Epic Metal Albums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ionus, May 31, 2014.

1. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

I'm surprised noone has said Fear factory,Digimortal was a good one.Linchpin stays on my MP3 player.

2. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Haha - to each his own, I guess!:D 

I think "Take No Prisoners", "Lucretia" and "Holy Wars" are the best tracks off that album.

3. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'm more of a "Tornado of Souls" guy, but you really can't go wrong with anything from that album. If anything on my list deserves the "classic" title, it would easily be that album!

:thumb  Tolkien's story just fit perfectly with their style. From beginning to end it was amazing. "Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)" is my favorite song from them.

Fear Factory! Geez, I used to listen to them so much in the mid-90's! I can't believe I forgot about them! Personally, I'm a huge fan of their album Obsolete. It was the first time that I heard a band that wasn't in the Power Metal style produce a concept album. Awesome, awesome, awesome album! "Edgecrusher" absolutely kills!

Now that my memory has been jogged, here a few more to add to the list:
    • King Diamond-Abigail
    • Mercyful Fate-Don't Break The Oath
    • Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime
    • Twisted Sister-Stay Hungry
    • W.A.S.P.-The Crimson Idol

4. Lt. Faceless

Lt. Faceless I'm a puppet

Obsolete was what got me starting on them.Edgecrusher is bad ass.Their drummer was a beast.How he still had legs after any show is beyond me.

Edit:And i like how their albums would tell a story.

5. The D

The D Active Member

"Epic Metal" is often considered a sub-genre of its own in the true metal underground, the precise parameters of which are somewhat fluid and variable depending on who ya talk to. In this thread, however, I have seen very few bands/albums that would fall under any sort of "formal" Epic Metal umbrella. It seems people here are using the term "epic" more as a synonym for "awesome" or "fucking amazing" than as a descriptor of this more specific musical/thematic approach.

So, in keeping with that usage of "epic," I'll mention a few metal records that are simply immense masterworks which I utterly adore:

Mercyful Fate - Melissa (1983)
    An early black metal masterpiece and one of the greatest metal records ever made. Adventurous compositions and awesome performances all around; plus an amazing, wicked occult atmosphere that just rolls off this album like a dry ice fog. Metal simply doesn't get much better. (And how awesome is it that King Diamond actually was a bona fide, practicing Satanist?)

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
    Maiden's only real concept album to date, and the final album of their glorious 80s era. While Seventh Son may not contain many of my individual favorite Iron Maiden songs, it nonetheless is, in my opinion, their strongest and most consistent work in terms of full albums. It all comes together beautifully and leaves me feeling fulfilled and energized as few albums can, and always reminds me of what sublime true heavy metal at its best can be.

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith (1984)
    This record is a definitive slab of pure, guitar-driven 80s heavy metal at its best. Solid riffs, searing leads, great interplay... Excellent songwriting, cool lyrics, nice vocal work... fuck yeah! This album conveys such an unmistakable vibe of freedom, power, strength, etc., much of it with a distinctly masculine sexual edge to it. The fact that several of the songs are overtly sex-themed certainly contributes to this impression, but even some of the ones that aren't still feel like they have traces of that overall vibe. Knowing what we know now, it's clear that Halford's closeted homosexuality was fairly bursting at the seams on this disc, and I think that maybe informs its attitude and vigor to a significant extent. It helps make for an album that pulses with a tough, explosive metal energy. Plus, one of my favorite Priest songs of all time, The Sentinel, is found here!

Possessed - Seven Churches (1985)
    A true milestone in the realm of extreme metal. Considered by many to be the first death metal album, Seven Churches is a blistering, frantic Hell-fest from start to finish. There was nothing else quite like this in 1985, and to this day there are very few albums that have been able to match it for sheer unholy viciousness and intensity.

Now, if we're talking about actual, bona fide Epic Metal -- as exemplified by bands such as Manilla Road and Viking-era Bathory -- I would simply say that it doesn't get much better or more epic than the 'Road themselves, often considered to be the godfathers of the genre. Certainly they're one of my favorite bands, in particular their mid-period stretch from Crystal Logic through Mystification. Their music transports me, man. It's not just epic... there's something about it, something magical and timeless, like a voice of truth calling out from across ages, ancient yet with a gripping immediacy. Without the use of choirs, orchestras, synthesizers or gimmicks, they are able to craft metal music that is at once earthy and majestic, badass yet transcendentally epic.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Tornado of Souls is my shit man.

7. TFGrace13

TFGrace13 Tu fui, ego eris.

