Minor/Repaint: Echotransformer Builds the Geewun Cast outa HotWheels

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Jan 1, 2023.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

well yeah, if you want to do All The Constructicons, Ever, you've got a long way to go lol...

• Like Like x 1
  2. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll definitely do some group shots when all 6 are done...I know for sure you'll be looking out for the scale!

Lolzzz...ok so yes, in the future I might do a sort of "actionmaster Devastator made from HotWheels sized vehicles", but that would be after S1/S2 is done, if not later. However, I'd say since the Fusos can be printed a Hauler isn't out of the realm of possibility. Maybe Bulkhead too, but it would be the "G1-style" bulkhead that uses the Fuso cab with the cargo unit on the back, as opposed to the rounded, super-cool Animated design. (OMG, could you imagine a line of Animated Hot Wheels, with actual Animated sculpts?)

I guess if there were other Constructicons, it would be what...like the ones from PCC, the ones in the Animation errors from 80s cartoon (I think in the birth of Megatron scene they show a couple extra Constructicons), the Micromaster set and Combiner, the Animated ones, the Classics ones, the Movieverse...oh Yeah and build king...OOO Armada Scavenger, do those ok, yeah were talking dozens of these guys.

• Like Like x 4
  3. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    The malignus construction colored Gears!

• Like Like x 1
  4. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. echotransformer

^^ Lolzzz.

CONSTRUCTICON WRAP UP, PART 1: SCAVENGER

This guy was very straightforward, I had this high quality casting from a hobby store. It's a bit modern and I may replace it with something more 'vintagey', but in the meantime I think it's a good placeholder...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at that part count! That said, just 2 rivets to take this one apart...and it's a mix of diecast and plastic.

[​IMG]

Ready to paint! I carefully masked off some areas and sanded the logos to ensure a smooth finish...

[​IMG]

All ready to assemble. LOVE the rubber wheels on this one...I didn't show this step but I did peel off the tires to chrome the rims.

[​IMG]

All done. The shovel articulates in 2 places! There's no hinge in the center, though.

PART 2 for Mixmaster follows immediately, then PART 3 for group shots.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2024
    • Like Like x 13
  6. echotransformer

CONSTRUCTICON WRAP UP, PART 2: MIXMASTER

Mixmaster, on the other hand wasn't a slam dunk. Here I am looking at my candidate, and thinking about scale...

[​IMG]

Yeah, that mixer is just too large and not G1 enough. It's also very modern. Oof...ok. So started looking around flea markets and found this little cab....I started to wonder if I could use the cab and make the mixer part via 3D printing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I started the disassembly, and cut the cab off the front. I already knew I needed new wheels (Hot Wheels, of course...from a donor) and I figured the chassis could be entirely new to improve strength.

[​IMG]

Here's the CAD. You can see I made a very rough model of the cab...just enough to have the size and necessary tab/attachment points. The rest was entirely new...I used the G1 toy as a reference.

[​IMG]

Here's the resulting print...all parts on one raft, yay! The cab already looked like it was fitting nicely.

[​IMG]

I did a rough assembly to check scale...yep, much better! Note the little tiny window beneath the drivers window....that's probably something functional as a delivery vehicle...but not for Mixmaster so I'm going to paint that in when I do the window piece.

[​IMG]

Luckily this little casting had a windsheild, and I decided to paint it solid to be consistent with the others. The green along the bottom is to cover that strange extra 'lower window'.

[​IMG]

Ready to assemble! Note the chrome grille...that's the original one from the little casting I found, but I did touch up the chrome with a marker. Paint matching the purple was a chore I still don't think I have it correct but close enough for now.

[​IMG]

Assembled! The mixing barrel does spin. There are some artifacts in the paint which I may touch up at some point...again, no picnic painting this part.

[​IMG]

And Group Shots to wrap up the set next post!

• Like Like x 16
  7. echotransformer

CONSTRUCTICON WRAP UP, PART 3: GROUP SHOTS

Ok guys, here's how all 6 look together!

[​IMG]

So Eddie can check scale! (lolzzz). I applied some Decepticon logos to tie the whole set together.

[​IMG]

Long Haul, always doing the chores for the group. Lunch break!

[​IMG]

Back to work...

[​IMG]

"Wait, there's nobody driving!"

• Like Like x 31
  8. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Ya know what, they actually all look great together and scale wise not too offensive. Long haul looks appropriately beefy and Mix Master and Hook look appropriately small. If anything, Bonecrusher is the the only one that might seem a hint large?

I really dig Scrapers chunky tires/wheels. I know he has an open cab but did at all consider a matching purple insert for "windows"?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Starpilot949

Starpilot949 "This is where the transformers fun begins"

News Credits:
    Yo! This looks amazing! Awesome work! They really look good together as a group. I agree, scale wise they look perfect.Incredible job man, I can't wait to see what comes next!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Josephimus Prime 14

Josephimus Prime 14 Member Of Freaking Army Of Primes,Knights Of Iacon

HYPED FOR ASTROTRAIN!!! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  11. WatermelonSpectacles1

WatermelonSpectacles1 Average Beast Wars Megatron Enjoyer

News Credits:
    can't wait to see the stunticons!

12. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hit dogs holler

Those are terrific. NOW DO THEM ALL AGAIN IN G2 ORANGE

I kid, I kid.

I'm always happy to see this project updated.

• Like Like x 3
  13. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't like this enough

14. echotransformer

Yeah agreed, Bonecrusher is both large and I'd also argue 'too modern'. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a smaller vintage casting...fingers crossed. In terms of Scrapper, yes I had considered a purple window filler, but the G1 has that open canopy so I ruled it out in considering of 'some accuracy'.

Thanks so much!

Soon...very...soon...hopefully this weekend.

Thanks! Yeah a lot of people want to see them.

OMG, lolzzz. Thanks so much!

Thank you kindly. :) 

• Like Like x 4
  15. AJthecybermon64

AJthecybermon64 Autobot maintenance and wellbeing officer

They all look great

• Like Like x 1
  16. Josephimus Prime 14

:D 

• Like Like x 1
  17. echotransformer

Ok let's start with Astrotrain in Shuttle mode:

[​IMG]

The candidate is a pretty accurate casting from Amazon...I figure this would be quite similar to "Skybusters" or "Tailwinds" in scale. But OMG, look at that silly pull-back motor. Yep, that's gotta go!

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, the hardest part to disassemble was the tailfin! Any way, this should help the painting process.

[​IMG]

Here's the motor hacked out. I masked off the area around where I dremeled so I could file it down smooth. After working this area, I took measurements and made some parts in CAD.

[​IMG]

You can see the parts here. The front landing gear forgoes a proper wheel for reduced height/simplicity/durability...whereas the rear axel is sculpted out to hold...guess what..."Hot Wheels". Yep. You can see I did this to get the ride height nice and low and look...um...more appropriate when viewed from the side.

Note the extra hole in the middle...I added that for a flight stand compatibility!

[​IMG]

Back to the casting...At first I was thinking I would just mask and paint with no changes, but those funny side panels are very 'signature' of the character, and overall I'm aiming for accuracy here...so I had some thin black plastic to cut and sculpt. You can see I had a second copy of the shuttle handy to test my ideas with.

[​IMG]

You can see I've done a light sanding, and used epoxy to attach the panels. Note I added some to the back as well, based on reference images from the cartoon.

[​IMG]

Here I am in the middle of painting ... I had this really nice "Testors" spray paint from my old G1 Toon Astrotrain project. You can see I'm starting to mask and ready the shuttle for some purple.

[​IMG]

My theory was a 'base coat' of purple could be sprayed on, and from there I could apply a thin purple glaze over top. In hindsight, the base purple was a waste of time...I could have gone immediately to the glaze (atop the primer). Any way live and learn, right?

[​IMG]

Here's the custom matched glaze. You can see I didn't go quite as blue as the G1...but MUCH richer and darker than the spray paint.

[​IMG]

Here's the bottom with the wash applied. I did need to wait and lightly sand between coats. I think I might have applied one coat of clear at this point...either way I did clear coat this a couple times because the hand-mixed, hand-applied Acrylic gel coat is quite fragile.

[​IMG]

Now what I don't have many pictures of were ALL THE FRIGGING MISTAKES I made with this one...poor mask lines, paint that peeled...it was a total pain in the a** to get correct. I must have painted, sanded, and re-painted this tail section 3-4 times. Same with the fuselage. One of the hardest masking challenges I've had due to runny paint and organic shapes. Any way I persisted...sometimes waiting day after day for paint to dry, fail, then try again. ARGGGGGGHHHH.

[​IMG]

Not that there weren't satisfying moments. Chromed thrusters. Nuff said. ;) 

I also experiemented with clear coating these so they wouldn't get marred by finger prints. Seems that Tamiya spray clear coat worked very well with my Flysea Chrome paint markers!

[​IMG]

After many, many hassles...it was finally ready to assemble. You can see it's not perfect...close...but not perfect. Couple little details: chromed the cockpit, and applied some black paint/chrome to the front wheel. Lots of clear coat.

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the Hot wheels axle installed, and the mini front landing gear. I had some silver decals in the middle of the shuttle in this image, but I ended up taking them off because they made it look very 'busy'.

[​IMG]

AND DONE. Phew...OMG, what a tricky one to complete. Felt so good to have it done. Hopefuly you can see how much more 'low profile' it is compared to the original casting.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot on the flightstand (thanks to the 3mm hole I added, he can now pose with other seekers I'm making)

All for now...Train mode next!

• Like Like x 28
  18. Drakuatron

Drakuatron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    Good thing you got two of those shuttles, because when it comes time to make Blast-off—Anyways it looks great!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Basilisk

Basilisk It will give you infinite pleasure!

That Astrotrain shuttle is beautiful

• Like Like x 1
  20. Josephimus Prime 14

yes-bob-esponja.gif

• Like Like x 3