Minor/Repaint: Ectotron with Fully Articulated Hands

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Snaku, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Finally got Ectotron recently and I immediately set about modifying him. I designed and 3d printed adapters for KFC MP Sideswipe fully articulated hands, and I painted up the Proton Pack and Slimer.

EctotronUnedited.jpg
    EctotronRear.jpg
    EctotronStrut.jpg

And then I had a little fun in Photoshop.

EctotronFixed.jpg

[Edit] Realized I forgot I left the glass layer invisible and I had the beam's blend mode wrong. Fixed and re-uploaded.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 35
  2. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic! We need more ectotron love!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! Honestly I didn't really care that much about whether his fingers were articulated but I wanted him to have wrist swivel. And it's easier to create adapters for MP hands (which are already the perfect size) than to chop up and modify his existing hands, so I just went ahead and did it. Other than the hands, the lack of paint on the proton pack and Slimer were my only disappointments with the figure (well, he could use some fillers for his forearms and knees - maybe I'll do those someday). I guess I'd also have preferred if his goggles were removable so you could see his eyes more than just the tiny slits he has. Maybe I'll try to make him a new head someday too, if I ever get around to getting a resin printer.

• Like Like x 4
  4. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Those hands look great. Better than mine! The dance pose made me smile!

• Like Like x 1
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that looks bad ass man. i have been on the fence about getting this bot. but the hands and the pics definitely will push me over the edge.

• Like Like x 1
  6. fawnheart2000

fawnheart2000 Autobot

I would love a new head for this guy. wish someone would make one available on Shapeways.

• Like Like x 2
  7. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Love what you've done. His dance pose is great, made me chuckle. Slimer looks great with paint applied.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks everybody! Glad to hear you like it.

I love your mod and it's a big part of why I wanted so badly to get this figure! Unfortunately I didn't have any spare Alternator hands and the only Alternator I was willing to sacrifice, Ravage, had the wrong color, so I had to actually buy a set of MP hands for a little over half of what I spent on the entire figure :confused: 

You won't regret it. He's an amazing little figure. Just wish they'd given him wrist articulation out of the box.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a resin printer sometime this year. If I do, I think I'll take a crack at a new head. I don't like dealing with Shapeways because their prices are insane but, once I've succeeded in printing it myself, I could upload it to Shapeways for anybody interested.

Thanks! Pose was inspired by @OptimusTimelord and I only wish I had his talent for stop motion.

[​IMG]

Must've been a lot of work cutting the Ghostbusters from the background in all those frames. Now I want to track down the cartoon and watch it again.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    This mod is great! Can it still transform with the new hands attached?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes it can. They stick down from the front about a millimeter further than the original but there's still plenty of room.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fenrys

News Credits:
    That's awesome, definitely helps sell this figure more as mp scale. You planning on offering the adapter on shapeways or anything like that?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could but the wrist pegs are extremely thin and delicate. I had to model them with an open channel so I could insert some tiny nails I have laying around for reinforcement (one of them still broke but the nail is solidly attached so the wrist peg just turns on the nail rather than the hand turning on the wrist peg). I don't know the size or where to get them (no idea where I got them; they've been floating around in the bottom of my toolbag for a decade or so) and I had to cut them down to length: all of that could make it difficult for anybody to follow in my footsteps. I used a torch to heat the nails when I inserted them and then used a soldering iron to push them the rest of the way in so the connection is nice and tight.

Anyway, I could remove the nail channels and upload them to Shapeways but I'd worry that they'll break extremely easily. Or I could upload them as is but then people would have to source their own nails with no real guidelines on what nails to buy.

The other thing to keep in mind for anybody who wants to try this is that his forearms don't come apart. I removed the screws but that didn't seem to accomplish anything - pretty sure they're glued. I was only able to remove his old hands and install the new ones by stressing the hell out of the plastic. I still need to try taking a heat gun to them to get them to go back to the way they were.

13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    ah that sucks. still this is a great mod you've done

• Like Like x 1
  14. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    That animation is awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    Fantastic! The hands look like they grew there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. I might look into making a version that's more usable for others. Shapeways' material is quite a bit sturdier than what comes off my printer so it's possible that it would be tough enough without reinforcement and their sizing is more precise so it could be done without requiring sanding to get it to fit, but I don't want to pay for test prints and I wouldn't want to ask anybody else to buy them without knowing they're going to work.

There's still the matter of installing them, though. I hated how much I had to flex the plastic (there are some pretty bad stress marks now) and I don't know that I'd recommend others do it as well. I included notches in the back of the wrist adapter so that I wouldn't have to pry his arm open as much to get them in but you still have to get the original ones out.

It is. If you haven't seen OptimusTimelord's other work, I highly recommend it.

Thanks! I don't think it'd stand up to closer scrutiny (it really benefits from being all black so the defects don't show as well on camera) but I'm pretty happy with the results.

17. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Oh my god, those are perfect! Excellent work!

• Like Like x 1
  18. HunterRose

HunterRose Well-Known Member

I'm sorry this mod caused so much "stress" but the end result looks great.

19. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

Any way of getting the file to print the adapters for ourselves?

20. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sure. I'll find the files and upload to Thingiverse later but I must reiterate that I do not recommend this mod: I had to stress the hell out of the forearm plastic and could have easily broken them in the process, and the 3d printed material is not very sturdy - I had to reinforce them with small nails and one of them still snapped off (so the wrist peg and hand rotate around the reinforcing nail instead of the hand rotating around the peg). If I had this to do over again knowing what I know now, I probably wouldn't do it.

• Like Like x 1