Fanmade games on pc suggestions?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by TheWarPathGuy, Mar 7, 2020.

1. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

Anything? Unity, unreal, etc?
    I tried Sonic Infinity Engine, but I don't know how to fuck to boot it up. It's installed and everything.
    Need more suggestions.
    Free games please.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

What genres?

Only games featuring commercial IP, any games based on other games or any good free games in general?

Formerly commercial games that are now free?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

Palformers

Good free games and based on existing IP

Formerly commercial games are fine.

4. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Off the top of my head -

New Super Mario Land is a fan remake of the GB game in NSMB style for SNES, run in an emulator to play it on your PC. Super Mario Bros X is something I've seen talked about on the internet a bit but haven't played personally.

Before and After the Sequel and Robo Blast 2 are the Sonic fan games that seem to get talked about the most, although I can't vouch for them personally as i'm not a Sonic guy. Sonic fan game and hacking community is bananas though, so theres probably more worth looking at if you ask somebody in the know about that.

Super Tux is a open source Mario Clone featuring the Linux mascot.

Jill of the Jungle was made freeware by Epic and you can get that from GOG, milage may vary if you're not an ancient DOS gamer though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was AS2M (or some combination of those characters) several years back, a Metroid: Zero Mission-style remake of Metroid 2. While Nintendo hit them with a cease-and-decist soon after release, the executable should be relatively easy to find still.

• Like Like x 1
  6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I am honored to accept your waste

Abobo's Big Adventure - Basically a parody of a whole bunch of NES games, starring Abobo from Double Dragon.

Streets of Rage Remake - An AMAZING amalgam of the entire series. 10 playable characters (some with multiple versions), branching paths, every level from the games plus a few originals, and a shitload of unlockables. Great fan-remixed soundtrack too.
    The developer (Bomber Games) technically did not rip assets from the games, everything was created from scratch...and Sega hit them with a C&D anyway. Should still be easy to find, though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime I am honored to accept your waste

Here's one I forgot:
    TMNT Rescue-Palooza - Incorporates elements from all 3 NES TMNT games, but plays like TMNT II: The Arcade Game. Some levels come from the original games, but some are original (though the jungle level is ripped directly from The Adventures of Bayou Billy). Features a TON of unlockable characters, including Vernon, Irma, the frogs, Usagi Yojimbo, etc.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

The C&C against AM2R only required them to take the download link off the front page and stop advertising it. It went back up as a link in a post on the AM2R forums almost immediately. If it isn't there now, it's more likely because the developer has been hired by Moon Studios. Might not reflect well to have one of their designers distributing unauthorized Nintendo IP. ;) 

Really excellent fan game though.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some of my suggestions are a little old, but free is free...

• Mega Man X Street Fighter (fan-made, but officially endorsed by Capcom)
    • Maldita Castilla (and any other regular edition game by Locomalito)
    • Cave Story
    • Ikachan
    • Super Mario XP (Mario/Castlevania mashup by CnC Darkside)
    • Eternal Daughter
    Some of the older CnC/GameMaker games may not work in full-screen without help.