End of the road

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ssjkazer, Jun 3, 2020.

?

Are you close to finishing your collection

1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. No

145 vote(s)
    51.2%
  3. Not sure

70 vote(s)
    24.7%
  1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. Still hoping for chug toys of all the late G1 and original G2 characters that haven't gotten a good chug toy yet.
    I also hope to be able to collect the entire BW cast in 3p legends.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And today, strong rumors of Studio Series-style G1.

So I take it all back. I'm not anywhere close to being done. :cry 

• Like Like x 3
  3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Put simply, how 'finished' my collection is depends almost entirely on Hasbro's ability to put out robots I want to buy.

• Like Like x 6
  4. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    My sentiments exactly.

5. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    there's always new stuff coming out that I want. But my rule is, one figure gets sold or given away for every new figure I get. So in the last 5 months I got rid of about 60 figures, so I can get 60 others. Even though I have a sunstreaker, I like how Earthrise Sunstreaker looks instead of CHUG Sunstreaker, so I got rid of CHUG to get Earthrise. Same with Doubledealer and Astrotrain. but I do have a very specific list of figures I want to be made and if they are all made, I could stop collecting FOREVER and feel like my collection is good.

that list is

1) Voyager Rodimus Prime (done in the same way as Earthrise PRime, a voyager Rodimus with a trailer that turns into a battle platform at the leader price)
    2) Voyager Thunderwing
    3) Voyager G2 Jhiaxus
    4) Leader Sized Scorponok (to go with Toyworld Infinitor)
    5) Small Deluxe Beast Wars Aiirazor

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm without a doubt coming to the end of the road.

There's some G1 redone figures I want, which is an ever dwindling list, both US and Japanese "extended":
    • 84/85 bots and cons who haven't been redone
    • Marvel Comic Galvatron
    • Voyager non-gimmick Cyclonus
    • Voyager non-gimmick Rodimus Prime
    • Thunderwing/Black Shadow and Blue Bacchus
    • Deathsaurus, Liokaiser (for real), Star Saber, Victory Leo
    • Grandus, Sky Garry, Galaman/Great Galaman
    There's a few "adopted" characters as well, almost all women I'd like to see
    • Voyager Slipstream and Strika
    • Deluxe Flamewar, Shadow Striker, Lyzack, etc.
    • Voyager Animated Bulkhead but in the WFC aesthetic

I'd be open to some improved BW figures, but show only characters and they have to actually be good.
    In a pipe dream I'd love a last stab line to finish out Animated; Voyager Thundercracker and the coneheads, Omega Supreme and Lugnut Supreme, etc. Since I'm wishing, Marauder Megatron too.

Then that's it. I'd get any figures that strike me as cool or fun - For example, I have no love at all for the movies or the movie aesthetic, yet after watching an early review for it, I pre-ordered and am really pleased with Studio Series Movie 1 Megatron; I have no idea why, there's just something about the transformation, the modes, all of it that really appeals to me somehow. I recently picked up Cyberverse Optimus Prime, it's a character that's almost a non-character in his show, I have no attachment to it, but it's a very dynamic figure with a lot of fun articulation and a solid nostalgic but new transformation.

Even before the pandemic, I was done with hunting. 90+% of my Transformer purchases come from Amazon. Between them, Pulse, and BBTS, I've purchased 3 Netflix WFC figures at Walmart, 2 Cyberverse, and a clearanced Micromaster set while Grocery shopping, and one figure from Walgreens on sale while I was there to get something else this year.

7. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    That's the spirit.

I'm not sure, I'd like to draw things to a close once the last part of WFC is done, but if Hastak went into G1.5/2 I'd be on the hook all over again.

And I'll sit and wait for Takara to finish the BW season 1 cast. One of these decades.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    I voted no. I feel I am pretty close to completing my Transformers collection but I've been here before and something else has come along. 3P and MP started to bore me but then the main line got a bit better with Siege.
    As a G1/Takara robot collector I'm constantly finding out about new stuff I didnt know existed. Not sure how after 35 years, but this hobby is like that sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I switched from mainline to Masterpiece as I felt there would always be a updated (better) version of a character.

Plus I'm a Beast Wars kid so that helped seal the deal.

It felt like this never ending cycle.

Granted a valid argument of a second (Bumblebee) or third (Optimus Prime) G1 version of a character could be made.

10. rikkomba

rikkomba Hunger

I hit a wall with Earthrise - I stopped having fun, and couldn't care less about most of those new toys. I ended up re-buying older releases, where the fun factor was still there. I would say, even Siege was a million times better than Earthrise. For me, the lowest point of the last 35 years, excluding Action Masters.

11. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    Yeah I might be coming to a close soon, which is fine. Lately my family’s been really hitting my head over how stupid collecting TFs is.

12. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've sold off all my TF's except MP G1 and TFPrime and I'll be done with collecting Transformers as soon as I get the rest of the crew from 84/85 checklists (and Superion/Defensor) from Takara or Fanstoys in the next couple of years. I'll never say never on collecting TF's in the future, but I want to be done and I personally can't think of a better collection than MP G1's and my complete TFPrime collection. If they start doing MP TFPrime, I'll be back in the game but I 'doubt that will ever happen.

