Editing Age of Extinction

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thank you! I find it funny too, I may add it back... but what I think is even funnier is just before that when they're running down the hall and he shouts "Hi kids!"

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubt you can, but when I watch the spanish dub the score is completely different in the final battle between Prime and Lockdown for whatever reason. It lasts from the moment Lockdown jumps from his ship to meet Prime and ends right as Tessa, Shane, and Bumblebee arrive to help Cade and Optimus.

3. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think you might be right. AoE had a good premise and was mostly just a mess because it was bloated. TLK was a crazy mishmash of what seemed like five different movies smooshed into one. You'd have to basically take out half the movie, decide on one or two storylines that were the best ones, and reshoot render and reedit a way more focused story and I'm guessing that's beyond @Shadow25 's capabilities :D 

Honestly, I think dotm would benefit from an edit more than TLK would. It's a really good movie that is still really bloated. I showed my dad the movie (he has no interest in transformers) but I skipped a lot of the superfluous stuff like Malkovich's character and some of the unnecessary human stuff, as well as the 5 different intros the movie has (I prefer it having a brief scene with the men on the moon, then going directly to Chernobyl) and he loved it.

PS: I agree with every single edit you seem to have made based on your updated list and I'd love to see your version of the film!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    I think there's only so much you can do with these edits, because these films are fundamentally flawed at their core. Even with all these edits would we have a better film? Maybe, but not a good film.

• Like Like x 3
  5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? You didn't want to keep in that Bay made him somewhat racist towards the Chinese?

He not only seemed really hateful towards the old Chinese ladies, but when Shane is backing up, he tells him to be careful, before just going: "You know what? Just run em' over!"

6. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Oh jeez so many cringey moments that I'd completely forgotten about :oops: 

• Like Like x 1
  7. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    I don't think it was supposed to be racist. Those people could have been any other race and he'd still say the same lines. He was panicked and in a hurry. Yelling and being rude just fits his over the top character. Cringey maybe, but not racist

• Like Like x 11
  8. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah I agree. Not racist, but isn’t really an awesome moment and the film could definitely do without it.

9. Honorbound

Honorbound Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That was pretty much my read on it as well. Joyce wasn't a racist, because he was an asshole to everybody, from the archaeologist whose dig got shut down to the alien warrior whose men got melted down for scrap.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Conversely, I think the moment immediately before, where he is screaming "OUT OF THE WAY" followed by a quick "hi kids!" is hilarious.

Joyce is a great character. I'm bummed they didn't fit him into TLK, but maybe that's a good thing because he could have been handled terribly like everything else in that movie.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I genuinely don't even remember most of these moments until people in this thread mention them :lol  I'm gonna go ahead and trust your idea of what's worth keeping and what isn't.

12. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Well-Known Member

We'd have an alright film - maybe not MCU-good or Jurassic Park-good, but alright. Cut a lot of the unnecessary faff out of AOE and you have a solid film.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    AoE is a movie that would have been made better if the followup had been solid. TLK really fucked both films, IMO. AoE was all setup, then TLK was just more setup! After all that about the "creators" we see ONE metal woman who claims to be a god and we don't hear anything else about it, the dinobots are still a complete waste even though they doubled-down on the knight thing, guys like drift and crosshairs and hound, despite being around all the time, don't actually DO anything, human Transformer technology is never mentioned again, then suddenly we're talking about knights and staffs and fucking UNICRON and we barely even get more than a tease of all THAT stuff!

Someone should really write a fan-version of TLK that's completely different. AoE, and the fanbase in general, deserves it. But this new cut of AoE is still really exciting to me! AoE can probably be enjoyed on its own TBH. Like a weird stand-alone film that gives you a glimpse into a continuation that could have been. So much great stuff in there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    Weird, Joyce being rude were some of my favorite parts in the movie.
    Yeah, I love AOE but TLK really hurt the movie because it undid everything that AOE did. And It ruined Mark Wahlberg's character. (Who I actually like.)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Not to mention it ruined Sam too. I'm sooo tired of the "random person who gets swept up in scifi story turns out to have been the chosen one the whole time" thing. It's so fucking lazy. Sam already had a really clever and interesting tie to the transformers through his ancestor, why the fuck did they need some throwaway line about Witwicans? And why couldn't Cade have been an inventor who got swept up in alien stuff and proven himself to be worthy of the Sword of Bullshit on his own merit instead of LITERALLY BEING THE LAST KNIGHT or whatever.

Terrible. Just terrible.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I agree with everything you just said.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Girl Pants

Girl Pants Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can drastically improve AOE and TLK by making them into separate films. Both movie really feel crushed under the weight of using 2-4 scripts mashed together without room to properly breathe or develop.

AOE: Lockdown and AOE: KSI/Galvaton
    TLK: Izabella and TLK: Cade

(mostly joking here, but it's also kinda true)

• Like Like x 1
  18. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer Cognitive ability of a rock

News Credits:
    Sometimes I forget the terrible choices that Tlk made and then feel disappointed all over again when I'm reminded. Somehow managed to make Sam even less likeable as a character after not even being in the series for nearly a decade. And Cade was the most likeable main character the series ever had in Aoe, but Tlk decided to dump what made him interesting in the trash and turn his character traits down to zero so they could turn the "prophesied hero" bs up to 11

No you're absolutely correct. Tlk is more like 3 movies though. Izabella and Cade in America are two separate movies, and then Europe is a 3rd movie all on its own. Aoe should have gotten it's its own sequel with just Cade hiding out and being hunted with his Autobots, and then Izabella gets a spin-off of her hiding out with Squeeks and maybe meet a couple Bots along the way. And then in a third movie they meet each other and head to Europe to face Quintessa and finish that trilogy. Then Unicron is teased as the big bad for the third trilogy

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Why joking? You're totally right. AoE at least will work with the edits, hopefully. TLK is waaaaay too many movies in one. I'd say it's more like 4 or 5 movies.

Anyway, trying to stay on topic a bit more and stay positive: What is everyone's favorite scene from aoe? Mine is probably when Lockdown shows up and captures Optimus.

Also @Shadow25 are you planning on doing any edits to the final battle with Lockdown? I find it to be very choppy in some parts, especially when bee AND the two other humans show up, and it's constantly cutting back and forth between them. Seems really tough to do so I would understand if you wanted to leave it alone.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Unfortunately I can't really do anything about the final battle. Way beyond my scope. The only way to really do something about it is with an experienced sound editor working with a 5.1 or higher mix. And you'd still only have access to the footage presented on screen. I'm literally just chopping up the existing movie.

Anyway I'm wrapping this up and should have it out this week. Making some final edits today and then it may take about a day to render.