Ever watch a so that's awful, but compelled to keep watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by CodeXCDM, Jul 18, 2014.

1. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A show that you find soooo bad/stupid/absurd... that you probably should stop wasting your time on, but yet... you just keep watching...

Ever watch a show like that? If so, what was it, and what compelled you to keep going anyway?

Right now.. I just finished streaming "The Following" Season 1 on Netflix. Frankly... it starts of great, but man... it gets silly after a few episodes, and downright absurd by mid season. To avoid spoiling much, all I will say is that the bad guys are inexplicably organized and resourceful, so much that they make the FBI mean "Fricking Babbling Idiots." It gets predictable too what happens at some points... and yet... I can only sit there... guess what happens to certain characters, and laugh at what next absurdly impractical scene occurs next.

I went on IMDB to see Season 2 synopsis... and it just seems even more absurd than Season 1. But I still want to see how they try to explain it all... while laughing because it's just so silly.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Freddy Got Fingered is brilliant in its awfulness.

Ancient Aliens is likewise awful, but I'm always watching it when it's on.

3. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I watched the modern version of Doctor Who for about 3 series longer than I should have before finally drawing the line.

To this day some people on certain forums would probably insist that I should keep watching "just because it's Who" but when I have better options for getting my Who fix, I don't see the point of continuing to waste my time with the tedious shit that the BBC puts out.

4. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last year's Super Bowl comes to mind.

5. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    Bob Saget's stand up. he's so awful at it but every 15 minutes he'd say something genuinely funny so i pushed through, lol.

6. smkspy

My dog licked my balls, doesn't get any better.

And half the spectacle of his act is seeing Danny Tanner, the wholesome dad of full house, tell some of the most vulgar stories and jokes you've ever heard. It's like when the kids of the Great Depression learned for the first time that FDR was a cripple.

I'd say Smallville falls into this category too. Other than the premise and Lana Lane, the show really is shit. And then they bring in the hottest Lois Lane to keep you hooked even longer.

7. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

The anime series called School Days pretty much popped into my head just as soon I saw the title of this thread. Then again, I knew it was going to be awful before going into this. Chalk it up to me having a case of very morbid curiosity. :/

8. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Trolls 2.

9. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    Sword Art Online and Agents of SHIELD.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

So much this. My exact feelings on the show, plus early Lex was neat.

11. bookwormdalek

bookwormdalek Gotta get a grip

News Credits:
    Sharknado

12. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    yeah man, i knew he would be vulgar and not family mak danny tanner but he just seemed so forced and awkward, like he was seeing how many obscenities could be shoved into a sentence. i totally forgot about full house when i watched him so i wouldn't be biased but he was still just abysmal.

i'd still take him over dane cook though lol

13. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I'm about to piss off a bunch of people who are nostalgic about certain shows.
    Reader discretion is advised.

Transformers: Energon.
    To this day I couldn't begin to tell you why I watched that godawful show so much.

Godzilla:The Series
    The Mighty Ducks: The Series
    Quack Pack
    Street Sharks
    The 4Kids Dub of One Piece
    Yu-Gi-OH! (This one I can actually explain. The TCG had just become popular and the Clique I had then fallen in with [my clique having become a bunch of assholes] actively played the game during lunch period)
    Rocket Power
    Saban's late-90's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Live-action series
    The Mask: The Animated Series
    Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (The shorts, the Feature-Length film, AND the subsequent TV Series)
    Freakazoid

Okay, enough with the stupid Cartoons

Monk (I think the plots are way too convenient, but I honestly can't stop myself if I start watching for some reason and get upset if another show comes on)
    Smallville (Fuck this show. The effects were shit and the writing was even worse)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  14. smkspy

Forgot about Lex, yeah he was awesome.

I remember seeing Half Baked in the theater, in the early days of the internet before such a thing as youtube, and my little world crumbled when I saw him say "I sucked dick for cocaine." To 17/18 yr old me, he was my Andy Griffith or Mike Brady. Followed his career ever since, (HIMYM excluded), but yeah, sometimes he it does feel like he's embraced that "Hey, I'm dad from FH and AFHV, look how vulgar I can be" shtick a little too hard.

15. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    oh fuck, i forgot he was in half baked. that was okay for me because it wasn't an hour and a half of "I FUCK RIMJOBS SHITTY TITTIES THROUGH HER PISSER also full house was a thing". i keep trying all these new comedians on netflix and haven't found a good one yet, and i'm out of aziz ansari, lol.

16. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Birdemic and The Door

17. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

1. Star Trek: Voyager

I'm a Trek fan, but I despise Janeway. Tuvok and the Doctor were really the only two characters I cared about. Not that I had an issue with the rest, I just can't say they mattered all that much to me. In retrospect, it felt like a chore to watch.

2. Enterprise

I watched it because it was sorta Star Trek, even though it wasn't called "Star Trek" until later. UNLIKE, Voyager, I stopped watching it all together not long after Season 2. Nothing about the show was compelling, they were retconning whatever they wanted, and the crew were a bunch of lames.

18. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I don't think Sharknado and Birdemic should count, I mean they were MADE to be bad movies. Hell, the trailers for the second Sharknado give maybe a fuck and a half before going silly.

19. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

Son of the mask, to this day this movie disturbs me., but at the time I fet compelled to watch it. I still can't get rid of the voices in my head

20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I don't know what it was about Smallville, but it somehow found a way to get me to watch all of it in just one Summer. I don't hate it, but there were a lot of things that really annoyed about that show like the fact that most of Superman's villains are dead before he becomes Superman, and I really didn't like Lana Lang.