Minor/Repaint: Echotransformer Builds the Geewun Cast outa HotWheels

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Jan 1, 2023.

1. jametron

jametron Take a good plane and shave off all the edges…

News Credits:
    These are all really awesome!! I especially love the creativity of the Insecticons!

• Like Like x 1
  2. splurkles

splurkles Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I would love to get my hands on one of these... are they available on shapeways? How much?

• Like Like x 1
  3. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Sorry, I have no idea where to find the link to copy it. I'm using chrome as my mobile browser but the link is not displayed at the top. Just search DINOSAUR TRUCK and it comes up. There is also a Triceratops in green or purple.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lunatic Prime

Lunatic Prime Former Prime and light piping fetishist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • Like Like x 7
  5. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I actually states "you can poop out your eaten cars". I would guess the KO doesn't have electronics and the design may have been modified. The tail on the KO looked like it touched the floor. The Matchbox design needs a piece of track to touch the floor. I could be wrong.
    1000001601.jpg
    Sorry about taking over @echotransformer matchbox project with this item

• Like Like x 1
  6. AJthecybermon64

AJthecybermon64 Autobot maintenance and wellbeing officer

Seems like we have Similar ideas on what to do for trypticon

7. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Oh thanks so much! Credit also goes to the great ideas of the members in this thread.

I have a Sunstreaker/Sideswipe set for sale here: Echotransformers parts and stuff for sale - check for updates

If you have access to a 3D printer, here it is on CULTS: Vents for Lamborghini "Super Mode"

LMK if that works...otherwise yes can post on Shapeways as well if that helps.

That thing is a riot. Not sure if I'll use it if/when I get to Season 3 but thanks for the links and ideas.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Speelshare

Speelshare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Omigosh! This is incredible! I mainly collect 1/64 diecasts of Transformers so this thread feels like home.

9. echotransformer

Thanks, and welcome to the thread! Do you have a link to your collection?

SKYWARP and THUNDERCRACKER

Ok I don't have a large number of WIP pics of these guys, largely because they were a cookie-cutter operation now that Starscream was done, however, I do have a few things to share so I'll get right to it.

[​IMG]

Here's the black coat on Skywarp. For some reason the paint kept flashing...later, I learned to prime these model kits before painting. Regardless, you can see just how delightfully simple these kits are!

[​IMG]

The mask lines are..um...pure evil. You can see I can get some of them pretty crisp, but others I need to 'chase' with a very light scraping (usually with a wooden toothpick) or even a sharpie. It's the organic shape of the F-15...in this case I do wish they were separate parts. Oh well.

On the right is a raw print of the landing gear with 3mm stand compatibility. Note that I still needed to paint the 'feet'...I used a bit of purple paint applied by hand (don't have a picture of it though)

[​IMG]

And here he is all finished. Once again vinyl for the wing stripes. That's a Tamiya clear orange over top of a clear canopy painted silver on the underside. I chose the purple based on a good match between the paint and the vinyl.

[​IMG]

Thundercracker WIP. Again, note the masking issues...I cleaned this up and added paint for the feet (again, forgot to take enough pictures).

[​IMG]

Something worth a brief mention here are the nullrays. I used the same underlying CAD from the Combiner Wars Seekers, but carefully scaled and changed proportions (they are a tiny bit stubbier) to make them sit nicely under the wings. I was shocked how well these printed given their diminutive size.

[​IMG]

And here's Thundercracker all finished up. Same final steps as Skywarp RE Vinyl, cockpit, etc. Note the print quality on those nullrays...woo hoo!

[​IMG]

As mentioned, I did this project in parallel with the Combiner Wars seekers, mostly to share paint. It turned out to be a lot of work, especially doing all 3 Combiner Wars seekers due to the very high part count. But it is very rewarding to have them all complete. This is a preview of the trio! Feel free to check out that thread for Starscream's development: Minor/Repaint: - Echotransformer tries to build a complete Combiner Wars cartoon cast!

[​IMG]

And here's that simple group shot.

------NEXT UP------

1. I should probably show how the Reflectons ended up
    2. Then S1 Decepticon groupshots
    3. Probably should get back to some Autobots, lots more characters to share!

• Like Like x 22
  10. TranstechTerrorcon

TranstechTerrorcon Professional idiot

Damn thats amazing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    We need to see a pic of the nullrays in your fingers to truly grasp how tiny they are and how impressive the prints are. :D 

• Like Like x 3
  12. AJthecybermon64

They look great

• Like Like x 1
  13. Speelshare

Speelshare Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Yes! It has expanded since but here are a few:

IG TW FB Speelshare G1 cars.jpg

Little short of it:
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ItgE2VbfMJI

I'm very active looking for 1/64 diecasts and my collection comprises of many brands: HW, MBX, Tomica / Tomica Limited Vintage Neo, Tarmac Works, Kyosho, CM's, XCarToys.
    The HW Optimus truck is a custom done for me as I have none of those skills lol
    I'm looking forward to the official HW truck in Track Fleet line (not RLC exclusive) and will be getting a HW 1980 Steering Rig for someone to custom as another truck.

