Ever get so bored of waiting for releases you just buy something you normally wouldn't?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by boomerdave, May 28, 2024.

1. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    That's how I generally handle it too. I usually get to the point of adding stuff to the cart, but have enough sense to say "hmmm maybe I'll sleep on it." Come back the next day and realize that I'm not actually particularly interested in that figure

Occasionally I will go through with something, but if it's not something that I'm dying to have, I'll generally only grab it if it's less than retail price

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't do the cart thing but if I want something, it'll just nag at me for days until I finally decide to order it. Or, if I talk myself out of it, it'll keep nagging at me until eventually I forget about it. That's what happened with that KO Drift. Thought about it, decided against it, but I kept thinking about it until finally I decided that I wanted it and ordered it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ummmm, that’s why I have a bunch of GI Joes heading this way as we speak to setup some Energon Universe displays :lol 

IMG_5429.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    Not out of boredom, but I've had whims that lead to late-night poor decisions. Like, here's my most recent. See, years ago, I picked up Open & Play's Big Spring knowing full well that it was a placeholder until MMC would eventually release Saltus. And, sure enough, I did get Saltus, and while I love the bot mode I kind of hate the helicopter mode. Meanwhile, I like the car mode because of the liberties MMC took made it look more like a purposefully-designed ground-based vehicle and not the helicopter mode with the tail cut off, but it's definitely not Sunbow-accurate.

I also, at one point, picked up ToyWorld's Spanner because I wanted a toy-style Springer.

Fast forward to about a week ago... I was talking to a friend about Studio Series 86 Springer. He was commenting that, for all the deco tweaks and what not to make the figure a bit more screen accurate than the Siege figure, he was disappointed that it was still missing the horizontal stabilizers on the tail in helicopter mode. Now, I hadn't had Saltus in helicopter mode pretty much since I first got him, and I was thinking, "stabilizers, I don't remember Springer having stabilizers?" But I look at the Sunbow art, and sure enough, they're partially obscured by the rotor but he does have horizontal stabs on his tail boom. OK, I transformed Saltus, and yeah, he's got these dinky little stabs. Big Spring and Spanner? Stabs.

So I start Googling some of the other Springers, and they all have stabs. But while Googling I was reminded that a couple people had said they really liked X-Transbots Virtus. The bot mode looked a little skinny, but the helicopter and car modes looked to be the most Sunbow-accurate of all the Springers. I decided I kind of wanted to replace Saltus with Virtus.

But wait! That's a whim, but not necessarily a poor decision. No, that was when I found Virtus for a decent price... at a store that had Fans Toys Apache for even less. Lots of people like Fans Toys, I'm thinking. I decided to give both figures a try.

Now, you might be thinking that's not that bad. Try 'em both, and re-sell the one I like less, right? But that's not how my brain works, you see. Oh, no, at that point my brain is saying, "Dude, with Apache and Virtus you'll have owned every 3P MP-style Springer... except Allen. You can't forget about Allen!" And, knowing full well that there's absolutely zero chance that Allen could claim a spot on my MP shelf that Apache, Virtus, and Saltus were already fighting for, I went on ebay and tracked down a used Allen. Apache, Virtus, and Allen, all on the same day, just because I was talking about SS86 Springer with a friend.

(Side note, while I'll probably be selling listing Apache and Saltus for sale here soon, I'm keeping Allen. No, he doesn't have what it takes to fit into a modern MP display, but he might actually be the most fun of the Springers I have to play with.)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  5. Criggity

Criggity Well-Known Member

Yeah and it's exactly why I have this sales thread open right now:

Criggity's Big Sale! MP, G1, Main, FT, XTB

Because I buy things (and sometimes more than one) just for that transient joy. Then a year or so later, sell everything I needlessly bought just to use that money to buy more filler that I'll probably sell in a year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hobart Paving

Hobart Paving I would prefer not to.

Talking yourself out of that was a mistake. :) 

It’s being re-released, though, so you’ll have another change at convincing yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dragga

Dragga Well-Known Member

I have done this exactly once, and it was a figure I had a mild want for anyway. Kingdom Red Alert, I think. Whichever was the Walgreens exclusive. Was out at the local one and saw him, and just went "I know I have the mold, but I haven't gotten something in a while and what are the odds I'll even be back out here?"

8. Frankthusiast

Frankthusiast Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was tempted to buy a couple of Yolopark kits just to assemble something, since my gundam collection grew waaaay too much to get others at least for a while; what kept me away was a mantra I repeat over these doubts

Transformers gotta transform
    Gundams must be assembled

9. King Nergil

King Nergil Humanoid anchovy

Playing the waiting game sucks, which can lead to dangerous impulse buys. But after some years of ordering random stuff from other lines too (often but not only to fill some gaps) I have developed the self control to stick to my plan and become more patient. Getting rid of the various WST, G1 reissues, BW and remaining Classics figures felt liberating. The only goal now is to have the best MP interpretation of each S1-3 character. Being very anal and perfectionist about that and looking for weird accessories and 3D printed stuff compensates for my prior buying behaviour, I guess.

