Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ComicGuy89, Dec 11, 2010.

1. RustyBarnacles

RustyBarnacles Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bow and arrow, light armor...werewolf...

2. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

Stealth bow and arrow. Combat dual one handed swords. Use shouts depending on situation.

3. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Bow and Sword Dual wielding with Ebony armour. Will mainly use the bow as long ranged stealth kills but will use the swords if I get spotted. There’s just something funny about killing enemies and they can’t see you.

My best Shout is Fire Breath empowered by Paarthurnax.

4. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I thought I was screwed because I didn't give anything to that guy to smuggle into the Thalmor Embassy for me, but eventually I did make it out. Maybe they nerf it after you are stuck in there for several days.

I've been playing handheld on Switch lately and it's reminded me of one of my only real complaints about the system - the screen has too much contrast and loses detail in darker areas. I pretty much have to use a torch to be able to see anything in a lot of the caves and dungeons. I don't have the same issue playing docked, and my TV isn't set up super bright or anything.

5. ShinGi

ShinGi Well-Known Member

6. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Just got done retrieving the Elder Scroll from Blackreach.

I've read quite a bit of hate towards Blackreach. I, for one, think it's AWESOME. It's so creepy, and different, and HUGE. I see that big orange ball off in the distance, hanging over the lost dwemer city, and I just want to explore. This is my second time through the game and Blackreach is still great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    I’ve probably played this game a dozen or so times all the way through, and I still find Blackreach. I do what I need to, kill the dragon, get the red plants, and get the elder scroll and never come back.

8. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    So I have read that you can keep leveling forever if you want to, but what level do folks consider to be about as high as you need to go? Right now I am at Level 41 and in general find most enemies etc. to be pretty easy to beat, and rarely die anymore.

9. Roger Semerad

Roger Semerad Well-Known Member

Around level 40 is where I always start to feel overpowered too. Assuming your playing unmodded, you don't really need to level at all beyond that, but I usually hit around level 60 eventually just playing the game the way I like to. I think the highest enemy minimum level in the game is level 20 ( I've only glaced at the game details on the wiki, but I think that's right ). Which means after that every enemy is scaling to your level anyway. Bandits I think stop scaling around level 30, and every enemy in the game stops leveling at level 50 except a few named bosses. There is a small bit of content that only unlocks at level 80 so that's as high as anyone would ever really need ( don't worry about finding that content, it finds you ). I've found that after level 40 it's important to start nerfing myself to keep the game interesting. Don't raise your displayed armor above 300 ( or 200 for a bit of a challenge without being unfair ), stop smithing up your weapons ( or stop using damage increasing enchantments ), don't stack too many health increasing enchantments ( one is really enough ) instead focusing on quality of life enchantments like carry weight, stamina regen, decreased shout cooldown and so forth. It'll take some real trial and error to hit the right difficulty for you, but it's worth it once you find it. You could also increase the difficulty. That works for most builds, but it destroys Destruction spells. Unlike the other combat skills, Destruction doesn't have enchantments that increase damage, or smithing. Just one difficulty level makes destruction underpowered, two and it's useless.

Old post but since I'm posting anyway I'll post my build. It took me three playthroughs to really nail it. I use one-handed and destruction, restoration, and alteration. I dual wield my magic until the enemy closes in, then bring out my weapon and unequip my magic. Even though I could use a shield I don't, I like being able to quickly equip a healing spell in that off hand and I don't need extra damage reduction from the shield. It also looks more fighter-magey to not use a shield. I use light armor without putting any perks in it, that allows me to use smithing without getting overpowered and frees up points for other stuff. When an enemy starts doing huge damage ( like an elder, or legendary dragon ) I use the alteration armor spells to give me a bit of a boost. I put a magicka absorbing enchantment on my weapon, which means I almost always have enough magicka to heal when I need it, using fus, or fus-roh, to get a little space if things start looking ugly.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably start nerfing myself as you suggest. I've mostly been using archery + sneak lately, and I find with buffed ring, necklace, gauntlets, and helmet, and the 3x damage sneak shot perk, and a legendary Dwarven bow that I can kill almost anything other than dragons in 3 shots max.

Increasing difficulty is a good idea. I'm still not using any magic other than Healing, and the occasional Bound Weapon. Don't use Destruction spells at all.

I also don't use a shield, and basically never block. Usually I'm two handed for melee combat.

11. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Wanting to get my sister the Legendary edition of Skyrim, but it doesn't seem to be on Steam anymore. Anyone know of a way to get it for PC nowadays?

12. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

You can still find the original version on steam, it is still available. You just need to find a direct link. You can no longer search for it. Plus, it's no longer ever on sale. Buy all the DLC with it, and that will get you the Legendary Edition.

WHERE TO FIND ORIGINAL SKYRIM AND DLC PAGES :: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim General Discussions

Edit:

You can still buy it on Humble Bundle too:

The Humble Store: Great games. Fantastic prices. Support charity.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  13. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Ok sorry but I don’t know much about PC game distribution. Why would Steam not make it searchable?

14. power3921

power3921 Well-Known Member

Believe it's because the Special Edition version is out now. Steam sometimes gets rid of games when newer versions come out. Did it with Duke Nukem atomic edition when the 20th anniversary edition came out

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Yea, they also did it with Bioshock 1 and 2 as well.

I suspect it has less to do with Steam itself, but the publishers not wanting the old versions to compete with the new versions. But, they still want to be able to sell the old DLC from Skyrim for those who haven't picked the old DLC up yet.

I can still visit the page where the DLC is sold via the DLC link at with the Skyrim game page. With that said, it would have costed me $45 to buy the LE version. And it costed me only $20 for the SE version (It was on sale.)

But, the LE version is has a ton more mod support. Mod support that the SE will never catch up to. So, I completely understand why it is there.

You can also buy the DVD LE version on Amazon, I think too.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    I am going to be picking up the special edition for my xbox 1 next month. Just when I thought I was out it pulled me back in. My own damn fault for looking at some youtube videos of it.

17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Which Special Edition? They are getting out of hand

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    :lolol 

19. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    99% of the time I'm a stealth archer. I'll go straight to Riften to complete the Thieve's Guild questline to get that Nightingale armor. But in my most recent playthough I decided to do a complete 180 and go for mage. I was mainly using magic and shouts (one-handed sword in more heated battles, still with a spell in my off hand). I should really fire that character back up again, it's been a few months since I played.

20. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    welp It's official I have skyrim again and I have to say it looks loads better on Xbox 1 then on either of the previous consoles I have played it on