This thread is so cool. I love seeing your progress and look forward to seeing a diorama shot!

• Like Like x 9
  14. echotransformer

Thanks so much!

Ah yes indeed, thanks...

Thanks so much!

I LOVE what you're doing here...very inspirational. In fact, I've already made a couple Binaltech customs based on what you're doing here, I'll share them soon. Fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  15. echotransformer

REFLECTOR

Ok, it's time finally share Reflector, when we last took a look at them a couple months ago, I had done digital mockups based on a Hot Wheels casting that resembles a Suzuki Carry, a popular mini cargo vehicle from the '80s.

So the thing I noticed about the casting is the chin spoiler was a little aggressive, so I started doing some shaving to see if I could make it look a little closer to the Carry. I figured it might be cool to have Viewfinder have a bit of a chinspoiler because of the little lens on the front, so I left a bit more material on him. Any way, I basically used a power sander to do this, here's the WIP:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As with most of the customs I do, it's required to sand off the tampographs so it doesn't read through the paint and you get enough adhesion. I also used primer on all the parts. What I wasn't so sure about was the color, and how I would get it.

[​IMG]

I decided to simply do a custom mix...I brought in a couple of figures for reference...there's some blue, purple and metallic in there. Here you can see me starting to apply it. Although there is some glooping there I always smooth it out as best I can. This paint actually went on quite nicely.

[​IMG]

The green needed a custom match as well. You can see it ended up a bit thinner...but after a few coats it came up really nice and smooth.

[​IMG]

Here's Viewfinder's 3D printed part...very small step (0.1mm) and it turned out pretty nice. Sorry the picture's a bit blurry...after I did the test fit I painted it silver.

[​IMG]

I painted each casting purple and green, then turned to the chassis to apply yet another custom color match...the silvery-blue. The Chassis were chrome and needed black as well. A few coats needed here as well. Lots of clear-coat on top. Compared to the other projects this was quite a bit of painting, probably one of the trickier ones to get right with lots of coats and lots of patience.

[​IMG]

Oh and as usual, I masked off the lights and the HW Logo so they could be revelead once complete! I found some of those little rubbery/silicone energon cubes for them to carry.

[​IMG]

BUT...after all that...I wasn't happy. There...was...just...something...missing. It's like they were too similar...not functional enough. The cubes were just kinda balanced there and fell out easily....plus, the cubes belonged in the my collection. Hmm...what to do what to do....

[​IMG]

Earlier in the thread we talked about one of them carrying a camera, so I Googled "80's camera: and sure enough this Fujinon came up...PERFECT! I started to model it (and some other bits) in CAD.

[​IMG]

And after another round of prints, paint, and patience....here's what I arrived at. Viewfinder and Spectro now have a special 'extended' bed that carries either Energon cubes or the super 80's Fujinon camera. The parts are interchangable. Spyglass has a special glass carrier (like a glass truck) which also can be exchanged with the others. Now they finally felt like a 'set of workers' as opposed to 'just a bunch of cubes on the back that easily fall out'. Much better, IMHO.

[​IMG]

Viewfinder can now spy on enemies with 5000x zoom and gigapixel image density. The camera is on a ball joint so it spins and tilts to target the area of interest.

[​IMG]

Spectro is just a grunt that carries the energon cubes around. They are 3D printed cubes with iridescent film on them....very shiny!

[​IMG]

Spyglass transports special energon panels that are basically 'shapeshifting building materials'...useful for anything from spacebridges to underwater bases. They are very fragile in their energon state so they must be handled with care. Once again an iridescent film covers a simple 3D print.

That's all for now, everyone...Decepticon Season 1 / 1.5 group shots next....THEN...back to some Autobots (yes still lots more to share).

• Like Like x 25
  16. TranstechTerrorcon

TranstechTerrorcon Professional idiot

I love the little differences each one has, Great job!
    BTW have you done a blitzwing yet?

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Four books into DUNE. Help

That is perfect for reflector.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Zoo

Zoo Yuh Mein

Ebay:
    Curious, any plans to do the rid01 or tfp guys? I remember you saying you had no interest in bay guys (and looks like Mattel has you geat there lol)

• Like Like x 1
  19. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

More fantastic work at such a small scale, that tiny TV studio camera is great!

• Like Like x 1
  20. AJthecybermon64

They look sick, 10 out of 10

• Like Like x 1