Escalation Overview

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    It's a nice mix between WfC and FoC.

The limit of 15 waves is disappointing but, the game has a lot more variety than FoC.

For those who don't know, all the maps have all the doors open from the start seeing as with the new unlock system there isn't isn't any need for weapon and item dispensers. In fact, the only thing money goes towards is defences.

The mode features challenges e.g. Defeat 75 soldiers with the Path Blaster and every time you complete challenges (even story mode based ones) you get a box of varying grades, bronze, iron, silver, gold and prime the better the box the better the rewards.

Items you get range from weapons to weapon upgrades plus T.E.C.H, Hacks and characters. Hacks are great as they give greater XP and the wonderful thing about the new unlock system is that once you complete a challenge you can complete them again, unlocking new boxes which gives you more copies of great items such as 6x XP, a healing drone or even the ball that creates a black hole which encourages you to be awesome.

In the Escalation menu (rather than in game like WfC) you can select from a huge range of characters and the great thing about this is that you aren't forced to be someone you dislike simply because someone got to him first. You select a primary weapon you've unlocked, a heavy, an ability 3 T.E.C.Hs and 1 Hack. I believe T.E.C.H is limited to one round whereas Hacks last the match.

Multiplayer abilities make a return with faves like Shockwave (renamed to Thunder Wave) and even Hover Slam. The great thing is you can give them to anyone. Yes, you can make Warpath or even Grimlock Cloak. Seriously! Something I'm liking about the 15 wave limit is how I can quickly make a new player and experiment.

Difficulty is what you make of it as Hacks can make thing challenging and increase the duration of a match plus, some stages are harder than others.

One criticism I have is that Edge of Reality didn't take into account that maps like Broken Hope were designed for a game that had control scheme and so without double jump, navigating the old maps can be tricky.

Any questions?

2. VBBN

VBBN The Awakened

News Credits:
    Obsidian is broken.

Very broken

Last night I was in a game where one guy just camped one single door near the spawn and killed almost everything, spamming ammo beacon, rift combuster, and I think he kept switching to the enemy spotter or someone else was doing it to make them weak, but it was basically a killbox where he got all the kills. (I believe he was one of the people top on the leaderboards for that map, not sure)

3. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I've noticed this on the two Earth maps. Broken Hope was quite balanced, which is funny because that's an original map.

4. jags828

jags828 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Every cybertroian map I've played so far had to be quit because the last one or two enemies where outside of the map and couldn't be killed.

5. ComfyDeathshot

ComfyDeathshot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have a question. How do you unlock characters? Is it through progression? Will you have them all by the end of the campaign?

6. Shizuka

News Credits:
    You get them through the boxes I explained. So, complete challenges, level up and earn boxes and then you may find characters.

7. ComfyDeathshot

News Credits:
    I see. Is this how you unlock Lockdown?

8. TheSpartanD

TheSpartanD Minicon Orphanage Owner

Yes

9. ComfyDeathshot

News Credits:
    Is leveling up easy?

10. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Alpha Omega Trion Supreme One of the longest handles in the fandom!

Ebay:
    Watched some videos yesterday and was very let down that its limited to 15 waves, and from what I saw, it didn't look at all that difficult. Are there any difficulty options, and is it feasible for them to fix this into something that's infinite with progressively more difficult waves?

Are the new levels as claustrophobic as the FoC levels were? Is there room to transform, drive around, and make getaways?

Can you hear the *other* characters talk? It sounded like your own character has voice clips playing, but I wasn't hearing anything from the other players' characters.

I watched a "boss" fight against Optimus Prime and it seemed like a pretty big letdown. Did I miss something?

Is cloaking an ability and is it still broken?

11. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

The levels are pretty large. Unlike FOC where you spend points to unlock doors giving you a larger play area the area is wide open, you spend points instead on missile or gun turrets or booby traps for enemies.

Boss fights are just a named character with a large health bar instead of a drone

Cloaking is still an ability but it is no longer locked to a certain type of character, any one of the 40+ can be equipped with it if you want them to be

I might be wrong but the only characters I've noticed talking in matches is the enemies no other player character.

One of the best things about escalation is you can choose any character you want and give them any weapon or ability. It is no longer locked to a few choices on certain maps.

12. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    What characters are available in escalation mode?

Any returning characters that were omitted like Slipstream and Arcee? Is AOE Galvatron in it?

13. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

For returning characters from wfc no Slipstream or Arcee and I think Barricade is missing too. From foc all characters returned all that were dlc are now stock characters in escalation. The only 4 AOE characters in are Optimus, Bumblebee, Drift, Lockdown. If you get the Wal-Mart version it will have Stinger as a 5th. AOE Grimlock is in campaign but not in escalation, it is only foc grimlock in escalation.

