doing a handstand with these spindly little arms coming out of his waist. Which is what it is. Although, the official mold does have 7-8 other "modes" to work in, so who knows. That would be quite the challenge for a 3rd party company: build a better Devil Gigatron. They'd certainly have enough repaint material to make it worth their wile.

• Like Like x 2
  4. durroth

durroth Maximal

A few things, now that I have this guy in hand:
    The wingspan is huge. I think he might beat out Beast Fire Predaking for most horrendously massive wingspan. The wings look great but they seem to ratchet oh so slightly differently so I can't get them to be perfectly symmetrical and it annoys me to no end.

The pegs on the horns that are supposed to lock his upper jaw in place when its retracted doesn't really align to fit in well, I couldn't figure out a way to do it that didn't damage the figure a bit on the edges of the pegs and the slot. T.T

The ratchets are a bit weak on his beast mode legs. Not a terrible inconvenience but a peeve, nonetheless.

The hands don't really lock in and there's not a *whole* lot of friction keeping them in? I mean, they probably wont fall out casually posing him but I wish they snapped in a bit or something.

These are all probably things that people already knew about the mold (except the giant wingspan. oh god those wings), but since its a new toy to me, I figured I'd share my thoughts.

Semi-important information: The instruction booklet labels the instructions as for "The Red Dragon MB-03A/B", so a second, general release version is pretty likely.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  5. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    MB-03B
    mb-03b.jpg
    FANS HOBBY on Twitter

Unfortunately, it looks like the retail version will be missing the beautiful plastic color gradient that the SDC version had. And that's for starters. Who knows what else this version won't have? No swords? They're not pictured here at least. Fists? Alternate heads?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That is a glorious picture.
    I could do without the weapons. But i need the fists.
    Let's hope they won't get stingy on the atributes and instead lower the price a little to get it closer to the price of their Doublecross.

7. durroth

durroth Maximal

other than the wings though, the only difference I can see in that backshot is *added* paint operations on the tail and possibly a slightly different operation on the pectorals/back ( the trapezoidal areas look like they've been left red, but it's probably just the lighting being weird and making them reflect different. won't know until they show more pictures)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish the same man.

Who knows though, with how Fans Hobby seems to be making different Primes along with their evil counterparts, maybe they'll eventually make a Fire Convoy along with a Gigatron sometime in the future.

9. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sracsose

Sracsose Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Hey guys, sprinted home over lunch to open him and take a few quick shots, I'll post more after work. So far, he's absolutely gorgeous and poses well, but I haven't had time to do much else. IMG_1909.png IMG_1907.png

• Like Like x 5
  11. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    I so want that!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Sracsose

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Alright, round two. Hip ratchets are a little loose, and with the huge wings and the weight of the dragon heads some poses are hard to pull off. I'm not really a huge fan of the hands, they don't look natural in the dragon's mouths, but for me that's fine, as megs with dragon hands is perfectly acceptable. The wings are enormous, incredibly posable, and end up making him one of the most intimidating BW figures to date, in my opinion. Wing ratchets are again a little droopy, but as long as you pose the figure and don't wiggle it, they'll stay in place okay. My biggest complaint is the face swapping. In order to face swap, you need to unscrew the head, remove the face and the painted eyes, replace the new face and the eyes and close it back up. The pegs that keep the face together in mine are very tight and every time I pull the face apart I feel like I'm going to break them. Again, not a huge deal once he finds his place in the detolf.

Overall, absolutely beautiful figure. I can tell this was a labor of love and it really shows in the end product.

IMG_1923.png IMG_1913.png IMG_1921.png IMG_1924.png IMG_1926.png

• Like Like x 2
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Looks much better than that pale color it seems to have in the video.

• Like Like x 1
  14. daimchoc

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  15. Sracsose

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looking at those pictures from Daimchoc, I wondered if there was anyway to give Megs the beast feet in Robot mode like his TMII figure to differentiate the bot modes a little bit. There isn't, unfortunately, but you can create Megatron, abomination mode.
    IMG_1941.png
    Also, dragons on dragons.

IMG_1931.png

• Like Like x 4
  16. durroth

durroth Maximal

the hands look better with the dragon head pegged onto the horns and the jaw folded back. the problem with this is the head does not *want* to go on the horn pegs and definitely doesn't want to come back off, and a bit of plastic damage occurs in the processes.

17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    so is there any word on when the retail version will release and for how much?

• Like Like x 1
  18. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Such a shame Perfect Effect just revealed there's, I'm so much more into that. Plus even though I love Megatron, the price is currently a smidge to high for me. If it goes down with a general release, and I catch it on sale, I might still jump on it. I like the swords, and I do like that it's not letting itself be strict to the design, as I like when 3P companies get a bit more creative. Here's to hoping I can get this down the road too, would be pleasant to have both.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    personally i prefer this over the perfect effect version, but only as a post bm/reborn megatron. if we are talking strictly beast wars megatron then the perfect effect one does a better job of being the tm2, but this is an upgrade beyond that in my mind

• Like Like x 3
  20. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Whatever you want to put it towards, I'd say that's a great idea. I know some people are into BW Uprising, and this seems like the kind of thing that also fits well into that too. Each design is vastly different and I think offers two completely different things I feel. But for me, the big thing holding me back is price. Really would love for him to dip down a bit. I imagine a general release will make that much better.

• Like Like x 2