Episode 34 Nemesis Prime Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Oberoniss, Apr 7, 2012.

1. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am pretty sure that Nemesis is just darker shades of Optimus colors with some weathering to look more menacing. Looking at the base attack after he transforms I can definetely see a blue on his armor, it's just much darker than Optimus blue.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Couple of things: that fight between Optimus and Silas was pathetic. I honestly expected Silas to gloat and bluster and then have Optimus smack him around like the Kung Fu master who gets challenged by the young guy who thinks he's hot shit.

Silas's death was bloody absurd: he could easily be shown diving out of the way but instead they gave us implausible bullshit.

3. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    Yeah, I expected the same thing to happend. I wouldn't consider NP a sentient being so why couldn't he just kick his ass.

4. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    He's a different "apparent" colour at different point in the episodes - the best shots of his colours are when he's fighting Optimus though as you get a direct comparison like for like when they are in the same frames.

5. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Loved the episode overall, but I do agree with others that Silas not having enough time to dive out of the way as NP was about to fall on him was absurd. That being said, how each person reacts to unique stresses can be different; therefore, perhaps he was frozen momentarily in spite of whatever training he would have received during his lifetime to avoid being crushed from falling debris.

And more importantly let's face it. The conceit of Silas sticking in place long enough to get crushed was a story vehicle intended to get him into a robotic body. I'll by it on those grounds, otherwise I would have to call major shenanigans.

6. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I really thought some cool sci-fi accident would ultimately transfer Silas' consciousness into Nemesis Prime's body. Looks like they were saving that for Breakdown instead, which is disappointing. I think Clancy's voice is perfect for Nemesis Prime. I'd really hate for this show to throw Nemesis Prime out there just for the sake of throwing it out there. There's tremendous potential in an evil Optimus.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

My theory is that Silas will be the first Go-Bot.

8. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So the question is (and apologies if this has been asked), will Silas' consciousness be transferred to Breakdown's body and he will simply assume that body as if Breakdown is still running around, or will Breakdown's 'shell' be re-purposed for Silas and he'll possibly be a whole new bot but with Breakdown parts?

Gotta say the Hasbro network/show writers are pretty ingenious with their CGI model reuse this season, but it's also beginning to border on getting old. First it was the reuse of Skyquake as Dreadwing, then bringing back Wheeljack, then reusing Optimus Prime as Nemesis Prime, and now Breakdown as the new Silas (if that's the direction they go). Is Hasbro really so stingy on their budget that we get nothing but friggin repeat bodies on new characters all season?!! I swear... if a new character (and by new I mean new body, new personality, etc.) doesn't show up this season my patience- already ebbing- may officially drain.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Clancy Brown should voice Megatron in the next series after Prime.

10. Kostya

Kostya Destron

News Credits:
    Guys, the government now has Nemesis Prime in custody. That means the people currently pissed at team Prime have a fully functional Cybertronian. I doubt they'd follow up on this but it would certainly be interesting.

11. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

What if Starscream steals Nemesis Prime from the Gov't and takes his T-cog back?

12. TehPaws

TehPaws I have a silly name!

A couple of thoughts on this: For starters, even with eons of experience, has Prime ever shown himself to be a particularly graceful fighter? He always seems to rely on the sheer power of his punches. Silas is hardly inexperienced himself, as well; he stated outright that he has special ops training, and showed that he has years of training in human combat tactics. It's unfair to assume that Prime would simply crush Nemesis Prime when NP is being controlled by someone who also has veteran combat skills, and frankly does little but hold Optimus up to that lofty god-like place that most people seem to wish he would leave. Nemesis Prime had the same power as Optimus, and was being piloted by a human with as much comparative experience as Optimus. I think it would be a generally fair fight; and it was, up until Silas did gloat--fighting Fowler.

As far as the somewhat contrived plot device of Silas being crushed instead of dodging aside, I admit I thought it was a bit absurd at first as well. However, let's face it. Having your own giant robot suddenly come crashing through the roof over your head when you weren't expecting it and were desperately focused on not losing the fight just might be a bit shocking, you know? Shocking enough that even someone with Silas' training might lose himself in a moment of utter shock and befuddlement instead of doing the logical thing and dodging. So yes, it's a contrived plot point, but I think it can be explained away.

