Fan first friday may 21st

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Fc203, May 17, 2021.

1. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:

It doesn’t matter. It has an alternative offensive meaning. They changed it back 13 years ago, they were editing it out of dubs over 20 years ago. No ones forcing you to use the name they changed it to. Get over it and move on, pick a different hill to die on.

god damn if only hasbro had just said “oh we just don’t have the copyright for the name” like so many characters you folks would just shut up about it already instead this bullshit.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Yoinkus

News Credits:
    Imagine a character named "Bitch" after a female dog, before it was used in a negative way. Should they keep the name now just because it's not the derogatory definition of the word?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Again, Slag’s name has nothing to do with the offensive term. There is an offensive way to use the word slag, Dinobot Slag’s name is not offensive; we still have the term molten slag in the UK.

This is an actual place in the UK. And has nothing to do with derogatory term either.

CF0DC149-D2B9-4421-A71D-3B97C9A6C5FB.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  4. CannonBlaster

CannonBlaster Well-Known Member

I don't think Hasbro really cares. It's not like people are going to boycott the toy because the name is wrong. I do wish the comics didn't change his name to Slug though, especially when they're supposedly aimed at adults

5. Mattymo

News Credits:
    still an advertisement for a toy that is going to be in aisle for primarily for children. Comics, cartoons, games, stickers whatever. It’s all a commercial for toys at the end of the day.

6. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mattymo

News Credits:
    And as SPLIT-LIP has pointed out a few days ago it was changed in other countries where it’s deemed offensive. Same with animated and by Prime they adopted using the word “scrap”

8. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

Here's the truth, slag has been an argot word for generations for a worthless person, and then twisted to be a worthless woman, we in America knew it but it wasn't big on our radar because it was just the slang of another country. It's the same reason we sell "fanny packs" and the British giggle, it's the same reason we put on "pants" and the British titter, and it's the same reason the Japanese have "breastforce" and we chuckle. Slag's name only became an issue due to the rise of their morality police, the "won't somebody please think of the children?!" types that voiced this, making it a concern for Hasbro. The British have no moral high ground here, up until very recently they named most black dogs the N-word without a care, they had a war hero dog named it, had a tombstone for that dog on an airbase until recently with the name, and the dog that played him in the movie adaptation of those events ("The Dam Busters") was coincidentally also named it. The only difference here is this is a toy being sold to children as well as adults, and a few loud parents made enough of a fuss to sway Hasbro. Corporations make changes to appeal to a small but vocal minority all the time when it comes to marketing to child customers, here in America a parent actually sued Disney over the preacher's supposed erection in The Little Mermaid which was actually his little knees, so Disney removed the knees from the art. It happens, we don't have to like it, but it's only a name on a package, once you buy the toy just name it whatever you prefer.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Typically whenever I call someone "Slug" I'm trying to insult them.

Just putting that out there.

• Like Like x 2
  10. JT-bob

JT-bob Autobum

As for the Wreck-Gar character art, the pencils on it are very interesting, it's clearly the same character art as the package, yet the judicious editing out of the feet really change the tone of that artwork a lot -- in my eyes, probably for the better.

11. Mattymo

News Credits:
    not exactly true. No parents complained about it because Slag didn’t have a presence nor a toy on shelf til when they changed it. He appeared a couple issues of comics but that’s all. He didn’t have a toy that represented him for over 16 years and by the time he did they were using Snarl(animated and a robot heroes little guy) till they adopted Slug. It was more they figured it out as they went on primarily when beast wars was using it in the show. More then likely a fan saying something then an upset parent.

12. TFfangeek

TFfangeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slag definition (noun): waste material left over from the process of smelting iron ore into steel. Competely worthless and in the past was dumped into slag heaps, due to having no use.

This is what the Triceratops Dinobot gets his name from.

• Like Like x 5
  13. TFfangeek

TFfangeek Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I asked this to some of my friends the other day, due to Blaster getting a new voyager class figure in the Kingdom line, and the Dinobots so far revealed come with smaller figures, Grimlock-Wheelie and Slag-Daniel, I wonder if the other Dinobots will be packaged with Blaster's Autobot cassettes? Swoop-Rewind and Eject, Snarl-Ramhorn, and Sludge Steeljaw? I can not think of any other small sized allies from the Generation 1 movie that the other Dinobots can come packaged with.

