Episode 9: "Convoy" Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by janeDoe001, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Ok to be honest i do have ONE tiny nitpick:

Fowler can fly a jet no problem....but get's carsick when Prime swerves a bit.....am I missing something? :lol 

2. janeDoe001

janeDoe001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Some people have problems with motion sickness unless they're driving. It helps them keep their minds off feeling sick.

jD001

3. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    the episode was meh

4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I find it very boring and utimately pointless (Ashioka will die, the clones will turn evil and the whole war is pointless), making the whole show extremely boring because I really canĀ“t care about the characters since i know what will happen to them.

"Oh those jedi were saved from a near death experience? Oh cares, I know they will be gunned down in Revenge of the Sith."

5. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dynamic Nuclear Generation System. I have a photosynthetic memory! :p 

Its not as bad as other acronyms we've had in the past. Think of F.A.R.T and B.U.T.T. from TFA.

6. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to say I am really diggin Silas.

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really excellent episode, with a lot of suspense. I like how the humans posed a threat, but they didn't make them so uber that the Autobots would have too much trouble fighting them. I hope to see more of MECH in the future.

This is definitely slowly becoming my new favorite Transformers show, and if this keeps on I can't wait to see its potential.

8. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I also really appreciated the realistic approach to MECH. I was afraid the humans were going to be corny, but they were very well written.

9. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I like the episode over all but I'm having problems with the kids rushing in to save Optimus et stuff. Technically this was a fire fight.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The kids never rushed in to save Optimus, they were going to protect the bomb. (or stall MECH until one of the bots could show up)

11. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    tfwiki to the rescue, eh?

12. Stygimoloch

News Credits:
    Funnily enough, I actually did remember it.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

It's probably too late now but since I forgot yesterday ( or it least it was were I am) Happy birthday. like I said I was a bit tired.

14. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    Dude, make a birthday thread for yourself in GD.

Also, this could have been posted in the existing Prime:Convoy thread.

15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    1. The show continues to soar past my already ceiling-high expectations.
    2. Human villains were great in Animated. BS to them being campy and annoying. Okay, Nanosec and Masterson was annoying. But Professor Princess is just too hilarious to think of as annoying... One minute she's eating cupcakes the next she's screaming about taking out "BIG MEAN NASTY ROBOTS" while riding a flying unicorn doll. :lolol  The Angry Archer was also very funny with his John Cleese accent. Prometheus was amazing, being a psychotic seriously threat to the Autobots and willing to committ a crime against humanity.

Silas, not Silos, and MECH are very interesting. They remind me of Agent Bishop and the Earth Protection Force in the 2003 TMNT series: both are led by an enigmatic, capable and dangerous leader, and both MECH and the EPF serve as "secondary" villains compared to the Foot and the Decepticons.

Happy birthday.

16. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just finished watching this episode for the 2nd time. Before I get into anything else, I just have to say that this is the most visually striking cartoon on TV today. In addition to the character animation, which surpasses even Lucasfilm's high-end Clone Wars show IMO, the backgrounds are vibrant and jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Each shot looks like a postcard. I love all the added details like the old, beat up pickup that was holding up traffic. Any random truck could've been put in there, but they created something new and memorable. In a cel-animated show it wouldn't stand out to me as much, but in a CGI show where everything costs a bunch to render, I was pleased to see so many new models make it into this episode. I loved the train too. And when one of Mech's cars flipped, I noticed that the undercarriage was modeled too; something you almost never see.

With Star Wars: The Clone Wars, I do think it has some of the most impressive backgrounds around, but perhaps in this case Transformers wins me over because I can related to its native landscapes. The desert roads, snowy tundras, and mountain passes ground this fantasy show in reality in a way that the alien landscapes of Clone Wars don't.

Okay enough about the animation. The story was pretty sharp, with a couple hiccups. The Decepticons played a largely insignificant role in this one, with their appearance seeming more for the benefit of Silas. Part of his role in this episode was to become aware of the robotic aliens among them, so as to become a more worthy opponent later on. His presentation was handled well. He's a different kind of villain than Megatron, and I like that he doesn't bash on his troops when things go wrong. He even shows a modicum of concern when he tells Fowler that he hopes he treats his cargo better than his Mech prisoner.
    Oh! And I do love that one of the regular Eradicon drones got in a solid hit against Prime. With a tree! I did not see that coming. I always worry about villain degradation in these kinds of shows, and especially where canon fodder is concerned, it's important to show that they're not completely inept. Of course, none of the other Eradicons score so much as a single hit, which makes the tree trunk hit all the more important. Thought it was funny when the one Eradicon covered his head after his buddy got smoked though. Hehe.

The hiccups: Warping Jack and Miko into the train. What exactly did that accomplish? The Autobots were already aware that there were soldiers aboard the train (well, 1 soldier) guarding the DINGUS. I don't think they knew that the soldier had been knocked out. If they were, they didn't mention it. So warping the kids into the train seemed unnecessary. Plus, their presence there was soon proven to be unneeded anyway. Although, I will give them points for having a somewhat dramatic moment there when Jack and Miko thought they were about to die.

The Decepticons- again, pointless to have them here except to remind us that they're not just sitting on their duffs like the IDW 'cons under Starscream's rule. Also important towards Silas' development, but otherwise put in a weak showing. Their lack of importance in this episode is made all the more apparent by the fact that Starscream's reaction to their failure was never touched on. After the 'cons are taken care of, we never hear a peep about them for the rest of the ep. I understand though- this ep was all about MECH, not the 'cons. I'm willing to let it slide.

I DO like Silas' and MECHs' reaction to the Autobots and Decepticons in this episode. I like that he wasn't the type of villain where everything went right for him or everything wasn't foreseen. I liked it when Raf hacked the train and gave it a new course, throwing the helicopter off. I liked seeing Silas getting thrown about in his helicopter a bit. I hate those kinds of villains where everything goes to plan for them, like they planned for every eventual outcome and their hair never gets mussed. Those kinds of villains are absolutely boring to me. Like Jigsaw from the Saw movies. So lame.

Overall: A solid episode with a good new villain. :D 

17. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So really, am I the only one who has a problem with Prime not even trying to disable the helicopter? Good guy 101: don't let the bad guy get away. You don't have to kill them, just shoot the tail off.

18. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shooting tails off usually kills people inside helicopters.

19. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, yeah. I kept shouting at the screen, "Shoot him down! Don't let him get away!!!" He must've been hovering right over Prime's head for a good 10 seconds or more just talking. Now you know Silas will come back more dangerous than ever. Oh well. Such is the way of cartoons.

20. Stygimoloch

News Credits:
    Perhaps he was exhausted from stopping the gajillion pound train moving at a gajillion miles an hour?

I dunno. That's the only plausible explanation I have.