Unlike simply doodling in a new character for a bit part in a traditional hand-drawn cartoon, we know full well that the character models for Prime take weeks if not months to design. They have to fulfill every animation frame planned for the series, and take time to perfect. Each character then requires a budget to produce, so CGI shows can often have a limit on the number of characters they can produce and still air the show efficiently. I think considering the number of bit character humans, vehicles, and environments the Prime team has already produced, a little reuse of designs is to be expected. Personally I think reusing Skyquake's model was fairly clever and explains away the common occurance of recolors that have appeared in Transformers since, well, forever.

As far as "reuse" of Breakdown, Wheeljack, and particularly Optimus Prime in this episode, that hardly seems a fair comparison. Did we really expect Wheeljack to never return? It was an unfinished plotline using a character and character model that were frankly underused in the episode they originated in. And being the same character is hardly a "repeat" character model. There can be an overuse of a character model, certainly, but that depends more on the contrivance of how its used than simply choosing to use it at all. One could argue that the endless Vehicons are rehashed characters as well, since there is no individual personality in any of their models; however I at least enjoy them specifically for that character trait (i.e the utter lack of one).

This episode was specifically about fleshing out the loose end that was Breakdown's possible demise and sudden disappearance, as well as the use of a fairly classic character in Nemesis Prime, albeit in a different and I think rather creative way. There could always be the other side of the coin, and the plothole that G1 always well into. We could suffer the "character of the week," where-in a new character model springs up constantly, gets little time to be fleshed out, and fades away into obscurity as the next new one comes along. I feel that so far, Prime does a decent job at balancing new arrivals with continuing to flesh out a core cast. It crafts a better story, is more cost-effective for the CGI team, and keeps Prime from turning into as much of a flavor-of-the-week toy commercial that G1 was.

13. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
  14. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Pretty damn good episode.

The toy car race in the beginning seemed a little out of place, especially with Arcee's part in it. "Primes don't party" doesn't apply there, I guess. Maybe there was betting going on.

I'm one of the few who likes the good storytelling with humans in this show, so the Fowler/Silas smackdown was a treat.

And that ending, dear lord . . . . Silas might as well be dead. His body is probably beyond repair and has to rely on an Autobot Spike scenerio for survival. Either way he's not the same. And I honestly hope Breakdown's mind is completely gone, otherwise that breaks the whole Once-Dead-Stays-Dead rule.

Still, this was an awesome episode.

15. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ?

Optimus Prime wasn't there though.

16. StarryAqua

StarryAqua Former fandom follower

News Credits:
    Figure of speech. I don't see Arcee as the type to get a thrill from toy cars.

17. Una

Una Well-Known Member

I really didn't like this episode. It had some good moments, but I thought the Silas thing was icky.

I mean he would have been dead. A robot weighting a ton landing on a human? Falling down at a fast velocity? Seems unrealisitic to me to believe Silas survived that.

I loved Fowler's scenes though! =D The fight between Silas and Fowler was good, but other than that...meh.

I hope next episode is better.

18. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Well she could be finally being more open with herself and enjoying things again. I mean she does need to ligthen up eveutnlly.

19. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Fights aren't graceful. Also, having Optimus get his butt whooped by a remote controlled robot doesn't bring him down to a non-God like level, it makes him look like an idiot. If Silas had tried that with Megatron, he'd have been eviserated in two moves. This is one of those times where the writers have confused 'Pragmatic fighter' with 'evil character'.

Also, it wouldn't have killed them to let Optimus get angry at the really profane and awful thing Silas has done: he's basically cobbled together a Frankenstien's Monster from spare parts, and committed a violation upon one his people by stealing his organs. This would have been an appropriate dramatic moment for Optimus to lay some deserved smack down.

On a bigger note, exactly what are MECH hoping to achieve anyway? At first they seemed like a pretty bright bunch of guys who want to get their hands on alien tech (no matter how brutal the method) and do something with it. So what did they hope to gain by staging an easily debunked series of attacks on their own government?

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

World domination most likely.