Elite Eight, Round 2: Shockwave vs Grimlock

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Longitudinalwave, May 4, 2021.

?

Who Wins?

Poll closed May 7, 2021.
  1. Shockwave

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. Grimlock

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

Chicago Championship
    Seed #1 Shockwave vs Seed #2 Grimlock

Shockwave defeats Machtackle (14-5), Skydive (14-2), and Laster (14-7)
    Grimlock defeats Goryu (16-4), Killbison (9-5), and Kup (17-10)
    TFMM-ShockwaveSm.png TFMM-VsSm2 (2).png TFMM-Grimlock.png

Shockwave
    Allegiance:
    Decepticon
    Function: Military Operations Commander

"Clarity of thought before rashness of action."

Profile: Of all the Decepticons, Shockwave's method of operation is most characterized by the cold, brutal efficiency one would expect of a purely mechanical being. He enters every battle not with the bloodlust of his comrades, but with a scientist's approach to solving a problem. The problem is always the same: How can he use his abilities to most effectively eliminate the greatest number of his enemies, the Autobots? All too often he finds the answer. He seeks Megatron's position of supremacy over the Decepticons not because his ego demands it, but because his logic-circuits dictate it. He feels Megatron's all-consuming passion for conquest only hinders its achievement. With smug certainty Shockwave believes the reins of Decepticon power will inevitably be his - after all, he reasons, it's only logical.

Abilities: Among the Decepticons, Shockwave's power is second only to Megatron's. His total command of the electromagnetic spectrum allows him, in his ray-gun mode, to emit a coruscating beam of energy in a wide variety of forms: high-energy explosive gamma rays, x-rays that allow him to see through almost anything, blinding visible light, super-hot infrared rays and radio waves that can either send messages or jam other radio signals are but a few of the weapons in Shockwave's arsenal. Never having been adapted by the Ark to an Earthly form, Shockwave remains a size consistent with his robot mode when he transforms to a ray-gun, that is, more than 35 feet long. He can fly in either mode using powerful jet thrusters in his boots (which become the handle in his ray-gun mode).

Weaknesses: Shockwave's wave-emission power, as well as his flying, is limited by his high fuel consumption. Although he uses the same type of liquid fuel as his fellow Transformers, he can also use radioactive fuels in the small nuclear reactor within his torso, which substantially eliminates his liquid fuel dependency problem. Although his logical brain center is usually an advantage, more intuitive and emotional thinking processes often confound him, particularly when his adversary is human.

Grimlock
    Allegiance: Autobot
    Sub-Group: Dinobot
    Function: Dinobot Commander

"Among the winners, there is no room for the weak."

Profile: The most fearsome and powerful of the Dinobots, Grimlock would gladly usurp Optimus Prime's role as Autobot Commander if he thought he could get away with it. For now, he's happy to tear into the enemy Decepticons whenever he can and wait for a more opportune moment to try for the leadership. He can be cold and merciless, and shows contempt for those he views as weak, such as humans and even some fellow Autobots. But he is a valiant warrior and his actions command respect from all who are witness to them, both friend and foe.

Abilities: Grimlock's strength is second only to Optimus Prime's, and even that is arguable. In Dinobot mode he can use his powerful jaws to snap in two virtually anything that comes between them - from a 4-foot diameter steel cable to a Decepticon leg. In Autobot mode he wields an energo-sword, which can slice a 2-foot thick concrete wall with one sweep of its crackling blade. He also uses a double-barrelled, self-propelled rocket launcher.

Weaknesses: Other than arrogance and lack of speed, Grimlock has no significant weaknesses.

Tech Specs
    Strength: Shockwave 9 Grimlock 10
    Intelligence: Shockwave 10 Grimlock 7
    Speed: Shockwave 7 Grimlock 3
    Endurance: Shockwave 7 Grimlock 10
    Courage: Shockwave 9 Grimlock 10
    Firepower: Shockwave 9 Grimlock 8
    Skill: Shockwave 9 Grimolock 10

How about this dream match-up?

