Ever had a job offer withdrawn?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sonscreen, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

It was only a two month temp job but I was really excited to get a job offer. I accepted before Thanksgiving and they started the background/reference check/ paperwork process. I got back today from re-doing my fingerprints and I got a call from my recruiter. Supposedly the hiring manager at the client company changed the job requirements. I guess the client can do whatever they want but it seems pretty unprofessional.

Man I feel really crummy. I'm just glad I didn't do any Christmas shopping. :cry 

Oh well, time to pound the pavement again.

2. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It didn't happen to me but happened to a boyfriend of mine. Really happy because he moved all the way from San Jose to Eureka where I was going to school. The job was working for the local news station and he moved in his apartment and everything and when he reports to work on the first day the manager guy calls him in his office and was like yyyyaaaahhhh we ended up canceling the position all together. He immediately called his old job in hopes of getting his old job back (because there are NO jobs in a small college town) and the job thing didn't even pay for his moving expenses and my boyfriend at the time was such a nice guy golden boy type that he didn't go after them or nothing for it I was shocked I was like give me 5 minutes with them.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Sure I have. I've had times where an employer decided to not fill the position until a later date (if at all), or that they wanted someone different for the position, etc. etc. It happens, and it sucks.

4. Sonscreen

Good grief that's horrible. :mad  No courtesy or respect.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to be nosey but do you have something that might have sent up a red flag? They might say the job requirements changed but they might be just not wanting to say they found something that they don't like.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sounds like something flagged up for the OP to have that offer withdrawn, either that or somebody came in and offered to work for less and the company went for it.

7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Eureka is real? :O

8. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This happened with my Dream Job. I made it through both interviews and I was stellar. I'd had a power lunch with the VP and he had pretty much welcomed me aboard and then the whole thing just went away. I was truly sad.

Sometimes they make the decision to close some positions, rather than hire an employee who is very likely going to be laid off the next year due to cut backs.

9. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I am sorry to hear that Sonscreen :( 

10. Sonscreen

My recruiter told me my background/references were OK.

11. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm sorry to hear that and yes it has happened to me before.

I currently went under the same thing with constant date changes.

Just reapply and call the recruiter.

My recruiter called me and said that the company changed the requirements and reapply and see what happens. That's all.

12. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Odd that they did that right after fingerprinting. Maybe they're racist.

Would steal their stapler and set the building on fire.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Once I landed a job on a Thursday, turned up for my first day of work on the following Monday and discovered the company had gone into Administration/Liquidation over the weekend.

15. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol yes went to school there my husband grew up there and we got married there

16. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Been there. I suppose it's better then, yes you meet our qualifications but we still don't want to hire you.

17. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Don't know if this counts or not...

I was set to move to Italy to join the 173rd for 3 years after I had finished my tour in Iraq, had orders in hand, and started the process to leave Iraq. Well I got extended in Iraq, and as such my slot was given away, orders cancelled and I ended up at Ft. Lewis (WA)

18. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry to hear that.

But basically... job recruiters do dick moves like this all the time. I mean why not... the Job to Applicants ratio is still obscene enough that they can interview folks, say "I think you got the job," interview more folks, and say "whoops, never mind! lolol"

Earlier in the year I get not one, but two sets of interviews with a company... same deal... only they don't even have the decency to let me know they weren't interested, or moved onto another candidate.

Then there's folks that try to contact you, reply once or twice... then out the cold blue simply stop answering. (Like what happened to me this past Thanksgiving. Tried contacting three times... I stopped bothering.)