Encore 19 Big Mission set vol. 3 -- plastic quality?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by yvk2000, Jul 22, 2013.

1. yvk2000

yvk2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so I've searched across the forums (and the net) and I can't seem to find a proper discussion and comparison of this encore set and the G1 originals. I've had a bit of experience with cassette reissues myself:

- the SDCC Soundwave set: I found the plastic slightly subpar on ratbat; not too sure on Ravage since I sold off the set very quickly.
    - the SDCC Blaster set: Ramhorn was of notable inferior plastic quality and the color was too light. Steeljaw was inferior to the Takara book reissue one (which was generally acknowledged as being identical to the original). Eject was really cool with the tampoed autobot logo but again cheaper quality plastic.

I am a bit picky to be honest but the plastic quality is a clear issue if you ask me. So hopefully someone can give some insight into this final of the three encore cassette sets. Thanks in advance!

2. Cool Hand Lube

Cool Hand Lube Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Whichever Encore set came with Steeljaw:

Steeljaw was two-tone yellow, and his lower half looked like it was made out of lemon Starburst.

3. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never got the first set of Encore tapes, but I have these two sets:

1. Overkill, Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy
    2. Ramhorn, Slugfest, Steeljaw, Ratbat

I also have official G1 versions of all of the figures, which I can compare them to. The plastic quality on every single one of them is inferior to the original G1s.

The best of them are: Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Ratbat
    These are all terrible: Overkill, Ramhorn, Slugfest, Steeljaw

The good ones are worth the price, if you ask me. They may be a little less quality than G1, but it is hardly noticeable. Rumble and Frenzy are excellent, and look really good with the tampoed decals.

I don't even display the bad ones. I just took some of their weapons, and shoved them back in the box. They feel brittle. I think they weigh less too.

4. Michel_Beckers

Michel_Beckers Well-Known Member

i got all the encore tapes, but i dont have anyting to compare them with.
    but the quality is great! i transformed them a couple of times, and they are just sweet!

5. yvk2000

News Credits:
    Yeah, that was...absurd (same thing with the SDCC Blaster one).

Thanks for the feedback. So for anyone concerned with plastic quality: plain economics would lead to only one logical purchase: vol. 3. Even then, considering a lot of people already have Laserbeak through an older Soundwave reissue, the value of this set remains contested.

6. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    if you are that concerned with the plastic, just get the originals and save yourself the headache, it's not like the cassettes in the big mission sets are expensive to find originals of, unlike the combiner teams

7. yvk2000

News Credits:
    I'm not sure how this contributes to this thread. There is no 'headache' in this equation.

Besides, the decision whether to get a reissue does not depend solely on difficulty in obtaining a vintage as many a reissue collector can attest to.

8. lazerface

News Credits:
    No problem. I definitely recommend the set that comes with Laserbeak, Rumble and Frenzy. It was hard for me to find originals of those that met my condition standards. I am satisfied with the reissues. I'm even thinking about buying an extra one.

The other set is good if you really like Ratbat. A G1 Ratbat can be tricky to find in good condition, but if you are patient, you can get one for less than the ~$70 you'd spend on this whole set.

9. lazerface

News Credits:
    I really don't mean to knock those Encore cassettes too much, because I am sure a lot of people would like them. I hope my comments don't keep anyone that already has them from enjoying them.

I am admittedly a little on the OCD side, and a lot of stuff that bothers me would go unnoticed by most.

10. Michel_Beckers

Michel_Beckers Well-Known Member

oh no i didnt thought you did.
    im just saying, that the encore quallity is great!
    i just wanted to give you some info on them.