Encore Car Robots God Fire Convoy (RID Omega Prime)

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by chrisr291, Apr 18, 2018.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, if you haven't seen @Tony_Bacala amazing God Fire Convoy photos, please click here and return later. Hands down, those pictures are high quality and worth your time!

Overall, I have a positive impression of these figures regardless of the issues. The Car Robots line will always have a place in my collection because they're some of the earliest examples of Takara's welcomed and needed return to vehicle based alt modes. Now, please don't take that as a disparaging comment towards Beast Wars because it is my favorite series, but we didn't need more Supreme Cheetors clogging toy shelves.

The early 2000's was a magical time that rejuvenated my interest in Transformers and introduced me to the world of collecting. Basically, I blame Car Robots for every single figure in my home. If Takara skips the line and jumps straight into Armada, I honestly don't know if I would have even bother collecting anything beyond the occasional G1 and BW figure.

Ok, enough talk, what can these figures offer in a world of Masterpiece and 3rd Party figures? Why care when you have Masterpiece Sunstreaker, Toyworld Devastator, or even LG God Ginrai? In my opinion? A LOT and you should care!

Box:

IMG_9843.JPG IMG_1194.JPG IMG_9003.JPG IMG_9438.JPG IMG_9970.JPG IMG_6501.JPG IMG_0441.JPG

It's a giftset!! WWWOOOO!!! You receive two trays, figures, and instructions! The God Sword (Is that right?) is packed behind Prime's tray.

Figures:

Fire Convoy has a subtle but different overall color scheme in comparison to previous releases. The red certainly pops more but the bright whites and darker blue Takara loves using makes it superior in my opinion. If you're familiar with Hasbro's Classics Prowl and Henkei Prowl you know what I'm talking about. Additionally, Convoy is missing many of the Autobot decals Hasbro splashed on him.

IMG_2143.JPG IMG_8559.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_7780.JPG IMG_7261.JPG IMG_2038.JPG IMG_5154.JPG IMG_2572.JPG IMG_1092.JPG

God Magnus is a great figure by itself. It doesn't suffer power-up robot limits like Victory Leo or God Bomber who were not made to stand alone; Magnus is a figure you can enjoy without having Convoy (but who wants that? C'mon man!). Similar to Convoy, you have brighter whites, darker blues, and fewer logos.

IMG_2681.JPG IMG_4838.JPG IMG_5318.JPG IMG_6535.JPG

God Fire Convoy

Nothing has changed over the years, it's big, menacing and has a ton of detail. Check out God Fire Convoy's wrist! That level of detail isn't something we see often....

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0268.JPG IMG_2464.JPG IMG_8112.JPG

Size

For those curious about God Fire Convoy's size, check the picture below. If you have anyone specific in mind, let me know!

IMG_6982.JPG

Issues

I have the normal issues: warped Convoy feet, excess plastic, and random ugly molding issues. Nothing that detracts from the figure significantly but it's something you'll notice. The biggest complaint I have is Magnus' backpack, the screw threading is gone so the piece is loose. Thankfully, Toy Dojo is sending a replacement cab!

IMG_8549.JPG IMG_3415.JPG

Purchase?

I don't regret my purchase and I'd highly recommend buying one soon if it's on your radar. With the Takara recalls and issues, I don't know if retailers will have replacement parts six months to a year down the road. However, it wouldn't surprise me if it becomes a Black Friday blowout item later this year. The ball is in your court.

Upgrades?

For the Shapeways and 3rd Party upgrade crowd! If anyone can make articulated hands for God Fire Convoy or even a sword plug adapter, I'd appreciate it! Let me know what you need and I'll help!
    IMG_7118.JPG

Parting words

Maybe it's nostalgia but this set hits me hard! We all have certain figures we would only sell under dire circumstances and this is it for me. What does this set offer in a world of better figures? It's unique, memorable, and something that hasn't been replicated in retail form.

Later and enjoy the Car Robots intro if you haven't heard it in years.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I hope TakaraTomy tries another run of this someday. These two are great Transformer toys, it'd be nice to have more of a chance to own them.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got Magnus and Prime in box from a member on these boards. My collection will always have a place for this guy in super mode. Its quite a majestic sight all combined and flashin chrome and gold.

