Minor/Repaint: Echotransformer Builds the Geewun Cast outa HotWheels

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Man, these just get better and better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He's gonna need a third one when it comes time for Skylynx.

• Like Like x 1
  3. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

SHAMELESS PLUG:

Ok, before I get to some replies I wanted to mention that I'm actually !!!selling some of my custom Hot Wheels, as I'm trying raise some cash!!!. Details here in case you're interested:

Echotransformers parts and stuff for sale - check for updates

Here's a peek:

[​IMG]

Yes, actually I am leaning towards trying to S3 (including Skylynx) but indeed I need a Blastoff. I_might_do a smaller Blastoff so he can fit atop Onslaught. So still some thinking to do there.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

• Like Like x 17
  4. Josephimus Prime 14

Josephimus Prime 14 Member Of Freaking Army Of Primes,Knights Of Iacon

thats-why-hes-the-goat-the-goat.gif

• Like Like x 4
  5. TrashBotJones

TrashBotJones Well-Known Member

If you ever get around to doing Perceptor I think having him be some kind of treaded exploration vehicle like his RTS figure would be cool, maybe he could even have some kind of 3d-printed microscope attachment?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also I think this was already suggested at some point but this thing is way too much of an obvious choice for Gnaw for me not to bring up
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  6. echotransformer

ASTROTRAIN: The story about the Train mode

So I have always planned to make both modes for each triple changer, and Astrotrain was no exception. There were really good suggestions here in this thread to use a HotWheels casting as the donor, but I couldn't help but want to try an N-scale train. The problem is, I had no idea how expensive they were...a working engine fetches some $200-$300. So yeah it IS possible to get a full on JNR Class D51 in the N-scale...for, you know, the cost of a couple MPs.

Around X-mas time, we visit a town that has a little train store, so I asked at the front desk...I said I'd take a 'non-working beater'. I LOVE this store...so many memories, so when the guy came back with this donor for $25, and I was over the moon:

[​IMG]

You can see that the train body is pretty much the same size as the shuttle fuselage. Perfect pairing, for these two IMHO. Sure...it's not a Hot Wheels so I'm breaking some rules but I just couldn't resist!

[​IMG]

It was very oily and dusty so I took some water an baking soda to clean it up. Inside the engine was mind-blowing...the detail, including the little arms that operate the piston-powered wheels was like nothing I've ever seen. This was actually made in Germany.

[​IMG]

Here I am taking it apart. Yay, flathead screws (sarchasm). I'm fairly certain the engine/wheels didn't belong with the train body because the wheels looked a bit short (perhaps someone was trying to customize this years ago?) so I went to work thinking about to add a set of wheels...best off all this matches the number of large wheels on Astrotrain's JNR D51.

[​IMG]

That wheel is 3D printed! It actually wasn't easy, as I was apporaching the limits of my nozzle, and I had to tweak the geometry twice to get the slicer to properly join the hub and the spokes. But given how small it is, I'm pretty impressed my old Ender 3 Pro pulled this off.

[​IMG]

The other 3D printed part at the bottom captures the back axle AND provides a snap so I can add one more smaller axle. The wheels are actually brass! Amazing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here it is reassembled with the new axle setup. Note that I had to carve a bit of the chassis away to accomodate the new wheels--unfortunately they are a bit wider track than the first 3 wheels...probably the biggest 'issue' with this design as that wouldn't work in real life. Oh well. I used this black paint to touch up any components that could be seen when the cover was installed.

OMG--check out that tiny little light bulb at the front...absolutely amazing.

[​IMG]

Back to the train body...you can see here I am referencing the G1...I printed the bulge and the steam chimney. The little horizontal bit in the front of the chimney is actually a toothpick as it was 'just right' in terms of diameter. I also added those panels near the front of the train, again to better approximate the JNR Class D51.

[​IMG]

Here's the train body all primed up.

[​IMG]

For the paint, I simply used the same purple paint I had mixed up for the Astrotrain Shuttle mode. You can see here's the very first thin coat going on...it took a few coats to get a nice, rich, even finish.

[​IMG]

I also needed to print a couple more parts...the grey part middle left is actually a support so the body better fits. The blacked out chassis is done, and you can see that I applied purple inside the wheels. Chrome pen for the 3D printed wheels. I printed up the engine part as well...3 boosters each a separate part and chromed! Another important detail is the yellow inside the cab...I trimmed out the back window so both sides match (it was broken when I bought it) plus it better shows the yellow!

[​IMG]

Wheels installed! You can also better see some of the details added to the train body.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished! Note the boosters at the back.

[​IMG]

TRANSFORM!!!!

----Coming soon---

Ok, I'm going to finish up the S1 Deceptions...

We'll revisit Shockwave and Soundwave, then Megatron.

• Like Like x 33
  7. echotransformer

Thanks I really like these suggestions!

• Like Like x 4
  8. Drakuatron

Drakuatron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Can't help but feel that other window was left out for a reason...

