Fandom Card Issues 2/2012

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Lumpy, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've never ordered from the club and have no intention of doing so (certainly not now after these events) but I have been closly following these threads and have great sympathies for anyone that's been hit.

The numbers of those affected just on this messageboard alone is mind-boggling, with more coming forwards every day. Do we actually have numbers of just how many from TFW have been hit? It might be useful to be able to quote to investigators just how many people here have actually been victims of this event. Maybe a poll for people to click and gather stats.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    USPS mail prices have gone up over the past few years, but the club never adjusted, this 2 buck increase will cover that cost... i'm fine with a 2 buck increase after it being the same price for almost 7 years...

3. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'm well aware my opinions are Pariah here, but a thought occurred to me the other day..... very few people if any are spending their times complaining about THE THIEF the actual person(s) responsible for stealing your card information.

It's like a bomber blew a hole in a dam and all the people in the Valley are screaming at the owners of the dam for letter the bomber slip through their security, and for not already fixing the leak in the dam....but no one really cares about catching the bomber.

4. Omega Supreme

Omega Supreme Well-Known Member

I'd be fine with increases next year (after hopefully they fix some things).

This year, they should have dropped it a bit to at least cover our postage.
    At least you guys in the U.S. just have to buy a stamp.

I'm looking at 8 bucks just to send a payment in to the club.
    (Money order prices seem to have gone up over the last couple years too.)

5. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

Yes.

I do appreciate this thread very much, as others have pointed out, due to it highlighting this issue. I would not have noticed the fraudulent charges unless I browsed this website.

Thank you TFWers!

6. Omega Supreme

Because there's very little we can do about catching the theif? Sure, theives suck, but... they're theives.
    It's up to the merchant to make sure their systems are up to snuff and protect client information.

And personally, for me it's not so much that the CC fraud happened and our information was compromised.
    I'm more upset about the way the club has handled things in the aftermath, everything from initially not accepting there could possibly be a problem stemming from their system, not wanting to do anything about the Drift guns, and forcing the members to incur extra cost just to get money to them to subscribe...
    Oh, and the continued lack of communication: Some info gets posted on twitter, some on facebook, etc., and they still haven't sent out an e-mail letting people know that .PDF is up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Third Class mail is for bulk advertisements.

8. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    That made me chuckle, I must admit...

9. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    has anyone had a charge from SPREEBIRD show up? i don't recall ever using my CC with FP, only my debit, but this has me wondering if I did use it at some point...

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Seriously? Look, does the club have some REAL issues that need to be fixed? ABSOLUTELY! I'm sure Pete sees another few pages of posts, feels that much more gutted by all this bad PR, puts on an asbestos helmet (careful, those may cause cancer) and wades in as best he can...but the extra $2 for postage is REALLY trivial compared to the bigger issues at play here. Postage has gone up (trust me, I ship stuff out every week!) and without intending to get political the USPS is still struggling so there is ANOTHER increase coming, and 3rd class mail is the same rate nearly ALL magazines are sent at...doesn't matter if its FunPub, Sports Illustrated or Mad...Busting Brian's balls for what's wrong with the club is fair game AFAIAC because there are plenty of issues we've seen over the years that people have a totally legitimate beef about, but choose your battles man...all I can hear when I see the postage increase argument is the THIS kid

I want my two dollars! - YouTube

11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This quote pretty much sums up how I feel about it. It's the responsibility of the merchant to make sure our information is secure and safe, AND when something happens that the merchant is willing to make amends. So far TFCC first wanted to blame us, the customer for this, and only after that were they willing to relent and take the blame themselves. As far as making amends go they haven't done much of that either. A token of good will and a willingness to take a hit as long as we customers still maintain good relations wit the company is something that would be appreciated. It can really be anything, from discounts on later stuff, or even a freebie here and there, or even just a mass mailed snail mail letter.

Something that really acknowledges that they fucked up and they want to keep us as customers. You don't have to be like Sony and give away free games...that's just unreasonable for a company as small as TFCC, but something would be very appreciative. As far as I'm concerned, at the end of 2013 I'm not a customer anymore, ever, if they continue along the route they're taking now.

12. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or just tell them you lost it. How hard is that?

At this point, it almost seems like people are leaving their cards active just waiting to be hit. That way they can come into these threads and take pot shots at Pete and FunPub.

13. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gotcha!

It's funny, because you cal it trivial, but see it fit to write that elongated rant on the issue, and even look up a dumbassed video to post.

It's not about the $$$: Two dollars isn't even shit. It's 1/18th of what I make in an hour of work. It's the principle of it.

And it's funny how Lumpy can simply answer, but you posted all of that nonsense which honestly did nothing for the conversation.

And don't bring "what Pete has to deal with", because if I had intended the question for Pete, then I would have written "Pete, " at the top of my post, or hell, even sent a PM or email. It was a general question that got answered quick.

As for the "bigger issues at hand" - If your credit card information is stolen: Call the card company, get a new card, and weigh whether or not that's a company you'd like to provide that information to again: It's all you really CAN do, and you run the risk of it happening everytime you give your credit card information to a business, whether it's online or walk-in. Hell, last year Michael's was going through the same thing.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  14. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm apathetic on the issue but any chance to pimp 'Better off Dead' is good by me.

15. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    The problem with this analogy would be that in this case, the dam builders have a huge hole that leads directly into the heart of the dam, and instead of fixing it, they taped a card board sign over it that says "Please don't put bombs here". We'd all like the thief to get caught, but in this modern Click and Order age, security must be your top priority. And that falls on TCC.

I work in IT for a Federal group with only 350 users and a relatively small online presence. Our firewall is still hit 3-4million times a day by hackers, spam, spyware, etc. We'd be inundated with that crap if we didn't have good security procedures in place.
    I have to agree. After a few weeks of "Are you sure you guys just don't suck at e-commerce?" and dodging the problem, to have this hit just about everyone requires some compensation. Something as simple as an email code for free shipping no matter what size the order would satisfy me.

16. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The movie's a fav., can't lie, but when I say, "this may sound trivial but..." and ask a question for conversation, and then get treated like I'm trying to make a petty "complaint" is when I go, "alright, wtf"

17. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Didn't mean to get under your skin so much man, normally I have no beef with you at all. You were far from the only one piling on with the extra $2 for 3rd class postage bit and yeah...it was a good excuse to throw a Better Off Dead ref. Sorry you found it "dumbassed"....I happen to LIKE the movie. My post wasn't in any way aimed at you TJ. No need to go on the attack with me.

My issue with them is almost entirely how they handle criticism...I certainly don't think *I* should be blamed for them getting hacked, I think not extending their deadline for registration, especially when you have a PR storm like this happening is a bad move. Especially when the reason the store is down hit so many of their customers, including me. To *ME* those are much bigger issues than even getting hacked. I tell my son whenever he's in trouble...it's not what you did wrong, but how you react afterwards and man up about it that shows your character.

18. 03Mach1

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with ya, TJ. I was just excited to see someone else other than my old ass had a clue about this movie.
    :) 

19. Omega Supreme

So, if you call and say "Hi, my credit card might be compromised. Can I cancel and get a new one?" expecting they'll be able to do that.
    And they say "There's nothing we can do until we actually see fraudulent charges, but I'll make a note." or something.
    What, you're then supposed to go "Oh, wait, no sorry, I lost my card?"

Can you see why that might be difficult?
    I get that you could potentially just call and say you lost your card first, but you shouldn't have to. You should expect they can send you a new one for reporting potential fraud.
    So, if you're in the situation where you've called and they won't do that, you're kinda stuck. And that's what some people say they've found.

And "pot shots"? Really. Do you not think any valid concerns are being raised with Fun Pub or the way they've handled things?

20. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Possible. Of course, I do have to imagine that, in the midst of so many fraud instances, at least one or two are actually unrelated to FP. Fraud is still happening elsewhere in the world, too.

Not saying that's the case here. I don't know. SPREEBIRD is a new one on me, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.