Sometimes figures just dont age well. this is the opposite. Besides broken tires, and hunting down replacements on ebay, All I can say about this one is its damn near perfect. There is so much doing on with these two. I love the fire truck, and magnus car hauler is very impressive. Bot modes are very nice, and all the options you have with prime and the weapons are amazing. Then you combine them for a truly baddass super mode.

Great review!! This set looks very nice.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I still can't believe nobody makes replacement tires for these guys. We have a huge 3rd party and aftermarket accessories market, and nobody makes parts to repair broken figures?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Tony_Bacala

Tony_Bacala Car Robots Professional Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pretty much agreed on all fronts! I had the feet issue. And I forgot to mention in my mini review that the Fire Convoy hand holes - the top are too small to insert Magnus' thumb peg for the GFC hand combination. If you rotate the FC hands upside down tho, it works. I can't remember if that was how the original was or not and have since basement-tubbed the 2000 one.

Other issues, I don't think I had.

It's a great set even with issues, and is now my primary display piece of these 2 for the Car Robots shelves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice review. As always with these two, I like Optimus, disappointed with Magnus. Combined mode looks imposing and cool but hard to pose and have fun with.

7. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is true..as a toy, its hard to imagine actually playing with the combined mode..but as shelf presence..its kinda hard to beat it the light hits it right.

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I still love RID Magnus as a figure. I even like him more than Optimus.

I would love to get this set if I ever see it for a decent price. I have tremendous love and nostalgia for these two. Looking at pictures online before I got them, being enthralled with the detail and size of the vehicle modes. Love it.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, don't agree with you on "Legs for days" Magnus, but this set was what got me back to buying toys. I wouldn't say I was ready to become a "collector" yet since I was still fairly broke, but I spent the money to get these two. This new release of these still sort of irks me with its price. People can defend it, and if they want to spend their money on, more power to them, but if I needed a set, I would just go with an older set for half the price.

10. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    I don't care if he's got huge legs, the dude looks imposing as hell, has a truly badass vehicle mode, and despite being basically a bunch of armour parts for another toy, is fully posable and has the same high quality sculpt and paint job as anyone else from the line. They didn't cut any corners despite the fact that he really just exists to be an upgrade for anther toy. Compared to later Prime Power Mushrooms, he feels the most like a standalone figure.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Fallout

Fallout crack pipes needles pcp and fast cars

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    right? i'd pay good money to replace rubber parts on a ton of figures. i know rubber doesn't always age bad but between the 01 releases of these guys and G1 shockwave's hoses, i'm paranoid as hell about it.

it's too bad UM partsforms, that kills an otherwise really fun looking transformation. still think the mold would fit IDW roller really well. huge in both modes, intimidating proportions, the head design isn't too far off and his alt mode is for transport. plus ultra magnus had a vendetta against optimus, and while roller doesn't know about optimus in IDW the UW comic had him pretty pissed off over feeling abandoned, so...

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Poseable? He has joints... but his balance just ain't there. I can barely get him to stand. Not sure what you mean by "Prime Powered Mushrooms." Anyways, you can like him all you want, I just don't agree.

13. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I highly recommended purchasing a liquid chrome pen to color the ugly spur marks.

Attached Files:

14. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Characters that act as Power-ups for Optimus.

On the topic of the set, how's the balance of Omega Prime?

15. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Man, the colors are sharp on these guys!
    I’ve got a deep love for the RiD toyline, the original mold figures hold up remarkably well.

16. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s really good! I’ll upload pics tonight .

100% agree!

17. chrisr291

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, I can’t balance GFC on one leg and you can’t move the upper body too far left or right without falling. However, in combined mode, I don’t feel like it’ll fall down.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I have the RID 2001 versions of these guys. Love them. I hope to see more RID reissues. Especially the trainbots. And Brave Max would be a nice reissue too. Gigatron as well.

And damn, is Omega Prime a gorgeous figure. This reissue seems to greatly improve the colors as well. Love it.

I'll trade all the generations and masterpiece figures for more reissues like this anyday.

19. Superhans

Superhans TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would love to find this affordably - $250 is not that. I would also say that other than the Beast Wars figures, this is hands down my most wanted Masterpiece design (or Id take it as part of WFC).

20. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    We’re the QC issues ever amended with a rerelease?