...but as for the other stuff I collect.....that will go on for quite some time.

13. Huktonfonix

Huktonfonix Well-Known Member

Since my kids are enjoying it now Im definitely still in for Earthrise stuff. After that it will be whatever my OCD makes me get if there are random 84-87 stuff that Earthrise misses. As far as unofficial stuff, Im still waiting to finish XTB menasor, possibly the double evil reissue, and the occasional random cool piece that catches my eye (usually through @Sixo reviews) like the most recent purchase of the STCommander (which is awesome by the way).

14. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

I'm one of those foolish fools that was collecting a bit of everything - MP, CHUG, and Legends. I'm pretty much done with Legends and MP, save for a few random figures yet to drop. I've gotten back into CHUG with Siege and Earthrise - they really hit that level of quality, detail, and size I really like. Plus, old CHUG still fits in with a lot of the newer scale.

I was running out of room. Legends don't take up much space, but I just started loving the scale less and less. MPs were basically just statues collecting dust. Plus, the majority of those, especially 3rd Party, just aren't fun to transform - looking at you, Fans Toys and XTransbots.

I'm loving the CHUG-style third party stuff, though. I've gotten more enjoyment out of my MMC figures than almost any others. I've had more fun adding upgrade kits to official figures than transforming MPs.

I've finally focused my collection more, put a ton into storage, and know what I'm after. I'm sure that will change and I'll be onto another style full-force again, and those storage containers will be ready.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shlockwave

Shlockwave a.k.a Moronmaster

News Credits:
    WfC (Siege, Earthrise and unkown 3rd chapter) will probably be the end for me. I was pretty much done prior, but Hasbro is on point with their current trilogy, in terms of getting characters to resemble what I loved from the 80's cartoon into excellent alt-modes. I made a loose guideline to collect only season 1 characters (with exception of the Stunticons and some Season 3 favs), and I think this trilogy will complete that aspect nicely.

To be honest, I'll be relieved once I'm done. I love TF, and I'll continue to consume the media, but the toys are pricey and sometimes infuriating to track down. Prime example: My Thrilling 30 Jetfire is my mainstay, because I can't find Siege Jetfire for a good price.

16. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm the same... and it's not limited to TFs.

I've always been more about the Robotech/Macross/Shoguns/many others and I would get TFs as a cheaper alternative to the 300$+ figures rom the other series, plus I considered it more fun to have an original take on mechs, so tanks, planes, spaceships were my go-to and very rarely a car would "fit" my "universe".

The last few years have been amazing as it finally brought in figures that had never been done "right", such as the Dinobots, the combiners and many others from the Prime series that pulled me in and made me spend more that I have in many years as so many figures that after so many years had never been remade.

When Siege revealed itself to be a return to the better plastic and amazingly great figures that I either never had, bothered with or such, that I went from the "unique an fun" ad-hoc figure to wanting a proper set of the main original crew. It's the first series that the cars did become a "normal" for me.

That said, as mentioned, my goal is the main G1 original crew and a few others, but after that, it will become a case of Hasbro needing to impress me with a figure as I'll return to the ad-hoc. This is already starting to happen as with Earthrise, I've already skipped a lot of them as they just aren't fitting my level of must-have on those figures.

The trouble is that Hasbro is being so cheap with the plastic with all the gaps, the lack of accessories and the price increases, they are pushing me and I would believe many others towards quitting or just going to cheaper alternatives (KOs that are virtually the same for 1/2 the price or less) or just 3rd parties that offer better figures/value.

So this to say that I will probably never see the end of the road, regardless that I don't have even 1/4 of display space for the whole on my collection that spans over 40 years, but I still love each figure that I've ever bought.

17. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No. Because I'm not collecting to fill a roster, I collect because I like toys.

• Like Like x 7
  18. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    "Drifting" is how I'd describe it. I never really stopped collecting aside from 1991. There's just this "death from a thousand cuts" deal going on the last several years.

19. BlastOff682

BlastOff682 Well-Known Member

I dont think I'll ever be done with my collection given that hasbro is still putting out some awesome toys, but there are some lines I'd like to get some more figures from like RID 2000, Beast wars, G1, little bits of G2 and the rest of the unicron trilogy I missed out on. and maybe if I have the funds, I would like to get ahold of some rare stuff like Victory and super god masterforce. Collecting is what makes me happy and I hope I can continue that for a long time. :) 

20. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Thankfully, I'm close to being finished, but honestly, are any of us ever REALLY finished? If I see something cool, I'll most likely pick it up. I try to live by a collecting rule: If I can't display it, I don't buy it... and I'm running out of space.

I primarily collect MP's and have used 3rd party to fill in holes for bots and cons that Hasbro probably won't get around to producing. If I were unable to buy any more Transformers, I would be content with what I have. I just need a good MP-looking Gears, Cyclonus, Scourge, Astrotrain and Blitzwing and I can call it a collection... maybe.