• Like Like x 3
  2. mn_128875

mn_128875 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That’s a tough match but I think that shockwave would be the logical choice.

• Like Like x 2
  3. saberconvoy

saberconvoy Drifting around

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Is this before or after Grimlock ate shockwave's hand?

• Like Like x 2
  4. feenetron

feenetron Fan Art Enjoyer

Twitter:
    .... Actually in my universe Grimlock captured Shockwave at Awakening of Galvatron. So I chose Grimlock. Sorry Shocky.

Also Grimlock:
    Boromir 04052021201344.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. feenetron

feenetron Fan Art Enjoyer

Twitter:
    Or we can just watch (and play) Grimlock vs Shockwave at Transformers: Fall of Cybertron.

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Shockwave. In the Marvel Comics, it took all the Dinos to fight El Shocko, and he still kept going until Snarl made the mountain collapse when the Dinos were already trapped. (Plus, the Dinos had to be reactivated by Ratchet, Shocky reactivated himself before them).

• Like Like x 6
  7. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

And when Slag recounts the story he tells Rachet that Shockwave was just toying with them. People who never read the Marvel comics don't give Shockwave the respect he deserves. That's just in my opinion of course.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TheUltimateBum

I agree. That's why the Marvel version is still the definitive version of the character for me. He was more than just a mad scientist or a lickbooting toady of a watchman. He was a no-nonsense, logic-driven manipulator with the strength to match. Plus, he still is my favorite 'con leader.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. Shockwave can be an utter beast, and Grimlock is just no match for him.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grimlock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JSpaced10

JSpaced10 Not Predacon: PREDAKING!

Twitter:
    Oof, no respect for the king at the moment!
    Gridlock was a favourite as a kid because he was so goofy and fun. (I never read the comics as a kid)

In most of his incarnations there’s been a sense of that wild barbarian underneath.

Fall of Cybertron’s spotlight missions as Grimlock are hilarious fun too!

• Like Like x 1
  12. B3k

B3k Well-Known Member

Well it says Shockwave is second only to Megatron, Megatron feared Grimlock and the dinobots so you know logically.

• Like Like x 2
  13. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    While Shockwave is analyzing the situation, Grimlock runs up and bites his head off. "Me Grimlock say you stupid. You ugly too!"

• Like Like x 3
  14. TheUltimateBum

[​IMG]

Shockwave don't fear nobody.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shady boi

Shady boi Banned

Ebay:
    This happened Shockwave shit on all of them

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stryker729

Stryker729 That’s rough, buddy

This should be a tight battle. Shockwave and Grimlock are each other’s antithesis. I tossed my vote in for Grimmy, since he’s a better choice on the battlefield in a 1v1 matchup. However, Shockwave has plenty of other talents that probably aren’t best utilized in this scenario to compensate.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Longitudinalwave

This is a very, very, VERY close fight. However, I think I will give the battle to Shockwave, for two reasons. First, in most of the canonical fights between the two of them, Shockwave tends to have a slight upper hand. Second, the environment works against Grimlock. Chicago has a lot of obstacles that would impede a giant metal T. Rex, or a giant metal robot, but wouldn't pose a significant problem to a flying opponent like Shockwave. Grimlock will certainly not go down easily. He is an incredibly skilled, incredibly aggressive fighter. However, I think that the environment, combined with the fact that Shockwave is probably familiar with Grimlock and how he fights, will give Shockwave a significant enough advantage that he will be the victor of a long, brutal, and very close fight. If the battle had taken place in a less restrictive environment, I might have given the battle to the Dinobot.

It's too bad, really, because a Deathsaurus vs Grimlock fight would've been awesome.

• Like Like x 4
  18. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

But also, there's one additional trick that could help Grimlock incase it isn't enough. Even though pulling a "Grimlock's New Brain" card might still not be enough. If that was the case it would sorta give a Sonic Adventure 2 Tails VS Eggman vibe with this long, drawn out battle...

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Longitudinalwave

With a score of 17-13, the winner is Shockwave!

• Like Like x 3