Insomnium is one of my favorites. All of their albums are amazing.

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

Slayer - seasons in the abyss
    Ministry - psalm 69
    Metallica - master of puppets
    Pantera - vulgar display of power
    Anthrax - state of euphoria
    White Zombie - la sexorcito: devil music vol1
    Megadeth - rust in peace
    Metallica - and justice for all

9. Rung

Rung DESIGNER!!!

News Credits:
    actually i did. but i said all their albums are great. so pick any :) 

10. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire Yamato is go! ;D

11. The D

The D Active Member

As I averred a few posts ago, the participants in this thread are not generally using the term "epic" in the proper way. They are using it simply to mean "really awesome and impressive," or something like that. If the discussion was restricted to legitimate, true Epic Metal, as understood by the die-hard aficionados, I'm certain many ManOwaR albums would have been cited by now.

For my money, Into Glory Ride is probably the best and most epic ManOwaR disc overall, and likely my personal favorite. It has worthy competition, though, from Hail To England... and the song "Bridge of Death" is unquestionably my favorite individual song. Pure epic Satanic majesty, that one. :rock 

12. ArmadaJetfire

Hahahaha this guy gets it! DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!

13. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

I like ManOwar. It's a little hard to take them seriously though. They are summed up by "This is Spinal Tap" pretty well, though I do like them.

If you like real metal than you would love Kalmah. I can put them against any metal band and they are easily just as good if not better. They are completely underrated too. My favorite album by them is Seventh Swamphony or They Will Return.

14. The D

The D Active Member

I've heard this from a lot of metal fans over the years. I don't know if it's their furry loincloth "warrior" outfits from back in the day, or the fact that they're so over-the-top with their lyrics and imagery, or what. But to fully appreciate ManOwaR and what they bring to the metal table, I think it helps to remember that they formed in 1980, and put out their first record in 1982.

Now obviously, by that point there had been plenty of loud, rude, balls-out rock/metal bands making heavy, rough, ass-kicking music. And the whole "warrior" theme had been touched on here and there as well. But I don't know of any other band that really achieved quite the same kind of barbaric, epic, muscular sound that ManOwaR perfected on tracks like "Battle Hymn" and most of Into Glory Ride. The music is raw, stripped down, and balls-out, but it also conveys a great theatrical, melodramatic feeling of triumph and might. It was something bold and different, and to be honest there aren't many bands even to this day that have been able to pull it off as convincingly as ManOwaR did on their first few records.

And I must say, I am legitimately perplexed by metal fans that can accept the exaggerated, face-painted, costumed theatrics of groups like Immortal or Gorgoroth (or even Alice Cooper), yet ManOwaR inspires chuckles. And that's not intended as a criticism of you, Ionus... I mean, if you find it goofy then you find it goofy, whatever. Just saying I honestly don't get it.

15. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    EPIC! That would be Edge of Sanity's "Crimson". One 40 minute track and then "Crimson II".

16. X-Warlock

X-Warlock Extinguished spark.

Wow, I think that not only the existence but life within the thread proves I've been on the wrong damned board for years now...

That said, my most influential metal albums are....

Megadeth - Peace Sells, but who's buying?
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave/Live After Death (this was my first concert ever... I was maybe 7)
    Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
    Carcass - nectroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
    Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
    Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
    In Flames - Colony
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Death - Human

And about 200 more I could list....

17. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

They deserve a high place in the Metal hall of fame. I enjoy their albums (especially Hail to England and Kings of Metal). They are a little comical though but even Iron Maiden was at times (Fear of the Dark, love it but it has a cheese factor)

For the record I personally find much more satisfaction in ManOwaR than I do Alice Cooper, Immortal or Gorgoroth. But I'm not very fond of any of those 3.

I like all of these. Solid picks!

18. ArmadaJetfire

Yeah they are a little "Over the top", but I think that they know what works and thier "look" has become part of what makes them Man O War just as much as thier music. It just wouldnt be the same seeing them in t-shirts and ripped jeans.

19. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

Anyone else a fan of Amorphis? While their newer stuff is more progressive death metal I think it's fantastic and full of interest. Great musicians and song composers.

Not to mention that the vintage "Tales from a Thousand Lakes" is a must have for any metal fan.

20. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Fear Factor's Mechanize
    Iced Earth's Horror Show
    Kamelot's Black Halo
    Both Demons and Wizards albums
    Blind Guardian's Imaginations From the Other Side
    King Diamond's Voodoo
    Symphony X's The Odyssey

I could go on for quite awhile.