Fandom Card Issues 2/2012

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lumpy, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    ultimately, they may do nothing. but i got hit, i submitted what i needed to, if something comes of that, i'll be part of it... and then i'll be listening to people bitch about how the club treated them unfairly when they (the poster) didn't report anything to the club...

i think he was saying something more along the lines of "don't get hit with fraud, just to try and help the club find the leak" which is a very valid point...

anyways, this has been fun, but i'm off to Disneyland in the morning... i'll see how much this thread has evolved next week...

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    If I was your bank I would take paranoid customer rather than them being hit with fraudulent charges. If I recall, it's the banks that eat up the cost for those charges.

3. Petes Robot Convention

Petes Robot Convention Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you are the one who emailed me, but if not, email me and we'll figure it out...

4. haha

haha Well-Known Member

Actually, No. F.D.I.C. stands for Federal Deposit Insurance Coorporation. They insure bank losses. The are backed by the Federal Reserve.

Interesting side note, neither the FDIC or the "Fed" are actually government owned. They are private sector entities. Scary.

5. RustyMuffler

RustyMuffler Tronbot

Oh, sweet baby Jesus... that reply post is going to be beyond epic! Can't wait!!

6. cheapdate

cheapdate Banned

Yup, you read it entirely wrong.

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    That's what I'm saying though, I don't think I was ever hit. I check my statements pretty regularly. The impression I got was simply that they were aware of the issue (presumably from other cardholders) and they were doing exactly as you describe- preemptively giving me a new one just in case.

It's very possible that I simply misread the situation and they caught the charges before I ever saw them, I really didn't ask too many questions.

But I honestly I don't see why anyone's bank should be skeptical of that- they are in the business of getting you to pay them to spend your own money- a piece of plastic with a number stamped on it costs them comparatively nothing. If you said you'd lost the card and didn't know where it was, they'd happily cancel it and issue you a new one. This is no different. A bank that hassles you about that sounds like it's run by a bunch of jerks- and dumb ones at that- why the hell would they risk losing your business over >1cent worth of plastic and 15 seconds of typing? I seriously can't imagine that if your bank just reissued cards no questions asked they'd be overwhelmed with requests. I'm pretty sure the time it takes them to issue a new card is quite a bit less than however long it took to have multiple conversations with you about it.

Then again I often find myself surprised at how dumb and bad at business people are, and banks in particular. Perhaps I should readjust my expectations in that area.

8. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been to the page where the club outlines each bit of info it needs from those of us that received fraudulent charges, yet I see nothing on the page that explains how/where to submit the info.

9. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Red and black red and black

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yes, but the Federal Reserve and FDIC are government chartered and owned. This is a pretty important distinction in that like a corporation they have their own legal personality that is autonomous from the government and they have their own lines of revenue, they are still owned by the government and are beholden to the government rather than stockholders.

10. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    I'd love to see their churn numbers ... specially for 2012. :D 

Pete, that page wasn't working properly. More specifically, the page appeared to be working perfectly, but then you'd get a returned e-mail in your inbox stating that admin2 at funpubinc.com was an undeliverable address. The problem seemed to be something related to SPF which my ISP uses; I think it was detecting the message created by that page as a forgery since it didn't come from my ISP.

-airfox

11. haha

haha Well-Known Member

The Fed is privately owned.

Its shareholders are private banks. 100% of its shareholders are private banks. None of its stock is owned by the government.

It is considered an independent central bank because its monetary policy decisions do not have to be approved by the President or anyone else in the executive or legislative branches of government, it does not receive funding appropriated by the Congress, and the terms of the members of the Board of Governors span multiple presidential and congressional terms.

This is why I referred to it as "scary".

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    my bank called me yesterday to say they were canceling my current atm card and sending me a visa debit card instead. Damn you Funpub!!!

13. SwineTrekkie

SwineTrekkie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Have the hackers moved on to Digital River (Matty Collector) now? New Security Issues with Digital River?

The guy who posted the thread is pretty well known on those boards so I would believe what he's saying.

14. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If anyone uses the same password form TFCC elsewhere I strongly urge you change it asap. I just found out last night my Xbox live account was hacked. I have to assume it was the same guys since it was the same password.

15. perrych17

perrych17 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Also interesting that a company called him to let him know he was hacked. They didn't wait three weeks and post on facebook and then later an e-mail. Hmmm.

16. SwineTrekkie

SwineTrekkie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The company (Digital River) didn't call him. He said that his credit card company called him. Matty or Digital River have yet to say anything about this.

17. perrych17

perrych17 Well-Known Member

Actually, he said the Credit Card company called them BECAUSE a third company contacted them on behalf of DR to notify them of the hack. Read below:

18. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wonder if it was a case of him using the same password that he had with funpub or itunes.

It still surprises me that people who could lose a lot have not cancelled their card. Especially people with Debit cards that were compromised.

19. UNICRON-WMD

UNICRON-WMD SOUL MACHINE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I spent enough time on this shit. I am not filling out all my info a FP's website. I already spent enough time calling my CC company to cancel my CC and then going to my bank to cancel my bank card and spent 45 mins filling out paperwork to get my money back. The handwriting analysis paperwork took forever.

I am pretty much over all this. Shit happens. But I will be pissed if people get some freebies for complaining when alot of us are just more occoupied with other things in our lives.

In my opinion, I think EVERYONE who had a memebrship at the time of the CC debacle, should get a free membership for the next year. We the TFs fandom are the reason FunPub, Botcon, Hasbro and Takara all have jobs. We want you, you need us.

Just my 2 cents.

20. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I agree with you there. We have all had to deal with this issue. Someone of us more then other. I mean I was never hit and only had to take an hour to go to my bank and get a temp card while I waited for me new debit card and of course change some passwords.

But now that it's become such a big thing and ALL our info was stolen and we have no answers on ket questions I think the members do deserve something, but I'm more concerned about getting answers and a major overhaul in how fubpub handles security and the website. That would be the best "we're sorry" thing they could do for me.

Though, they won't give all of us free memberships. They had around 4000 members at the time, if they did this they would have little to cover shipping, magazine art/printing and of course the figures. So really their best bet in this is to do What I said above, prove to us they are taking it seriously. If they do give something free it would be a small figure or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.