Family Guy actually nominated for Emmy!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by DeathStorm, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    That seems a little contradictory to me. SP has always built on pop culture icons and trends. While I admittedly don't watch the show much anymore, I do recall the guinea pig episode - which was homage to Cloverfield and The Blair Witch Project. They consistently reference other events and current trends, just like FG.

South Park deserves respect but, to me at least, they have been stuck in a recycling of jokes for some time. Cartman changes into something he's not or Kyle gets made fun of because he's jewish. While still a relevant show, I just don't watch it much anymore. Those episodes I do watch have their moments, but few and far between. I also think the movie pushed such limits that the show just isn't funny because it's not raunchy enough.

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hehehe, South Park did receive an award, and they stuck it in Randy's poop :D  LOL

Um, I was actually defending Family Guy, hehehe, but sure. I just mean that when you go watch a comedian, he has a bunch of interlaced stories that individually are funny, but there isn't always a tie between them. FG is being compared to more story-driven shows, and this is because of it's similarity in surface structure to Simpsons. But that's what it isn't. It's a show with an assload of pulp culture references tied together with a very lose story.

For the record, I consider myself to be the biggest South Park fan I know. I own every season on DVD, and now 12 on Bluray, I know episode specifics and make an entire event out of new seasons (with beer and wings "Seriously to the point where when I see South Park anywhere I immediately crave wings"), but I appreciate Family Guy for what it is. I have a different taste that is met by each of the animated shows out there, including King of the Hill and the new Goode Family. Family Guy is a comedian poking fun at things I relate to in my geek interests, while weaving a lose story behind them.

3. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I liked FG well after I saw that SP episode. I think FG has a lot of funny gags, but overtime, I slowly started to hate it. The characters started to seem more irritating than funny over time, and a lot of the jokes started to get stale, and some of them are completely pointless. (Conway Twitty in OJ episode, for example) I also have another reason, but I won't go into that here.

If you like FG, that's fine. I won't look down on you if you do. I just don't think it deserves an emmy.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

i used to like family guy, but now i think it's shit. reused jokes that run far too long and a paper thin plot by animated sitcom standards. yeah the pop culture references are it's niche but there are way too many of them and half of them aren't funny imo. it's one of the better animated sitcoms now, but 2 crappy seth mcfarlane shows getting their own show (and the cleveland show kicking out king of the hill) is lame. it seemed that when family guy started, the simpsons started getting worse. classic simpsons was the best

5. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Here's the full list of nominees. It includes all the ones they don't show on TV - lighting, stunts, sound and such. I saw one or two for The Simpsons, plus a couple for Sarah Silverman (one for her show, one for the song she did on Jimmy Kimmel's show) and even MADtv.

It looks like the eligibility period ended on 31 May - if it were later, I'd say that the Colbert Report would be a lock based on his week in Iraq. As it stands, I can pretty much guarantee that George Carlin's special (It's Bad for Ya) will get the statue.

If gorram Hannah Montana gets an Emmy...well, I would say that I would riot, but I won't because these awards (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, MTV, whatever) are almost always stupid. I can't help but think back to the Grammys back in 2003. The choices for best album included Eminem's The Eminem Show and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's The Rising - both incredible albums. The award went to Norah fucking Jones for her debut album. More recently, the total lack of love for Iron Man just plain stunk.

...and yet I can't stop paying attention to these stupid awards....

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Their cutaways last too long. I can remember only one cutaway that lasted over 30 seconds that amused me, and that was because it was a Get Smart reference that wouldn't have made sense if condensed into the 3 seconds that their gags SHOULD be limited to.

7. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I usually defend Family Guy, but there's no excuse for that one. That "joke" was terrible.

8. Frank Horrigan

Frank Horrigan YAR! I be posting!

The Emmy's completely snubbing both the last seasons of the Shield and the Wire is pretty fucking insane.

Both shows were two of the best dramas television had ever seen.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I like Family Guy.

I must be fucking insane.

I will now go stab myself in the face.

10. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    My Thoughts exactly. My sister loves the show but I can't stand it. Its certainly not what I call "Emmy" Material in the least, but given what is eventually nominated nowadays, I'm not surprised.

11. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:

Yeah you better! You insane crackhead! :) 

12. Mechafire

Mechafire Tarnished Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Well, thanks to your reverse psychology, I have decided not to. :)