Empathy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For fuck's sake, don't make an appointment to see a therapist or counselor. Generalized feelings of...I don't know, of being connected to others (especially at the age of 17) aren't evidence of anxiety or mood disorders. They're evidence of being 17. The...what do you call it? That phrase for the fallacy common in teenagers where they think they're involved or connected or significant when they're none of those things.

You start seeing a shrink, that's what'll give you a mental disorder. And for what it's worth, of the folks giving advice in this thread, I'm the only one who's actually a healthcare provider.

2. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Well thank you Bryan, you seem to be the only rational person here.

3. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

QFT.

4. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"Personal fable" is what I was trying to remember.

Personal fable - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a neat concept, where like kids think they're unique and important. When in reality, almost no one is a beautiful snowflake. I am, though.

Empathic is also used colloquially to describe a psychic ability to feel (and control) other's emotions. I don't believe it's real, but the term is.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    notice that word. being. singular. as in being tuned in. Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda are the only 2 empaths who felt the pain of many. In the real world, i don't think any one person can do that.
    you can be sympathetic to the masses. but not feel the masses.

i was a healthcare provider (medic) that dealt with Altered Mental Status cases, and i don't think the OP needs a shrink. the advice i can give based on little to no background is that he could try some other methods of relieving the stress and dread. Journal keeping, more socializing, volunteer work, etc.

if the feelings persist to the point where in the happiest of places/situations you want to take a nap in a crypt instead of laugh, perhaps you need a bit of professional help.

but like i said, don't rush to therapy until you try other things.

6. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    This is correct, everybody has empathy, usually a high degree of it, it's what stops us being absolute arseholes to each other all the time. There are exceptions like your occasional psychopath tho.

I feel the term is probably being used in the way that describes the fictional ability to tune directly into other people's minds and be an Empath like Forrest Whitaker in that bollocks film, whatever it was, can't remember.

That doesn't exist.

+1 million internets

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Can't really relate. I only feel like that with the people I'm around.

8. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    That use of the word empathy is still wrong, no matter how many people think it means a psychich ability, people should look the definition of things before employing terms to situations in which they don't apply.

Oh for God's sake! REALLY?!

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Whenever I think that I'm having a soulful, empathic, out-of-body experience, I turn to this song and the sad, sad story of Sarah Jane for solace.

Usually it's just gas.