Employment Agencies are frustrating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shaun_C, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

This is the cliff notes version of a conversation I had with a staffing firm

This was the most frustrating conversation ever.

Sounds like I'm pretty much SOL with them :redface2:  And honestly I've been registered with thme since April 2004 and have NEVER recieved a call from them. Not even some helpful suggestions to aid me in my career search

Hopefully some of the other staffing firms I'm registered with will bear better fruit in my search. /vent

*Edit*

I don't expect them to do the work for me, but honestly they must get dozens of job orders a day.It's not unrealistic to think that AT LEAST a few of them would be a fit for me.And I'm (IMO of course) pretty marketable

Anyway wish me luck today.

I've got an interview for an Assistant Manager position with a Clothing store here in Winnipeg this evening at 4:30pm. And a meeting with another staffing firm (Which specializes in Office Work) on Wednesday at 1pm

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sometimes, you just gotta go get that job yourself. You can't always depend on a staffing firm.

Don't you cook? Do they even handle restaurants?

3. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    Yes. staffing firms are evil. Some are better than others tho.

Sigh. They tease me. They talk about jobs and say how they think you're a really good fit, then the company doesn't even interview you. ARG!

No, i'm not bitter.

4. TOM

TOM From one hood to Yours

Ebay:
    Maybe they don't like you cause you're black. :sly: 

5. Darth Megatron

Darth Megatron Don't tell Lucas!

When I first finished university I went to a hiring agency. What a mistake that was. The bitch sent me on so many crappy interviews, with the worst jobs. Its like she didn't even listen to what I wanted. Never, never again.

Good luck to you on your interview :thumbs2: 

6. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

:rolleyes: 

Why bother with staffing firms?

You've got two feet, walk into places and fill out the applications yourself. Read the ads in the paper, send in your apps/resume yourself. Don't pay some people to do the same thing for you.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah staffing firms are teh sux...Sorry to hear of your woes man.

I wish you the best of luck, but you are a good guy, very polite and personable I am sure good things will come your way in due time.

8. TSFC

TSFC Banned

Staffing Services are a joke really. Be happy you're not dealing with Kelly Services. (What a ripoff...)

They never found me any work outside of factories (which is fine in general.) Here are the problems with that:
    1.) I can't work the toolshops (no prior experience)
    2.) The other factories I've already worked at. (I quit them because they kept laying off for weeks on end, and I got tired of passing good jobs by to keep the factory work. Which promised higher wages and more hours. Now any job is gone in this neck of the woods, and the factories won't take people back who quit because they think they're not dependable.)
    3.) They offered me jobs that were 35-50 miles away. (Here's the problem with that: I've got to work to have gas money, but I've got to have the gas to get to work first so I can make the wage to pay for the gas to continue the work. I had neither the gas, or the funds to pay for it. Thus the need for the work, it's a rather big DUH moment.)
    4.) When I looked for employment outside of them, and then lost that job requiring unemployment...they nearly trainwrecked it by saying I didn't try to find employment through them. I had to find paperwork proving I tried. The state basically laughed in their face about it. Got the first check the following week.

I tried other employment options like them and got the same thing. I asked why and they said "Well we're an industrial region. Whether it be oil and petroleum, or tool shops, or factories, it's our main thing here. You could go fast food, or retail but those are all taken up. So this is all we can offer. Deal with it. Also, if you try and find employment with anyone we work with outside of us, because we have dealings with them, we're entitled to at least 25% of each pay check to reimburse us for lost wages because you cut out the middle man."

All the factory jobs around here are taken. All the retail and fastfood is taken by students and factory workers who need to make ends meet because their hours got cut, or workloads were ended (I kid you not!) The unemployment rate in this town and county is among the worst in the country. Even Welfare can't help people find work with their programs. (they sent letters to the public receiving assistance that they couldn't take their benefits due to the economy problems, and even recommended that relocation might help!)

So after Kelly Services, and the other temps wanting a cut of my check if I didn't go through them somehow....I just said screw it.

Just don't have the patience for this. I'm moving out of my town to a better location asap. I can't take this crap anymore. Just can't. Good luck man, I hope you find something good, and not through them.

Oh just cut the shit.

9. Shaun_C

Never crossed my mind Tom.Besides the firm's only seen my resume which doesn't state my ethnicity

Pay?!?!

Don't know how those firms work in the states.But in Canada it's a free service to the job seeker. The allure of staffing firms is that they tend to know about jobs that DON'T get advertised in the paper or internet job sites.

Secondly I do send my resumes myself.I simply use the firms as an extra set of eyes

Unemployment caught me off guard BADLY!!!. After nearly 2 years of solid work I thought my job was secure.I had no reason to assume I was on the chopping block :redface2: 

10. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    If they are government funded, that is your problem right there. I think here, most employeement agencies take a small cut from your pay until you are hired outright from your employer. I could be wrong though.

The questions are, where are you applying, and what does your resume look like?

First the resume. A poorly structured resume will be thrown in the trash without them really even looking at it. Have a few people look at it and take their advice. If your resume is a bit skimpy, add acomplishments through schooling, or other activities. Make sure to play up your skills, no matter how silly it may sound. It is also important to change your resume slightly to reflect the position that you are applying for. Move your skills that pertain most to the job to the top, and the others below.
    For example: if you were applying for a advertising coordinator position, you would list programs like Quark, Photoshop, etc. at the top, and word, excel, outlook, lower. However, if you were applying for an administrative assistant position, you should probably flip those around.

Also, even in this day and age, a faxed resume is better. A hard copy can be sent to the apropriate staff to look at it. Whereas an electronic copy can be overlooked, especially when their email boxes are flooded.

Second. Look for a lateral move for now. You worked at Micky D's, so look into other restaurants, and other service industries. If your work history doesn't reflect the area that you are looking into, employers may not want to take a chance on you. The key is to always try and learn as much as you can at your place of employement, so you can pad those skills and impress future employers. Like right now, I have stumbled upon Visual Basic, because a coworker who did all of our programing quit. You better believe that is going on my resume the next time I update it. I went from not knowing a lick about website design, to programing in VB in 6 years just by taking initiative and filling in where needed. And I didn't pay for a dime in schooling.

11. Shaun_C

Preaching to the choir Funk,preaching to the choir :) 

Have been doing just that ;) 

I just hope I bear fruit soon is all I care about.

Hopefully my meeting with Today's Staffing on Wednesday will yield positive results