Exactly what is 20th Op in-scale with?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dasaffe, Dec 31, 2006.

1. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I just got the 20th Anniversary DVD Prime (little lackluster, I have to say). It's my first time with the mold and I was suprised at just how far out-of-scale the vehicle mode is to Alternators.

Dave Van Domelen estimated the scale at 1:28, but what's that in scale with?

Anyone know of any other Transformers that are around 1:28?

2. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Why does this figure keep getting lumped in Alternators. He is NOT an Alt. Alts have their own Prime....he is a line of his own in America. One of only five (technically four) in Japan.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

master piece series is not in scale at all.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    hell, he's not even in scale with himself. His doors are too small

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    Yeah, he can't be shoehorned into any scale, because different parts of him (notably the tires) are not in scale with other parts of him.

6. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Alt Prime is poo. I mean, he's functional, but he's not aesthetically pleasing at all. Masterpiece Prime is a work of art and deserves no less than to lead the 'bots. Size issue means nothing to me. Besides, promotionally, Alts and MPs have been lumped together from the start. If you don't like that, then fine, but imo Prime is meant to be a semi-truck, not some ko-looking Dodge pickup.

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:

Speaking of astectically pleasing, THAT is what they designed (not scaled) MP Prime to be. I believe the idea was to give you the best show-accurate Prime. not necessarily "to scale" as most have already said.

Alts are designed to be in perfect scale and use actual models. robot modes are confined to what licenced cars you can get.

As far as I know, MP Prime isn't an exact match in alt mode, and is not a licenced model.

And while I love the MP, and he's atop my shelf of Alts.

8. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

Guys, Takara has been lumping MP Convoy in with the Binaltechs since the start of the BT promotional material, so don't jump up and act like this poster is crazy for insisting they're the same thing. It's not only the fans who've lumped them together. Most of you would say MP Starscream isn't part of the BT/KP line, but he's featured in the Kiss players manga and Megatron will be joining him soon. Takara, the designers, intend for the toys to interact with eachother. The only reason alt Prime exists is because of market concerns in Japan.

BTs/ALTS/MPs are all the same design team and the same marketing direction. They are designed to interact with eachother. There's a reason MP Convoy's trailer is designed to fit a BT in car mode. The thing you have to accept is that if MP Convoy were in true scale with the BTs, he would have to be much larger and that's not feasible. Same goes for Starscream, who is very much out of scale with the MP Convoy in his own titled toyline. Unless you want inverted chicken legs like the movie design to equate the robot scales, it is best to just accept that it can't be perfect.

9. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

You might say MP Prime tips... the scales Waaahahahahaha!!!!

10. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

I know that the goal of 20th Op wasn't to make an scale replica of a truck in alt mode nor to join the Alternators in either size.

I guess my question was:

If you were to sit a toy next to 20th Prime in Alt mode and expect it to look nice, which toy would you choose?

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    BT/ALTs to 20th/MP Prime. "You can't lead us! Your're not in scale!" :lol  :lol 

12. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Not really directing my comment soleley at him. I thought Hasbro or someone said at the beginning that they had nothing to do with each other? I don't know about the Japanese side.

Even if they are meant in to interact with one another, he is still not an Alt.

Now that this has been exlained though, how do they explain two Primes? I'm curious now........

13. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Maybe because he looks DAMN good with them - and that whole Takara lumping them together as well.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The Binaltech story never finished properly, but, Prime was on his way to confront Unicron, and Wheeljack or someone was building him a BT body in case his mission turned out badly and he needed a backup.

15. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I thought it was because a pickup truck wouldn't see as a toy in the asian market unless they called it Convoy. It would have made more sense to make him Iron Hide or Trailbreaker.

16. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

That's what I remember reading as well. At anyrate, you can lump whatever transformers together you want, they are yours!

17. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Everybody is ignoring the original post in this thread.

A lot of deluxe cars and voyager vehicles from energon and cybertron seem to go with MP prime. Of course, he looks like he could step on most of them in robot mode.

18. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    seconded. I've always thought of the MP series as being Super Alternators/Binaltech, whether that was the designers' intention or not.

EDIT: And to stay on topic, he does appear to be in a smaller scale than Alts, but he's close enough for me to still lump him in with them.

19. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I pretty much think of them the same way...

And not to mention that you can put Alts/BT's in the trailer of MP-04 Convoy/Prime and it looks to have been designed that way. If they didn't cancel the Binal Tech line in Japan the Kiss Convoy wasn't even going to be a Convoy it was going to be Ginrai instead.

20. dasaffe

dasaffe Morrissey Fan

Exactly my point. I was looking at the door on the side of 20th Op's truck mode and it struck me how close it was to the size of Classic Hot Rod's door. Again, the robot is rediculously bigger than any of the Classics guys.

I was just wondering if anyone grouped 20th Prime with something OTHER than Binalternators.

I've got him up on the shelf with Wheeljack and he looks damn cool, but that's me.