2D Artwork: Fan Made Transformers Card Game

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by dougger16, Jul 23, 2014.

1. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

So I have been working on a fan made Transformers Card Game. I'm not the best at photoshop but I did the best I could on these. I specifically made a profile here so I could showcase them to true hardcore Transformers fans and get their thoughts, ideas, and comments on these cards. I created the cards using the stats of the original G1 toys. I wanted to create a way to use those stats in an actual card game. So far, I'm still in the early stages of development and don't expect to see the full set and rules complete for another few months. But please check out my deviant art page for cards and better quality as well. druefus on deviantART

Attached Files:

• Test.jpg
      Test.jpg
      File size:
      439.6 KB
      Views:
  2. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

3. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    wow, that would suck if the entire opposing team had only autobots....

like the card, though!

4. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Yea, that ability is a little over powered. I'll probably fix it some time but right now I have just been focusing on the redesign and making all the cards. I will probably go back and make some tweaks to some of them here and there.

5. Majestic Senzu

Majestic Senzu Professional Chain Yanker TFW2005 Supporter

Are there any basic rules on playing the game? The card shown looks fantastic, btw.

6. calvin0

calvin0 Well-Known Member

instead of "no opposing autobot can attack optimus prime", make it a team buff.. after all optimus is a leader, so he could inspire other autobot to fight harder.

7. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Thank You Majestic Senzu! I know I have more of an idea of how the game will be played then actually written out rules. I know technically am doing everything backwards (designing cards should come last). When I get the first set up, I am going to design a "ROUGH DRAFT" rule booklet so please stay tuned and hey definitely check out the other cards at my deviant art page!

Calvin0, I like your idea. When I get to it, I will play around with that idea!

8. Majestic Senzu

Take your time, man. :)  These kind of things are tough. The other cards look great as well...are you eventually going into Season 2 and Movie characters? Love that you added Sunstorm into the mix!

9. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Yea, sunstorm was tough, because his graphic isnt the best quality, but I guess it works.

So this is my tentative plan:
    Set 1 - Season 1
    Set 2 - Season 2
    Set 3 - Season 3 & Movie
    After that some time I want to do the Japanese transformer shows and what I am most excited for is to add beast wars after that.

But with all that being said, I don't know how long I actually have the motivation and drive to keep it up but it would be sweet to going and going. I know this is a long way off, but it would be cool to get just like a small internet community that would play the game and be able to contribute ideas to keep constantly improving the game and such!

10. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Calvin0, I messed around just a tad with optimus primes ability. And while I messed with that, I also changed Megatron's ability as well. You can see them both below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Devaron9

Devaron9 Token Falchion Wielding Welshy

Loving the work.

Part of me thinks that Rally would be a good alternative name for Prime's ability.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, your work looks great!

Also, instead of trying to drive folks to your dA page, try just posting your work here instead. Thanks!

13. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Well the reason why I have everything link there instead of posting every time I post a new card to this forum is for several reasons:
    1.My DA account keeps track on how many people see it. (so thats cool and let's be honest it gives my DA account exposure.)
    2.This is not my only forum I talk about the fan made card game. If I post them up here every time then I should probably post them everywhere else as well. (Point is: its easier just to have people go back to my DA account: druefus.deviantart.com/gallery/59153701/Transformers-TCG )

With all that being said, thank you to everyone for all the kind words. I probably will still post a few more cards up here and there on this forum when I feel it is necessary.

14. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Rally is not a bad idea for the name for the ability, but I usually only give names to effects when it is not a continuous ability but one with an energon cost. I almost view them as two whole different kinds of abilities. One is more of just something that happens because that is who the transformer is where the other one is usually some sort of an attack. You can look below at the two cards as a n example of what I mean.

I will keep that name in mind though if I feel that it fits a similar ability.

[​IMG]
    This ability does not have a cost...

[​IMG]
    But this one does!

THANKS FOR THE THOUGHT THOUGH!!!

15. RCtelevision

RCtelevision cosmos

News Credits:
    Looks great! Mabye you can do some special edition like goden legoon characters and make them "rarer" and more powerful?

16. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

It's funny that you mention that because last night (as I was walking my dog) I thought to myself, maybe in the future I could do like Gold cards. And now you mention that. lol Yea, I think if I was to do it, I would probably do it next set.

17. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Hey Guys!
    First off, I want to thank all of you again for your interest in this project as well as all of the different comments and suggestions, it truly means alot!!! I am heading out of the country for about 2 weeks and wont be back until July so I ended up posting up about 2 weeks worth of cards (I try to post 1 to 2 cards a day).

I ended up posting mainly 3 new types of cards:

1. Command Cards
    [​IMG]
    These cards can only be used when you have a leader on the field. Each card has some sort of effect to help you out. In my mind they are similar to Trainer cards from pokemon or even magic/spell cards from yugioh.

2. Equipment Cards
    [​IMG]
    These cards are probably the most self explanatory of all the new ones, they are equip cards. They go onto your Transformer to give your Transformer a boost. Most of these cards (unless it says resource) have specific requirements dealing with either or both; Fire Power and the Intelligence stat.

3. Mission Cards
    [​IMG]
    I would say out of all of the cards in this game, these are the most unique. Essentially a mission card (just like an equipment card, has specific requirements (Courage and or Intelligence). Now the thing about these cards is that they kinda give you a challenge or quest that your specific transformer has to complete. It may be simple, it may be challenging but no matter what, you get some sort of reward for completing it. A lot of these cards give you RP. You need 20 RP to win the game. You get such from these cards and from defeating your opponents Transformers.

Again you can check out all of the cards posted here: Transformers TCG by druefus on DeviantArt

18. Majestic Senzu

Yeah, that sounds really cool. :)  Maybe a Nemesis Prime Gold card? Perhaps a Shattered Glass character or two? A Dark Energon zombie Cliffjumper could work.

Nice! :thumb  I assume every deck should have a leader card?

A few minor suggestions on specific cards:
    - Possibilities could probably add a "shuffle the deck afterward" so then the entire deck isn't known. It adds to the mystery.
    - Bombshell's ability could specify what to do with the other two cards.
    - Battle for Cybertron is slightly confusing. Is it specifically your side of the field or the entire field?

Other than that, great stuff! :) 

19. dougger16

dougger16 Active Member

Great suggestions on the different characters. I know I really want to do a promo set in the far off future of shatter glass!

The way I have Leader cards right now is that there will be a leader slot, and basically any transformer can take that slot but some transformers that have the key word leadership like Optimus Prime, can only be played there. I am still not exactly sure what else it will do (it should do more but idk yet...)

Also, THANK YOU so much for the ideas on bombshell and battle for cybertron! I already made some changes so please let me know if you think that works! Also I was a little confused on what card you were talking about when you said," Possibilities could probably add a "shuffle the deck afterward" so then the entire deck isn't known. It adds to the mystery."

Thanks for all the help and ideas, keep them coming!

20. Majestic Senzu

Interesting...Starscream can finally lead the Decepticons. It's a dream come true for him! :lol 

Sorry, I didn't clarify. I was referring to the card "Possibilities". It states you can take out any card from the deck, but then it doesn't tell you to shuffle or anything like that. It leaves the structure of the deck to be based more on memorization rather than the luck of the draw. Not a big problem, just a minor thing.