Who else is likes the idea of the other Dinobots being packaged with Blaster's Autobot cassette partners?

• Like Like x 1
  14. ArkinDotWav

ArkinDotWav Legends Manga Apologist

We're really still on the Slag vs Slug thing? People, even if the word predominantly isn't offensive outside the UK (or even in the UK to an extent) it still has a derogatory or offensive meaning.

Rember that Hasbro changed Killbison's name to Ironbison because it had the word Kill in it, same with Overkill being renamed Overboard in TR. I think Hellbat having his name changed is self explanitory. Cutthroat is an exception because a cutthroat is someone who is characterized as being ruthless, and most people don't really think about the uncomponded words when they hear it.

The only outlier to this is Sinnertwin, but I guess that name is somehow seperate enough from 'sin' to be acceptable for Hasbro. That or they just don't consider sin nearly as potentially troublesome as kill, death, blood, hell, or even slag.

Edit: He'll always be Slag to me. As will Killbison be Killbison and Overkill be Overkill. I agree that Slag being metal waste makes it more fitting for a fire breathing robot triceratops, but I won't ignore that Hasbro is an international country that has to watch what they do since they market stuff to kids.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Mattymo

News Credits:
    Probably not gonna happen with the cassettes since the figures coming with leaders are non transforming. Not just dinobots but DOTM Megatron and shockwave both came with little figures too. If they started coming with transforming figures they would go into the budget of the leader which could mean less paint apps, articulation and more visible hallow bits returning.

I think we’d all pass on that. If blaster comes with eject and his plastic isnt tied into blaster then just do what they did with others. Makes a selects 4 pack again. Do rewind from eject, steeljaw from ravage maybe Rosana and finally make Buzzsaw to complete the 84 con cassettes

• Like Like x 3
  16. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    No
    I want the cassettes but have no desire to buy the $50 dinos to get them.
    Plus there's no story reason for the cassettes to be with the dinos to begin with.
    Daniel coming with slug is stretching it as it is
    It sounds like core is being added to the SS line.
    Cassette 2pks would fit into the core price point.
    They can pass as both SS & kingdom/legacy.
    Best solution all around

• Like Like x 5
  17. scuffed up rts bumblebee

scuffed up rts bumblebee dont reach for the stars youll burn up and die

That would make everyone who wants just the cassettes go broke, actually a pretty good buisness decision but anyone who wants just the cassettes and blaster would find it a real pain, they could just pack more weapons too

18. Mattymo

News Credits:
    they could do Blaster in his alt mode. We did get soundwaves in a weapons back and blaster turning into his alt mode in the movie would work and with the remaining Dinobot do the Quintesson executioner. He doesn’t stand next to anyone in the movie so he can be similar in size to the prosecutor we got especially since he’s present when they bust into the “courtroom”

19. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    This is the definitions of slag for the record.
    See Google Screenshot_20210523-141748_Google.jpg
    Definition #2 is ultimately why Hasbro renamed slag.
    These days, this is all it takes.
    It's a done deal.
    It's over.
    It's final.
    If Hasbro still made individual packages for individual countries we wouldn't be arguing.
    But they don't anymore.
    This package goes to everybody now.
    Hasbro is a business.
    One size fits all saves some money.
    That's the bottom line.
    Period.

This back and forth here and on other threads has to come to an end.
    NOW.
    It's getting out of hand.
    If you want to call him Slag, then do so.
    If Hasbro has to call him Slug, let them.
    They probably have to.
    A requirement to sell slag in England.
    But this continued strife over this silly name issue has to end
    NOW
    FINAL.
    DONE.
    This thread needs to return to its stated purpose.
    Fan first Friday.
    Like/Dislike of photos.
    Where are rest of reveals?
    Why is Daniel with slag/slug when he never was in film?
    If the 'name' argument is that important to you, start a thread elsewhere.
    Leave this thread out of it.
    It's just a name.
    We'll live.

• Like Like x 9
  20. ArkinDotWav

ArkinDotWav Legends Manga Apologist

Looking at Gnaw more, the only real issue I have with him is his beast mode hands facing palms inward and not down like the TR one.

I dunno, just looks less natrual and sorta disallows slashing poses.

• Like Like x 1