Energon Omega Supreme: Stud or dud?

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Movebuster, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Can someone tell me what they think of Energon Omega Supreme (And Omega Sentinel)? I don't have him yet, but I've looked at his pictures and I'm starting to get the impression that his transform sequence seems kind of lame, and the idea of a construction crane having to combine with a battleship a little contrived. What is the use of this? Not only is the battleship and crane only able to turn into a robot when the other is around, but there are severe limitations to movement that would make this difficult, and it's highly unlikely that they would even be deployed on the same missions. Furthermore, that doesn't look like a real crane at all. Am I right?

2. centurian

centurian Recovering Energon Abuser

Not really much different from G1 Omega's train/tank/base and space rocket concept then.

I've never quite understood the logic of putting a tank on a railway line. It kind of limits his battle field effectiveness.

3. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Energon Omega Supreme is a duddy stud.

There are things I REALLY like about this figure: the size, the headmaster, the vehicle modes, most of the robot mode, the halfway decent articulation, most of the molding. But then there's stuff I really DON'T like about this figure: a bizarre placement of the upper thigh joints, a lack of a waist joint, the really stupid looking claw (I wish that they could have given him a Doctor Octopus-style claw), and a very simple transformation.

But, you've also got to realize that all the negatives I listed are also things to increase his saleability to the target audience (kids, remember). My suggestion is to try to find OS for at least half as much as the $50 sticker price. Why? If you already have Unicron and you pay the same $50 for OS, you'll be disappointed. I mean it. OS and Unicron are NOT in the same level as far as quality goes (Unicron is a lot better), but OS is fun in his own way. He's just not worth much more than $30, in my opinion.

4. Movebuster

IN defense of G1 Omega Supreme: That's not a railway line, that's a defensive rampart. I have seen no problem with allowing the tank to leave it, although it's primary purpose is to defend the rocket. thefrozenred: yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks. :redface2: 

5. Movebuster

I just wanted to say also, in defense of Energon Omega Supreme; there could be a place where a battleship and a loading crane would be seen in close proximity, and that's in a port, someplace whith high strategic importance I might add... not to mention that a battleship wouldn't want to turn into a robot anyplace else than near dry land. :) 

6. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Once again, I advocate that he is a good figure at the $25-$30 price point. :) 

Sit on the Junkion Exchange, E-OSs come up every now and then for that price. Try eBay, too. Also try checking Wal-Marts/Targets/TRUs when Cybertron starts hitting full force; I bet they'll mark down the OS to move them out.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I really like E. Omega Supreme. The colors aren't the best, and yes the transformation is just 'fold down legs, connect the two together, but the size of the toy alone is impressive. I really like the head sculpt (nice homage to G1 Omega) and it's just fun to tinker around with. I will suggest you make your decision quick, since Omegas will be disappearing soon and be replaced with Cybertron Supreme Starscreams:) 

8. mag_jr.

mag_jr. <B><font color=red>TFW2005 Article Guy</font></B> Veteran

I'd go along with this. I got him last year when he came out.

His color scheme clashes (I think he'd look better with a more unified color scheme), and his transform is a bit simplistic, but he's a huge amount of fun to play with. He's worth it, especially if you can get him cheap.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got an Omega Sentinel for $22 + shipping. I would not have paid $50 for this toy, and I passed at $40. I would have bought him for $30, but was low on cash, and had gifts to buy for others (my wife would not really want a 18 inch transformer for Christmas). As a $22 toy, I'm very happy with it. His color's are better than O. Supreme's. The transformation is simple, but the modes are fairly enjoyable- I like the rotating guns on the ship, and the action crane feature. The Headmaster figure is a nice touch. As has been already opined, the sculpting is great on this figure, but he's a clear example of Hasbro's 'Transforming skill level' being a bunch of crap. How does he get a '4,' while Slugslinger gets a '2?' He does look good on my shelf, though.

-Tony!
    Might wait on C. Optimus and C. Megatron til a TRU 2 pack comes out, but doubts his willpower will hold.

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's too bad the Omega Sentinel blew through so fast (Galvatron too for that matter). The Sentinel had a MUCH nicer overall color scheme IMO.

11. Tannerbot2000

Tannerbot2000 Well-Known Member

The guy is overpriced, probably because of the size of the mech. However, he is fun as hell. He just screams something in the vein of HULK SMASH!!!. The gun arm lends itself well to ahnilation blast type atacks, while the calw just looks like a beat down arm par excelance. He pulls of the unstopable juggernaut vibe far better than unicron, in my opinion. So 50 bucks is too much, but for 30 he is pretty fun. The combining with prime is fun to, but is more of an afterthought.

12. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I paid full price for both Unicron and Energon OS and I like OS better. Call me crazy, but Unicron just didn't impress me once I took him out of the box a good 1 1/2 after I bought him!

OS has his weak points, as others have pointed out. Looking back $50 was a lot to spend on him, but I was all hyped up about a new Headmaster being released. I really wish though HasTak would've named the HM bot. I also don't care for his feet...both feet won't stand flat on the ground. He's still pretty stable though. I also prefer Omega Sentinel's unified color scheme better and would've bought him instead had I knew he would be released shortly after OSupreme.

If you have the option of getting either of the 2, I'd get OSentinel...for his colors alone. Both big bots have strong G1 influences/homages so you really can't go wrong. Just don't pay too much for him.

13. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

I paid full price, and did so gladly, but I had an ulterior motive. I had G1 Omega, but got him at an age before I realized just how careful you have to be when you transform something that seperates into fifty peices. I'd say 30$ is a decent price for E Omega. The crane does suck, but the battleship looks great. The crane would have been better if they had given it a working whinch.

14. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I said I wouldn't get him, I would wait for Sentinel... well I own them both. I very much love the big guys, infact I perfer them to most of the autobots in the energon line. I would definately rate these guys much higher than the likes of Hotshot, Prowl, or Optimus Prime.

What these guys may lack in some articulation they make up for with their towering presence. I definately recommend these guys.

I only wish they gave him a G1 claw instead of that lobster claw.

15. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I waited and snagged Omega Sentinel on sale at Target ages ago. I'm rather happy with him. Oh sure, he's no great TF, but he's fun, and he's nice.

Had instead of the crane/train vibe, it had been a space construction vehicle, I think it would've worked better.

16. starkaz75

starkaz75 Well-Known Member

I wasn't planning on getting either of them, but after not too long, they were so darned cheap here. I got Supreme for $25 and Sentinal for $15. The Targets around here really hate having those big, shelf hogging toys, and they'd rather get rid of a couple of $50 toys at a loss so they can make room for a bunch of smaller toys that'll add up to a lot more than $50. I'm hoping they'll do the same thing to Cybertron Supreme Starscream.

17. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    He's ... okay?

I don't know. I like Omega Sentinel much better in terms of color, but Omega Supreme ain't too bad. Not worth $50 IMHO.

18. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, the HM bot IS unofficially named, based on the series he's shown in.

If you prefer Superlink:

Omega Supreme is the HM with the body. Combined with Convoy, the bot is named "Omega Convoy." Therefore the HM is named "Supreme."

If you prefer Energon:

Omega Supreme is the HM with the body. Combined with Optimus Prime, the bot is named "Optimus Supreme." Therefore the HM is named "Omega."

Just a neat idea for giving the little bugger a name. :) 

19. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    i htought in the comic the HM was going to be know as Sig Omega?

20. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

By the time OS starting going on sale at my Target, he was long gone by then. Im waiting for Walmart.com to place him on sale for like 25-30 bucks, and then I'll snatch him up. He looks like a really fun fun toy.