Fan-Built Combiner Name/Gender revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by General Tekno, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

high five

I've always thought that the combiners were siblings it really, really doesn't make sense if their combination is something sexual lmao

2. combaticonsfrvr

combaticonsfrvr Lusus Naturae

you could only vote once per phone. Any attempts to vote again simply changed your vote due to the design of the application which we were required to vote through. In order to do the multi-vote thing you speak of, the person would require a shitload of phones. They'd have to borrow friends'/family members' phones, download the app, and vote, or buy a ton of phones... don't get me wrong, someone probably did, but that person is either so rich they wipe their butts with $100 bills or they're some of the craziest, most fanatical people the fandom will ever see. If someone was willing to do that, we should honestly be more worried about what that person does in their daily lives than how many votes they put in.

First off: Not every fan dwells on these boards. and not every fan that goes on these boards posts on these boards.
    Second: The fandom interaction on this boards generally shows an interest in female bots. Fan art, fan fiction, comics, shows, radicons, general disscusion...every where you go, a majority of people like/want female Cybertronians.
    third: " But here they are winning just because they are female robots, which is really the wrong way to go about it. " This statement is actually not that disagreeable, except for one thing. The GENDER won. We didn't choose any specific characters based on gender, we, the fandom, chose the gender of the characters. We know nothing about these bots, except they're Autobots, and their combined form is an independent acting female combiner named Victorion. We don't even know what independent means. We know nothing about the individuals (aside from them being Autobots and female). So how are these bots winning just because they're female? They'd have still won if the winning gender was male.

What? I'm not sure I follow. How will this cause sexuality and stuff to show up in more Transformers stories? In IDW we're not really even having this as a passing remark thing anymore. Most Transformers stories have females in them, and they don't even mention the difference, cause it's normal (at least in that universe/continuity).

furthermore, how is having male+female bots combining together bad? Furthermore, when did you first decide to complain about this? Centuritron, that newish minicon combiner, is made of two males and a female. The helicopter, Windshear? She's a girl. Males and females combining was already a thing before this poll was even announced.

Basically: your argument has been invalidated to a large degree by facts. sorry bro.

3. H.E.X.-BRAVE

H.E.X.-BRAVE Well-Known Member

the Beast Wars 2 God Neptune combiner is a mixed gender combiner, followed by the Minicon combiners, there is also the obscure Japanese G1 version, no ill effects came from those combinations, physically & mentally.

personally i liked to think combiner teams using Power Rangers Megazord & Pacific Rim 'Drift' logic, with their combined mode having some sort of mental hub that is like a 'cockpit' virtual control room with each respective consciousness of the individual limbs meet & communicate through a mental link like a crew of a ship, making plans & strategies like in a meeting room in that mental hub, being the point of a combiner in the first place that is combining everyone's individual skills to have a greater power.

though not all combiners having their performance improved, some went the opposite due to mental incompatibility.

4. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    It depends on the source material. In G1 the race was constructed by another species, they didn't naturally evolve, which meant their "evolution" was guided by a gendered humanoid species. It's why I don't freak over facial hair on bots, which I really don't like either. Now if it was something where they evolved from the ground up and had no reason for sexual dimorphism, then they should be nongendered. Period. Just like there shouldn't be NBA on Cybertron as it's a human invention. Same principle.

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    That's the best descriptor for a gestalt personality as I can think. 3-6 minds working as one unit. And if that personality is female dominated, then the gestalt would identify as female. In the case of the above, only one member was ever female in a team of otherwise males, so it is obvious that the gestalt would identify itself as male. An all-male team forming a female gestalt or vice versa would be the eyebrow raiser, in my opinion...and would probably be the most controversial.

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Japanese Overlord is a two person combiner, of an actual married couple.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it's disturbing that people even jump to gender or sexuality at all when talking about giant combining robots.

(FYI, I half tune out the subject of sexuality even though I respond in threads like this. I acknowledge what is being discussed but my mind never fully delves into the implications.)

I thought they were robotic, five-faced tenatacled bottom aliens. Is that still considered humanoid. And do we know that the quint's were gendered?

Also, isn't sexual dimorphism a limitation to human understanding. What's to prevent a tri-morphism or quad-morphism.

8. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    No wonder they don't ever get any work done, they're cat-calling and whistling at each other all day long.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't own GDO Swerve but I've always thought it'd make a decent Classics Ironhide stand in.

I like this post.

10. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    The possibilities are limitless. :ev: 

11. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Well. Friggin'. Said.

:bowdown: 

12. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Guys if there's frustration about female fan builts its because its now a pattern. Its like voting in a state that always votes opposite of you. Also, while it is nice to have new female bots, it seems odd that a community whose majority is assumed to be male would vote twice in a row for female characters to be made. It would point to a very active minority.

I would be more in favor of character based voting. Thus it could include the likes of Nautica, which I'm sure has a substantial male following, but also include Tarn (probably not due to torture, but for the sake of example), Riptide, Chromedome, Flatline, etc. It would be more predictable/ understandable outcome...and there should be some transparency some graph like we get here during a poll.

Don't pile on frustrated voters. They may not know how to direct their frustration properly.

Oh if these new combiner members include some IDW cast male or female I may be very interested myself.

13. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Huh? If 'people who want more female characters' truly are a minority, then surely the female option wouldn't have won the vote? The app-based voting this time prevented ballot-stuffing, if that's what you were getting at. If the majority of people really did want male characters, then they clearly didn't get off their arses and actually vote for that...

14. tukai

tukai Well-Known Member

But can they cook energon meals?

15. H.E.X.-BRAVE

H.E.X.-BRAVE Well-Known Member

considering the problems caused by close minded views here on alien life that happened to resemble machines, makes me want somebody at the Hasbro office to instantly reboot the tagline from "Robots in Disguise" to "Aliens in Mechanical Disguises" they may look like machines but actually they are no different than you!!! MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!!!

i like it when Silas refers to them as "living technology" instead of robots along with his doctor henchmen calling Breakdown a donor (though unwillingly) for his entire organs,

i think they need to focus more on the Techno Organic parts introduced in Beast Wars & Beast Machines.

asexual "robots" trope is overused & lack creativity, just make Star Wars-like Droids if you want to get stuck with the trope.

16. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It's a pattern of .... two, when the default bots when there is no poll is male anyway so things normally go that way without even having to vote. It is literally the first female combiner when there's a half dozen existing scramble city style male combiners.

It's like complaining over not getting another Bumblebee or Optimus toy.

Also, tons of males here have said they voted female. Why assume it is only female fans when the results strongly indicate tons of male fans wanted more female bots for variety?

All data we have, whether the poll itself or even just looking around right here, indicates it was the majority opinion. And honestly I'm guessing in the 60-70% range.

They definitely don't, what with all their accusations of conspiracy, saying how horrible everyone else getting their preference is, and how it doesn't count because they specifically didn't get what they want.

Some reality check is very much called for.

17. Fan of Arcee

Fan of Arcee Active Member

Ebay:
    I think it just means the fans do actually want more female figures. It's not just with Transformers, Mattel did 2 fan polls one at SDCC the other NYC asking which of 2 or 3 characters did they want in the Masters of the Universe Classics line. In both polls there was a one female, and both times the fans voted for the female, Huntara and Mara. Now that was a smaller cross section of the fan base since they were done at conventions. I find it interesting that with both of these MOTUC polls and the TF ones had females win. It seems that perhaps the fans who don't want more females are the vocal minority not the other way around.

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your argument only holds water if you assume the voting is even and fair. The people making the argument that for whatever are conspiracing that either the voting, voting process, and/or entire poll was rigged or flawed. And although they based they reasoning on no known facts, it falls to people on the other end to provide proof of legitimacy. Guilty until proven innocent.

The difference is people who vote in state that majorly votes in the opposite direction don't claim that the vote was rigged.

Why is it odd that a community whose majority is assumed to be male would vote for female characters? If anything, it's completely believable. If we were talking about boys versus girls that's a different story. Do we know the age breakdown of the poll voters?

Nope, that's why war started. Lack of food. All the male bots had to go for take-out (on Earth).

You know what's overused and lacks creativity. The human gender trope. :p 

19. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    I think polls like this actually demonstrate that too.

20. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

Honestly if you don't want more Females you're welcome to just not buy this combiner or any other female TF and politely shut the fuck up and leave those who do alone.