Ever been to court before?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MTME, Oct 30, 2016.

1. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive never been to court before never been in trouble etc.
    In May I got a ticket for rolling through a stop sign which I did not do. I was however guilty of my registration lapsing so I got a ticket for both but I am contesting the rolling stop part of the ticket and was supposed to go to court in July. Well that's when I had my stroke and was recovering. I now have a new court date for November 4th which is now a technically failure to appear. I have all my proof why I couldn't attend court to start with. The lady that gave me my court date and said it was a failure to appear I asked does that mean I'm getting arrested and she said no.
    This has me nervous has anyone else been through this?
    I live in California by the way since I know state stuff makes a difference.

2. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Traffic Court really isn't that big of a deal. I've never contested when I had to appear, though, so I'm not sure how that will go for you.

3. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

You should get some evidence of your medical condition at the time, including something in writing from your doctor. Also for future reference, you can call the court and try to get an extension for your traffic violations. I've gotten two extensions for my speeding ticket in August.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Drangleic

Drangleic Banned

^ Yeah, just get the supporting documents together and I'm sure it will work out for you.

I went to court when I was 17 for underage drinking. Got something like 20 hours of community service. This was way back in the 90s though.

Had to go for a traffic ticket when I was 20 something but the officer didn't show up so it was dropped.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    3 times. All vehicle-related stuff.

2008 I had an instance of following too closely w/ accident resulting. Paid a fine.

Over thanksgiving weekend 2011 I got nailed twice for driving with expired tags. Talked both judges into giving me a reduced fine, the first one because the DMV didn't send me a renewal notice in the mail for some reason, and the second because I got hit with the second violation before I actually had a reasonable chance of getting the first time corrected.

6. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yes, you have a warrant out for failing to appear at court (but you won't arrested unless you get pulled over again). It's probably between 50-100 to get it lifted and you'll be provided a new court date.

You're just going to have to pay and then later present your explanation at your court date. Typically, the judge will just subtract the warrant fee from what you have to pay.

Rolling stops are really hard to contest though as it boils down to your word versus the cops. So unless the cop fails to appear, play that cancer card hard and the judge will likely reduce the fine.

7. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

the only time i ever been in a courtroom was when my late uncle was jailed for too many DUIs and i was with my grandma supporting him. the lawyer we got for my uncle did almost nothing and got thousands of dollars from my grandma.

if the POS actually did his job, my uncle would still be alive.

8. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Jury duty. Served once and not picked the 2nd time.