• Like Like x 1
  9. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Oh dang! Well done! The train mode is awesome! I'm biased though as I was big into trains when I was a kid, Nscale specifically. I still actually have all of the cars and engine. I recently picked up a BTTF Delorean 3 pack that's N scaled. It came with the part 3 train version. It's in the WIP stage but I'm moding it with Nscale wheels so it'll ride on N tracks.

Anyway, how bout that Astrotrain? :lol  How awesome that you were able to score a retired model. As usual I dig your additional printed parts. Cool transforming pic at the end there.

I'll be honest, though. I don't look forward to the pics of it next to other out of scale alts. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Josephimus Prime 14

thpm2aww2ig11.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Josephimus Prime 14

The name of the company for the train that you used for Astrotrain is called Minitrix

• Like Like x 2
  12. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The shuttle and train are far and away my favorites of all the pieces you've done. They are just flat out gorgeous! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story of the train and I even got a little excited when you scored that train for $25.

• Like Like x 1
  13. echotransformer

Yes maybe it has something to do with engineer leaning out the window? It was so hard to tell if it was broken or meant to be that way...any way both sides are symmetrical now. ;) 

Great to hear about the BTTF set...would LOVE to see it when it's done. I have some Micro Machines train tracks I might try at some point, if it works I'll take pics. Yeah, Astrotrain looks pretty silly next to the regular cars, but at some point I could take pics with those Nano rides (or pics of the cars next to MPs)

Thanks for that info!!!

Thanks so much!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Josephimus Prime 14

No Problem! :D 

15. echotransformer

SHOCKWAVE 2.0 - Old One Eye returns

So my first version of Shockwave didn't really 'click' with me so I wanted to go back and try something else. @DeathsTreads77 had suggested an anti-aircraft tank early in the thread...indeed, tanks are great alternatives to hand-held guns.

Ok, over to the sketchpad...

[​IMG]

Ok...a very rough sketch...but you can see here that I am breaking my rule of a 'real world alt mode from the 80s'. OP's perogative! The story is this: Megatron brought Shockwave to earth on an assignment to repair the space bridge. One of the required parts was at a military base, so Shockwave needed to scan a new vehicle to be able to disguise himself. During the scanning process, the Autobots attacked and the scan was interrupted, resulting in this creepy looking tank!

[​IMG]

Because I had drawn this by hand, it was pretty straightforward to create in CAD.

[​IMG]

I also thought it would be cool to have accessories that gave him a blaster and range finder as an homage to his original alternate mode. I also planned some of the colorway in CAD which helped speed things up a bit.

[​IMG]

You can see how the parts break down here...there are actually wheels hidden under the treads so he rolls, then the treads and tread covers attach. Note the slightly sloppy print quality...my nozzle was on it's way out!

[​IMG]

Here are the two modes...you can see I still a need a bit more sanding and cleanup, but hopefully it shows the design.

[​IMG]

With a bit more sanding I was able to get a pretty good surface quality. I custom-matched two colors of paint...one for the purple and one for the pink. Both are metallics.

[​IMG]

And this was the result...and for me...it was...a bit...too...dunno...'cute'? Stubby? Not intimidating? Dang..."OK, I can fix this"

[​IMG]

Back to the CAD, with a fresh nozzle I printed out a longer version. I spent a bit more time finishing this one as well.

[​IMG]

Here are all the parts, ready to assemble. This photo shows the metallic a lot better...luckily, I had a lot of leftover paint from the stubby one. ;) 

[​IMG]

Here's a comparison of the length...the gun barrell is longer but the turret itself is roughly the same size. The treads and body are longer as well.

[​IMG]

Here they are in 'tank mode'. The original wasn't bad IMHO, but I do think the new one is more intimidating.

[​IMG]

Here's a bunch of references used for the sketch...LMK if you recognize some of the 'design elements' I used in the tank!

[​IMG]

He is reasonably 'bloosh compatible' so here's a quick battle scene.

That's all for now...Soundwave soon.

• Like Like x 29
  16. Drakuatron

Drakuatron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    That's a really nice Tank-wave! Though I have to admit, the original size does appear a tad... Warpath-esque in proportions. Perhaps you were onto something?

• Like Like x 2
  17. DeathsTreads77

DeathsTreads77 Hot sauce addict

Nice! Glad I could contribute, even in the most minor way possible. Keep the good work going!

• Like Like x 1
  18. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    While G1 Shockwave isn't one I care much about - being an out of scale gun - had he been designed like you have him here, that could've been different. He looks awesome! Did you base his tank on an existing real world tank?

I love his G1 cannon, but I bet that it would make other tanks feel, insecure. :lol  I also like that his stock main gun is a stretched version of his robot hand gun.

Good move making the body longer. The shorter one made the turret look too large.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cashtron527

Cashtron527 Well-Known Member

I guess we know how Megatron is gonna be done now lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. GT2

GT2 Well-Known Member

It's good, in fact it's very good and I love the concept, the CAD design, the quality of the prints, painting etc...

...but is it Hot Wheels? :p 

• Like Like x 1