14. TransFanRHX

TransFanRHX Active Member

News Credits:
    The femmes were sadly omitted from ROTDS, same with Barricade. The only playable Movie Characters in Escalation are AOE Prime, AOE Bumblebee, AOE Drift, AOE Lockdown and Stinger if you bought the game from your local Wal-Mart (AOE Grimlock is only in the Campaign).

All of the WFC/FOC characters(with the exceptions of the aforementioned three in the first sentence) are in the game (that includes all of the Dinobots expect for Sludge).

15. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Ebay:
    I couldn't stand to read and watch anymore, so I ran out and bought it last night.

Combat is very similar to FoC. Same types of enemies, and the levels have a bit of a claustrophobic feel compared to WFC. Take Broken Hope, a level from WFC, which has been shrunk in size with all kind of debris littered around so that driving without bumping into anything isn't really feasible. If you were ok with the FoC levels, you'll like this. Personally, I was hoping for something more WFC-ish with more long open distances to travel and shoot across.

Character roster is fantastic. This is the game's greatest strength by far. Stunticons, Combaticons, Aerialbots, Dinobots, and Insecticons have a good representation. Although I didn't see Motormaster or any Aerialbots that weren't already in WFC.

Unfortunately, there are no voice specific character clips. The only bots doing the talking in Escalation are the level narrator and the enemies. I played as StarScream last night, and I'm pretty sure I heard him say something unique to him. If that's true that probably means that the campaign characters might have some voice clips, but then its probably like FoC escalation's voice clips where they're so few and far between that they might as well not even be there. This was something that WFC excelled at for atmosphere, and in here, like in FoC, its not in the same ballpark. With that in mind, you can't melee your coop partners and have them say anything, and for some weird reason, there's no "CLANK!" either when you melee them despite them going into a defense animation.

I'm not liking how the enemies spawn. They seems to focus on the entry point that's nearest to the players' position. So if you're all at the same entry point, a majority of the enemies will spawn from that position, and your team can easily dispatch most of the wave. Because of this, I've noticed a distinct lack of feeling flanked. I'm not sure if hard difficulty remedies that, but currently I wish more enemies would spawn from other points.

I think they fixed cloaking. Its seems that its no longer the uber ability that used to last a ridiculously long time. The customization here is pretty nice. You can give any ability to any character. I see this as mostly a plus, but a part of me liked that certain abilities were linked to specific characters in the past. Especially since the characters are already missing distinction from each other with the lack of individual voice clips.

You can set three tech abilities to the d-pad(up, left, right), some of which(deployable shield, sentry) are like character abilities from the previous games. You can even set the same tech multiple times provided you have unlocked it that number of times, so if you want to use the shield three times, you can. I *think* you can only use these once in a session. I'm going to try to verify that today. I know if you're out of ammo that you can open the weapon locker, and switch to a new weapon then back to refill. I haven't yet tried to open the tech locker to see if they can be reset after being used.

You can also set a hack. This seems to be player specific. You can make the game more or less difficult for yourself in a variety of ways with the tradeoff being more or less XP. You can choose to have a higher rate of fire, but the enemies will have more health, for example.

The 360 load times are extremely long, and they seem to be all over the place until you're in the game. :( 

After one night's of play sessions, I have most of the unlockables. I do like the setup. Just because you unlock a gear box doesn't mean that it will automatically contain what you're missing. So it seems like that last unlockable might take you a bit.

16. Axilus Prime

Axilus Prime Well-Known Member

Does this game have offline Escalation?

17. Alpha Omega Trion Supreme

Ebay:
    I played a private game by myself when I got the game yesterday. I'm not sure if you have to be connected to live or not to do that though. I would hope not, but this mode seems to "Connect to Teletraan 1" more often than it should need.

Just played a session and found out that you can reset your tech as many times as you want. If you run out of tech unlocks, you can still assign that tech, it will just cost you credits instead. The downside is that opening the tech locker and assigning new tech, just like opening the weapon locker, take time and leaves you open for attack. It seems the best time to access these is between rounds.

18. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    So just a quick qustion is whrilwind in rise of the dark spark escalation?

19. thewiredknight

thewiredknight Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had this problem too...it is fixable but you NEED a flyer on your team to fix it. You have to find where they are on the map (the boundary they are outside of) and fly as high as you possibly can. If you fidget around there a bit at maximum altitude, raising and lowering the nose of your flight form, the enemy on the other side will finally cross over the top of the map and attack.

This solved the problem 3 times but again you need someone who can fly to bait them and they need to know to do this.

20. BloodRavenX91

BloodRavenX91 Decepticon War Hero

What are you guys talking about? Lol Barricade is in the game.