Fan First Tuesday (4/12/22)

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by T-Hybrid, Apr 5, 2022.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People forget that for the longest time, G1 too, got the barest scraps of acknowledgment, and what we did get was cobbled-together scraps and piecemeal homages. Nostalgia cycles, for the sake of concerted marketing, are pretty long. It's only very recently that everybody's been in on the whole 80s craze, for instance. 25-30 years is not uncommon, when you're waiting for childhood memories to translate to adults with lots of disposable income.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Senator Magnificus

Senator Magnificus Banned

YouTube (Legacy):
    I do wish their back stories had been given.
    Apparently we were supposed to get an ep
    in S4 which'd show how Blackarachnia joined
    the Deceps & her experimenting on Blitzwing.
    Also might've added more depth to Lugnut if
    we learned WHY he devoted his life to Megs.
    d1lyeyp-9034b101-46fd-4c0e-a6bc-7a2fdb62f5e4.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    yeah hard agree here, except for the occasional odd duck most of CHUG was "barely G1" by modern standards until CW started dripfeeding in more evergreen elements. angel-wings nerf megatron, futuristic stylized prime, shoeless sunstreaker, teeny tank galvatron, the only ultra magnus was a third party kit, powerglide got a paintjob and hit the gym, it was a weird time. imagine if kingdom as a line just randomly had a commander primal, a deluxe tigatron, dinobot had feathers but shared a mold with airazor and lost most of his design elements as a result, things like that... it'd be a shitshow, but it'd be something, and the third party scene really helped fuel a lot of that earlier CHUG stuff as it slowly filled out. i wonder if the same would've happened had they done an entire BW CHUG line like that

• Like Like x 7
  4. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    They'll look different, certainly. I'm not convinced Legacy Menasor is an improvement, myself....

(Not a fan of cartoon-accuracy-at-all-costs. Not at all)

• Like Like x 1
  5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was mainly thinking even before Classics 2005, in the ten-ish year period between that and the ending of G2, where the only vehicular Transformers released were Machine Wars (and of course later Car Robots/RiD2001, but that had its own aesthetic, mostly), and then the small sprinkling of more overt G1 references like Energon Downshift we got during the Unicron Trilogy days.

Classics 2005 was the beginning of the return to full-on G1 pandering, but yeah, it took a bit longer for the more 'toon accurate directive to sink in, as well.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Senator Magnificus

YouTube (Legacy):
    Lol. Shows what you know. Clearly wearing black loafers.
    r_sunstreaker083.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i can't even fathom trying to be a G1 fan pre-2005 lol, back then it was basically SCF's and like you said, UT homages. at least starscream always got off easy back then.

credit where credit is due, they're bigger than i remember

8. Senator Magnificus

YouTube (Legacy):
    It's my preferred look for Streaker.
    Have every line committed to memory.
    Newer fig is far too smooth by comparison.

9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say that. Besides Beast Wars (and to a lesser extent Rescue Bots), most of the franchise tends to recycle names and basic alt mode concepts more often than not. Even if the overall design choices differ dramatically. This is where "GEEWUNN!" even came from, as fans at that time were angry the figures didn't look anything like they did in the 80s. People mad that three figures based on characters from Prime look more like they're supposed to be in the "G1" universe just brings it full circle after fans of the 80s characters got mad about the names of G1 characters used on figures that looked nothing like their G1 counterparts.

The only real big change that's come (and only then in the past two years) is the sudden heavy swing towards "animation accuracy" in both scale and design. But up until that (as recently as PotP) you had people from all corners of the universe complaining about a lack of accuracy and scale (the PotP Dinobots and Primal come to mind).

Transformers as a whole has operated heavily relying on G1 name value (both because of name value and because of the importance of holding trademarks) even when the figures have looked nothing like they did in the 80s.

Regardless of what you think of the overall look, as a toy he looks like an improvement in terms of stability. And while the appeal of the "accurate" Menasor design is definitely going to differ from person to person...I think we all agree he's the best candidate to put forward when attempting to define a new way of doing combiners that lets them work better within the team even if it sacrifices the flexibility of CW.

10. AtomicGarden

AtomicGarden Energon homebrewer

All True. Yet some people insists that Hasbro has been making only G1 over and over for decades

• Like Like x 1
  11. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    Look, we’re voicing that this isn’t what we wanted, both on here and with our wallets. Never understood why people want to silence the opinions of others who disagree with them, but this is 2022 after all. If you don’t want to see disagreement, don’t go on a discussion board. It’s that simple. Go to the appreciation thread if you want nothing but praise

People have a right to voice their opinions whether you think it’s “complaining for the sake of complaining” or not. As I’ve said ad nauseum, enjoy the figures if you like them. Many don’t. If that ruffles your feathers, get thicker skin, but saying they equivalent of “ahhhh shuddup” is just sad

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Yea, no, it's not a bad faith argument. Bumblebee remains a petulant brat throughout Animated despite many episodes being focused on supposed character development for him and in several episodes Sentinel appears to learn his lesson and begrudgingly accept Optimus as his equal only to revert back to a narcissistic egomaniac on his next appearance.