Last edited: May 29, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Ganon2099

Ganon2099 We're all gonna die

News Credits:
    I might have to pull the trigger....
    I'm buying less official stuff, so I can make room for an unplanned legends guy. I should also support them hoping that they or other companies do 3P UT Legends guys

• Like Like x 1
  11. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    @boomerdave , I think you just need another Ditka ;) 

• Like Like x 7
  12. Gastrotrain

Gastrotrain Well-Known Member

Every time there’s a lull in releases I venture deeper into TFWiki and find a new obscure character I want to make a custom of. I used to think “oh I’ll save some money the next few months, nothing coming out until September that I want” meanwhile I’ve bought 10 old figures, paint, putty, etc. But hey, I probably spend more time fiddling with and appreciating the toy and character it’s becoming that it almost feels worth it

13. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    If I do a random buy it’s still in the lanes that I prefer to collect in. I pretty much quit MP collecting all together. Sold off most of my MP stuff to. I usually get a low priority figure. One that I wanted but not right away.

14. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

I almost pulled the trigger on the Springer drama last month. Had to talk myself out of it.

15. Currywurst

Currywurst Heaven And Hell 2001 nostalgic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What do you think triggered my entire MP+legends Diaclone collection?
    Yep. Siege + Earthrise.

16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart I just want to enjoy the things I love in peace

News Credits:
    Yep. Collecting is my hobby. My hobby is not ticking boxes on a list and calling it a day.

When I was younger I obsessed over having every character and when a new figure came out it had to be bought that second. But that was mentally exhausting and I hated the wait between releases.

Now, I just enjoy collecting as an experience. It’s not about filling in holes of checking in boxes(although I still do love completing things), it’s about the experience of buying new figures, experiencing them. So natually I’m always collecting and if something I want isn’t availalble I just look for something similar to get in the meantime.

For some reason a lot of collectors here like to shame each other for how they collect, I’ve had people straight up call me disgusting on here because of how I collect, but the truth is that there is no right or wrong way to do it. As long as you are having fun and are still saving enough money to live off of, who cares what other people think.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Dodgy Dan

Dodgy Dan Some sort of carbon-based bastard.

Happens to me all the time. I'm that used to the steady drip-feed of releases that I start getting a tad fidgety if a fresh dose of plastic crack isn't on the way. Doesn't help that the MP releases have slowed significantly of late, or all dropped at once, like early this year.

In fact, just last night I was eyeballing FH Megatron despite having no real place for him (or any other Armada stuff), and I've been toying with the idea of grabbing Newage legends stuff for ages now, but I always pull back at checkout.

It's worrying, because these moments make me reflect on the nature of collecting. At what point does a hobby become a psychological crutch, or worse, an addiction? Am I too dependant on these plastic baubles for my mental well being? Sometimes, I just want to box up and sell the whole lot of them and free myself from this gnawing obsession. But then again, I look over at Cang Thunderking and think: "Fook me, that looks awesome", and the whole cycle begins again...

Wait.. what were we talking about?

• Like Like x 5
  18. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I have to agree with those that said the missing chest car on Trypticon, sort of ruins it for me as well. I think if it had that, I'd probably go for it. Now my interest has drifted to this kit. I haven't even seen the movie or know what it's about. It just looks cool and fun to build:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mean that's what a hobby is, right? A crutch? Something to fill our time and make life more pleasant. If it's not something that brings in money or that contributes to the world or society or whatever, but only serves to make the person doing it happy, wouldn't that just be a crutch like you say?

I've thought about dropping the whole thing too, just because I spend too much on it and because it accomplishes nothing but then I'd just have to move on to something else. I have other hobbies, but they require time and effort and I tend to go through long periods of not being able to motivate myself to do them - collecting is a way to get that happy feeling without having to do much of anything. Honestly, I probably need to get some sort of diagnosis and medication - I really should be able to enjoy art for more than a few days/weeks - but on the other hand, if it stops being enjoyable, should I really push myself to keep at it? I got into doing comic cover recreations using MP figures in Photoshop because it was kind of like art but it was low enough effort that I could actually see them through before fizzling out but even with that I've started to fizzle out lately. I wish I could enjoy creativity without it all eventually turning into drudgery.

Anyway, for me it's definitely a crutch, but if I were to give it up, I'd just end up finding another crutch.

• Like Like x 5
  20. GuardianofIaconCity

GuardianofIaconCity TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'd be very careful with buying something, because you're waiting for your other bots to arrive. I understand the feeling that you get when you buy a new figure and that feeling you get when it arrives. But if you're constantly chasing that feeling, it can lead you down a very slippery slope.

• Like Like x 2