ever..*game purchasing*

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by metcar, May 31, 2009.

1. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

completely ignore player and professional reviews buy a game thinking everyone has there own opinion only to find out they were all correct. lol *raises hand*

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably. I tend to follow recommendations and avoid the god awful stuff.

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

See about reviews and player comments and all that. It's not like I look at the score of a game and make that be my decision in buying. I'll read what the article has to say about the game and if it sounds good (to me) I'll get it.

Now as for a game I got in disregaurd of the reviews was Advent Rising. Thats a game I really like and really hate at the same.

As long as you had fun with the game I say it's at least "Mission Accomplished!"

4. metcar

metcar mmm donut!

yeah thats how i see it too everyone has there own opinions of games and just because a bunch of people say it sucks doesn't mean you will think it sucks though it does suck when they were all right and your out what ever ammount you paid for it.

5. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

here...

...but i also have been the opposite, where everyone says it's awesome, but it's just meh to me.

so nowadays, if there is, i'll watch clips and look at pics myself and determine it that way.

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't depend on reviews also. If I find the gameplay satisfying I will buy the game.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

I haven't taken a review seriously in years.

8. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to just look at the features list and game play videos and go from their.

9. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Basically when I read a review I look for the following:

Description of the story, overall game play, etc. I will read the reviews. If it gets a high rating, but doesn't interest me, I pass. If it sounds good, then I'll look into it more. If it get's a bad review I may still try it out if it is something I like.

I just read the reviews to get an overall idea about the game and see if it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

10. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

News Credits:
    I rarely worry about reviews: I love shooters ("shooters" used as my preferred term rather than "shoot-em-ups") and 2D fighters. I'd read or hear some legitimate opinions on these games, and then I'd also read or hear reviews and opinions that blow them off primarily because they're 2D games. With that sort of mixed bag of legitimate and bogus commentary, I just go with my gut.

For RPGs, I'll read reviews to get an idea of the storyline, gameplay, and control scheme as those help me make an informed decision on whether a game is likely to be a good match for what I like.

11. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    This is going to happen to everyone who buys the Revenge of the Fallen game.

12. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Games that are supposed to be uber fantastic according to reviews i've ended up hating, GTA4, Halo 3 are prime examples while other games i've played that got panned i've loved, X-Men Origins Wolverine, Afro Samurai & Too Human for example.

Sometimes its works out but not always.

13. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

News Credits:
    happened to me with the last transformers movie game so i'd agree that it probably will also for ROTF.

most of the reviews for bionic commando(the new one) were not very good but im enjoying the hell out of it.

14. McBradders

:lol 

So true.

15. AMG

AMG Old School

For me reviews are nothing more than an outline of what to expect from any given game.
    On many occasions my experience with a title has been the opposite of what mainstream reviews would lead me to believe. I don't take them too seriously.

16. monkeydluffy

monkeydluffy Agent of Hydra

News Credits:
    i try not to listen to reviews but some times it puts me off buying games i'd probably like alot.

some times i think it works the other way round tho and puts my expectations too high. like with bioshock. i'd seen nothing but 9/10 and 10/10 reviews since it came out and i finally got it last week and was pretty dissappointed. i dont think its bad but i dont think its quite as good as billed.

17. McBradders

You had to strike while the iron was hot on that one. Very much a "you had to be there" kinda game.

18. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    Well, that's why they put demos out too and, directly, why I didn't buy Bioshock.

I do consult reviews and look at a bunch of them prior to purchase (as well as seeing what individual players have to say). Hopefully, a demo is out too that helps give a feel for the controls/gameplay prior to purchase. With games at $60, I really don't feel comfortable just blindly picking up something because it sounds like I would enjoy it.

19. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    All the time! Golden Axe: Beast Rider was the most recent. While not a terrible game, I should just stuck to renting it instead of rushing out and paying full price!

20. McBradders

I told you!!!!!!!!