Episode 42 "Hurt" Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Stardust262, Aug 23, 2012.

1. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

Yo, true.

I guess I can agree it crossed a line, but what that means is up-for-grabs.

I like that "The Wreckers" kind of means the same thing across-the-brand at this point. Like I say, this ep was "Wreckers Lite," but it's still got the same batch of moral quandaries The Wreckers usually drag along.

And, hey, we're thinking about it/discussing it/debating it, right?

If you're thinking about it/discussing it/debating it, that means some writer(s) wrote something well.

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ugh poor hardshell and bs. i understand autobots might not get killed off as they are the good guys but come on.

sick of the toss cons to the side.

did enjoy knockouts moments, him and breakdown buffing each other, oh my.

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it!

News Credits:
    I understand what you're suggesting...but seriously, the "writers" are the ones who script what the VA's are saying/reading. So it's not the VA's sex that should matter at all. Either we like the character(s) as written or not--- it's just a plus having a great VA, known or unknown.

Personally, the writing for Airachnid from day 1 made her an unlikeable, sadistic character...the VA only voiced the words on her script. Gina Torres is awesome, as an actress or VA, I've seen her in several series. But Airachnid would have been just as unlikeable if she were voiced by a complete unknown. I put her in the same bucket as Megs, they both want Earth to rule....humans aren't needed, except as slaves.

Same thing goes with Megs...as a character in TFP, I don't 'like' him, I don't care for his plans to destroy human kind and rule Earth. Does Welker do a great job voicing him?, of course. BUT I still don't like the character, heck he will even sacrifice his own troopers to survive, not much to admire about him, imho.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  4. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

Fair point!

5. SuzyPrime

SuzyPrime The friendly lurker

:lol 

It's 1:30 a.m. where I am and I've plagued you all with my opinions for long enough. Goodnight.

6. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    B-But Hardshell's not really an evil guy! HE'S JUST MISUNDERSTOOOOOOOOOOOD!

7. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    she is a teenager, not a child. It does make a difference. Also- most 15 year olds these days have seen worse (in movies, video games, youtube, etc). Im going to watch this episode with my 4 and 7 year old tomorrow - ask them what they think of Miko's actions - if they find it disturbing at all.

I think if Miko had killed Silas or another HUMAN character i could get behind your point more, but this show has already had robots being murdered, zombied, dismembered, etc - human beings were being vaporized ON SCREEN in DOTM - didnt stop it from being watched by plenty of kids out there.

There is some relevant dfference between a teenager killing another human and a teenager killing a giant murderous alien robot bug thing.

8. WoundSave

News Credits:
    well said- and i agree - though i return to the point that the female characters seem to receive a disproportionate amount of hate. Never seen anyone type "i hate Megs, he's such an asshole."

9. raptor22

raptor22 @TFBotShots on IG

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Bulkhead or Wheeljack should've died...

Putting Bulkhead in stasis is like Airarchnid-- "We don't know what to do with that character, so we'll shelve them but won't kill them off because we might need them back later on"...

but all in all, I'm just glad the show is back :) 

10. crazyjeffy

crazyjeffy Hammertastic

Oh no I wasn't suggesting it was because the VA's were female! lol I meant that I just didn't know who they were. And even though the writers do all the writing and whatnot, I feel like the VA really brings the character to life through voicing.
    I mean, would Prime Starscream really be as awesome if he were voiced by Sam Riegel, voice of WFC/FOC Starscream? Would Megatron be the same person if he were voiced by Fred Tatasciore? Things like this worry me about Shockwave, whom I've only known Corey Burton to voice him. Same with Gregg Berger as Grimlock.

There are exceptions, however. Such as KMR and Patrick(I forget his name) voicing two different Bulkheads that have relatively similar personalities. And then there's Bumblebee and Soundwave who have their own distinct persons without even having a voice, that's just good writing and animation.

11. moreprimeland

News Credits:

That's usally how the ratings and censor folks view this as well...killing a robotic figure in animation is not considered as much as moral dilemma as killing another human.

So while I understand the debate, I do believe it will fall on deaf ears as far as any changes to the human characters and their actions, in this series.

12. WoundSave

News Credits:
    just want to say really good discussion so far for me. I really appreciate that people are voicing opinions and respecting other peoples'.

MAYBE THE PRIME FORUMS CAN BE SAVED!!!!

13. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    The discussion threads are usually sane, just don't pay attention any other threads lol

14. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    I'm just gonna barge into the conversation and say I liked the episode. Not the best, but I liked it.

15. WoundSave

News Credits:
    IDK, oftentime the discussion threads seem to get out of hand too, depends on the episode i guess (coughARMADACOUGHCOUGH). I just really appreciate that people are taking the time to RESPOND, not just say 'this show sucks balls' or "SQUUUEEEE i love Prime" and then both extremes call each other stupids or something.

16. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

In a technical sense, absolutely. In several very pointy ways.

I think, though, in the Episode, the point is the same either way.

F&^%ing WORD.

17. moreprimeland

News Credits:
    Thank you. :) 

Maybe because the forum is overwhelmingly filled with males... who don't like a femme that could kill them or torture them with such pleasure? :lol 

I kid...but by the same token, I'm not likely to start a HATE thread just for kicks. Just not in my programming. :) 
    I'll say my piece about what I don't like, why I don't and move on.

Okay, sorry I misunderstood the point you were making. :)  Just seemed that the femme VA's were being pointed out as a possible problem for folks disliking the female characters.

As for Bulky...do you mean Bill Fagerbakke in TFA??

Yep, I think the writing for the voiceless ones has been pretty good, especially for Soundwave.

18. WoundSave

News Credits:
    yea moreprimeland - im just sratching at the surface of a way deeper societal problem. Like many things- we as people are so engrossed in various tropes and meme that we often have a hard time even recognizing our own behaviour as derititive of those tropes and memes.

just to try to cap that discussion - my friend shared this song on FB today- holy shit havent heard a song on the subject of sexism so beautifully crafted in a long time:

LCDR BLINDSIDE if you see this lsten to this song

Lupe Fiasco - Bitch Bad [Music Video] - YouTube

but yea- back to Hurt- GOOD EPISODE< HIGHFIVES ALL AROUND!

19. DrawerDemon

DrawerDemon DOOOOOM!!

LET IT BE KNOWN:
    On this night, this Transformers forum thread failed to completely dissolve* into pointless bitching, and instead became a discussion on Human-Robot-Morality and Voice Actor-Gender-Equity .
    Well done. Goodnight.

*as of 2:53 EST.

20. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    I love how Megatron was all like "dafuq?"