Emerald City S1 |OT| A Game of OZ

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by hellrasinbrasin, Nov 23, 2016.

1. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

2. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

No.

3. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Balance

...But...It's...The Wizard of Oz doesn't need to be so...Grim...

I just got done reading Marvel's adaptations of the books. I've been thoroughly convinced that no one will ever make a good film or television adaptation of this story, and this isn't proving me wrong. Will the 1939 film really be the only good adaptation to Oz's name?

4. Jochimus

Jochimus Sandwiches? Blimey, whatever did I give the wife?

Short answer: yes. Six decades' worth of television and cable broadcasts, mountains of movie-related merchandise and pop-culture reference after pop-culture reference have seen to that.

I realize it's an injustice to that entire world that Baum created, but it is what it is. The movie's almost 80 years old, and for all the attempts that HAVE been made, that's still a damn tall shadow to overcome. Hell, even Disney has tried twice, and THEY - DISNEY of all companies - couldn't make a dent (ironic, considering it was the success of a Disney movie, "Snow White", that compelled MGM to tackle Oz in the first place). Still, "Oz the Great & Powerful" turned a profit with only a mixed critical reception - which is more than can be said when it was released than for the MGM film back in 1939, which audiences loved but which also struggled for years afterward to make its money back, and critics were just as divided then as now - so maybe there's a speck of light at the end of tunnel, long though it still is.

I still think right NOW the only shot there is at seeing a version of Oz that's actually more faithful to the book than MGM's would probably require a dip into Weirdsville, though, because it would probably require Mr. Tim "The Book Is ALWAYS Better, Unless It's A Comic Book 'Cause I Don't Read Those!" Burton to do it. Stop-motion optional, but keep Depp's saggy @$$ away from it...the man's box office poison now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
  6. Rodimus74

Rodimus74 Well-Known Member

I'll give it a watch since Tarsem is directing it.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Interesting. A new take on Oz can be fun, even if all the subtext is gone.

*Watches Trailer*

Pass.

Megapass.

Where's the brain bleach?

8. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I love the part with the shoehorned ramance. Completely missing the entire point of the Oz series.