Enamel and Acrylics

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by wolverenz, Aug 24, 2010.

1. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Can I use Enamel & Acrylic paint on one figure? Because my local hobby shop don't have stock on testors enamel, only tamiya acrylics are available. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• tam.jpg
      tam.jpg
      File size:
      2.9 KB
      Views:
    • alu.jpg
      alu.jpg
      File size:
      2.7 KB
      Views:
  2. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i believe you can. just put acrylics on top of the enamels but make sure they're completely dry first.

3. returnofplex

returnofplex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For the most part it depends on how glossy one is compared to another. If you have a gloss enamel down, acrylic probably wont stick too well. if it's a flat finish, then it just has to be totally dry. Enamel however, will stick to almost anything. One note though, for the softer plastic(rubbery) parts, use enamel at your own risk. Those rubbery parts have a reaction to many types of enamels, and the net result is a permanent tackiness that never dries.

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You can definitley use both paints together but it is VERY important that you allow each kind of paint to thoroughly dry first before adding the other kind of paint.

If you go enamel - it has to dry (I usually go several days before adding acrylics). If you go acrylic, do the same to be on the safe side before adding enamel.

* Personally though, I would go something like 95% enamel and 5% acrylic and absolutely no acrylic on potential rub spots.

5. JAnGoThaKing

JAnGoThaKing Wrecker

you CAN´T brush acrylics on enamels. the paint will burst. and you can`t spray clear coats on enamels ---> same result

you can only brush enamel on acrylics

6. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thanks guys! Maybe I'll just wait for the shop to have some new stocks on Testors enamel, but if they took so long to have it, coz its just a small hobby shop here I'll go with Acrylic tamiya, but I'm gonna wait for the enamel to completely dry.

7. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thanks again dude! Maybe I'll just use first the enamel coz I already bought a steel & aluminum testors enamel. Can't wait to get this done!

8. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I've done both of those things and nothing happened.

9. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have also used acrylic on enamel and visa-versa, and like VaderPrime said, nothing happened and my customs are going on a few months now (like 8 months) and they are just as good now as they were when I brushed on their final layer of paint way back.

I think it has to do with both quality of paint maybe...and most definitely drying time. Paint must cure in order to have 'durable' finishes.

10. Sparkplug2517

Sparkplug2517 Member

You guys are really need to think about what your saying. I work at a body shop and I say just base and clear the stuff useing an air brush and clearing it with a mini jet gun but remember it's all in the prep to get the paint to "stick". Enamel and Acrylics suck!!! Too thick and too hazardous for your health!!

11. elbosenasoles

elbosenasoles Doobie doobie doo

I used both on a leader Brawl I did about a year and a half ago. I typically stick with acrylics, but my local hobby store didn't have the shade of green I was looking for in acrylic so I opted for enamel instead.....the result was perfectly fine, and I'm sure you can see a pic of my brawl here if you do a little digging. Personally, after working with the enamel, I hated it and try to stick with acrylics whenever possible. I find enamels to be very thick and sticky (sticky even after drying) and just not overly easy to paint figures with (I've ruined two brushes from enamels). That's my feeling though, from what I've read here, there are Radicon's that only use enamels (though I haven't seen any mention of this is awhile?). You'll be fine using both. I did Brawl's base in an enamel green. I used all acryilcs over that......a wash with flat black to darken the base color and dry brushing with metallics to give him a weathered look as well as other detailing. I had no issues at all. Just do like the above peeps mentioned and make sure you let the paint dry before applying another layer.

12. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info man!

13. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    Thanks! I think I'm gonna try it first on my trash toys here so I can see it for myself what's gonna happen. Thanks for the info to all u guys!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    General kitbashing and other art-related topics belong in Creative General Discussion, so here we are!