13. Senator Magnificus

YouTube (Legacy):
    Right, because on a fundamental level Sentinel can't change. At most, all that can happen is him having the odd friendly moment with Optimus. That's it. Look up real life narcissists. His behaviour is very on point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Regarding stability, we'll see once the toy actually comes out. That said, I do agree that, of the classic G1 combiner teams, the Stunticons are indeed the right ones to use to try something new.

For me, and being far blunter than I'd likely be in person, this is NOT how combining should be done (see * at bottom). I, for one, don't care to see this done again.

(That said, my mind could change once the toys actually come out, especially as I see just how backwards-compatible with the CW limbs this new Motormaster really is)

*My main criticism comes from the fact that most of the connective tissue for Menasor isn't even part of Motormaster, and indeed Motormaster seems like he could be left out entirely without significant damage to the "combined" form. That said, I'd be remiss if i didn't acknowledge that this isn't even the first time a combiner team has been guilty of this problem. The G1 Micromaster six-teams were, themselves, only combiners in the loosest sense of the word, as no member actually connected directly with any other member, the larger robot being formed entirely through the team's connective accessories.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I’ve acknowledged that for some fans, this isn’t what they were hoping for. You’re directing animosity towards me because I don’t think the figures are of inferior quality compared to other Legacy releases. I’m allowed to voice that as much as you’re allowed to voice your opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    It might be on point to real life, but we are talking fiction. Fiction where there is a moment of character development that is immediately regressed the moment that character reappears, thus maintaining the status quo rather than having actual character development for one of it's most annoying characters.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Banned

News Credits:
    For the umpteenth time, it’s not “inferior quality.” It’s that Hasbro is selective when it comes to which continuity gets accuracy, while the others get GeeWunned

Like, come on man. “Animosity?” You’re the one being hostile (and mischaracterizing) not me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Senator Magnificus

YouTube (Legacy):
    Why is he annoying to you?
    I thought he was hilarious.
    Especially when him & Optimus were bickering.
    David Kaye & Townsend Coleman had great chemistry.

19. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Wildrider: Alt mode looks sexy as all hell. Bot mode looks awkward for Wildrider, but serviceable. Wish he has his shoulder wheels, assuming his backpack wheels can't fold up like Elita-1's can. Like all combiner team members, he'll be displayed in bot mode on my shelf.

Tarantulas: The perfect representation of the first season version of the character, in my opinion. I don't have the funds to get the Beast Wars characters, but if I did, he'd be on my list as well.

Knock Out: A little wonky for bot mode. Decent alt mode. I like this figure, but definitely my least favorite of the line. I'd say he's -the- G1 Knock Out, but there is enough Micromaster erasure by Hasbro(and the fans, for that matter *shifty eyes around this thread*)

Elita-1: Epic alt mode; I'm satisfied by it if this is the best representation of the G1 alt mode we get. The bot mode is SUPER impressive, and shows us what Hasbro can do with bots shaped like that. *glares at Hasbro's Arcee offerings* Best figure in this seasonal release in my opinion, with the other being:

Jhiaxus: This figure. It's epic. Short of unstable limbs or bad QC, this may be the best figure I'd seen from Legacy so far alongside Elita-1. No attachment to the character before now, but that may change with this release. G2 comics, here I come!

Soundwave: Eh, I don't want clean figures enough to justify purchase of this. To be honest, it looks odd without the silver splotches. I have both Siege and Netflix Soundwaves, but I wish this was the Netflix Soundwave so more fans could have that one.

Blitzwing: I'm hyped for this guy, I don't care what anyone else says. Bot mode is 10/10 of course, and the plane mode isn't that bad. Tank mode is lovely, and I do not find that TANK BONER off-putting at all.

Shattered Glass Ultra Magnus: Okay, I do not like this figure using the Kingdom Ultra Magnus mold at all, especially since I don't expect that version to be the be-all-end-all Ultra Magnus mold going forward. Siege UM would've been much more acceptable, or even the Legacy Laser Prime mold to homage the original SG Magnus figure. Aside from that, I'd still want to get 3 of this guy if I could; one for each character he represents.

Motormaster: I gave my thoughts on this guy here, and it's longer than what I'd post in this post, so go see that if you care.

Thank you for your time reading through this, your dedication to reading the opinions of toher TFW members is admirable. :thumb 

• Like Like x 4
  20. Senator Magnificus

YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh my god, I understand now. You've helped me realize.
    Megatron was secretly The Crow along! He's Brandon Lee's ghost! 20220413_172809-COLLAGE.jpg