eBay bidding patterns

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I'll do that for similar reasons. Not so much b/c I forget to keep an eye on my watch list, it's just that at any given point in time, it's damn near maxed out with 10-20 items ending w/in 24 hours. Putting in the minimum bid bumps it above the regular watch list to the 'bidding on' list and makes it stand out. I'll only do it if it's less than $10 or so, preferably a .99 opening bid.

In the case of an item that has no bids, I think putting in the opening minimum bid early can also potentially help dissuade the seller from ending the auction early to sell to somebody who made him an offer under the table. Some won't do it at all, some won't do it if it has bids, and others don't give a shit and will sell it out from under everybody. There's no way to tell how often it works, if at all, but I've lost count of the number of times I've been watching something that's a few days in and still has no bids and suddenly it just jumps to the Ended list. It seems to happen less with items that already have a few bids, but who knows.

2. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i use sniping tool, i try to behave like the ideal rational consumer and only put down the highest amount plus some cents (to mess with other last second bid efforts) that i think is reasonable for the item. the goal of the bid is to win the item i want at the price i want, not to engage some random internet strangers in bidding war for the adrenaline rush. i usually just leave it alone and not check if i won until the auction ended for awhile.

they're just plastic toys that are nice to have and not vital essentials, if i didn't win the item, oh well i can wait until the next time it turns up (ebay's saved search/notify is pretty handy)

people complaining about being sniped: my advice is put down the absolute maximum value you're willing to pay for the item, simply walk away until the auction ended, even if you lost to sniping, it's still just a toy some one is willing pay more than you. just because you lost the bid by 50c doesn't mean the high bidder's maximum bid is actually any where near yours, it could be hundreds above yours like some one mentioned previously about the method backfired for the $2k lots that's worth no where near that.

not a penny more is my ebay bidding moto.

3. SpicyRichter

SpicyRichter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same

Even then, I often get sniped, so I don't feel all that bad ;) 

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    I snipe to avoid shill bidding. Fuck those guys.

5. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Shill bidders don't always wait until the last second to bid on their own stuff, they sometimes do it earlier to secure a potential final price they will be happy with.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I rarely buy stuff on eBay, but when I do I only use the "Buy It Now" feature and I never bother bidding on anything. I have neither the time nor the interest to mess around with watching auctions that closely or using sniping tools or whatever.

7. OmarJT82

OmarJT82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First:
    I find the lowest priced Transformers figure out there (DUH!) and place it on my Want, Wish, or Watch List.

Second:
    I enter the date and time the bid on that Transformer figure ends on my cell phone's calendar and set it up so that it alerts me 1 hour, then 10 minutes, lastly 5 minutes about the end of bid on the very day it ends.

Third:
    On the last five minutes before the end of the bid, I type in the highest bid amount possible so that the total price of the figure comes out to an even/round number ($10, $12, $14, $15, $25) and enter in that bid 15 seconds before the bid ends so that no one else has time to outbid me.

8. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will put in as much as I am willing to pay for it and if I just happen to be the highest bidder I will keep a vigilant watch on it. If it stay which a decent price range till the end I will try and keep myself as the highest bidder and winner. but if it goes outside that I let it go.

But I hate when I post a custom and people watch it til the last minute trying to get something that is usually $100+ for $20-30. But that is the point of auctions and those are the breaks. :lol 

9. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    what's Ebay? that place is dead to me! i'm BBTS and Junkion all the way, i never use my ebay account anymo'

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    Right, they usually counter-bid once someone starts the bidding process. And that's fine for them, since I haven't yet put my skin in the game I can move on to the next auction.

11. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I forgot to mention but usually when I bid, the dollar amount i'm willing to pay always includes some extra change because I hate losing lol.

For example, if the auction is at 23 dollars, the person winning probably bid 30 dollars. So, when i'm trying to steal an auction, I bid 30.67 cents. I usually win because people bid 20, 30, 40, 100 dollars you know? People love to bid like that and it really works against them:rock .

So keep that in mind, always throw some weird cent amount at the end of your bid. Its the difference between winning and losing most of the time.

12. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I do the same thing. I NEVER bid in round amounts.

13. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dont have the time for bidding. If I see something I want I just contact the seller and see if he'll sell it outright for certain amount. I know this screws over potential bidders, but o'well, if you want something go for it. And screwing potential bidders over that I dont even know over a toy does not weigh heavily on my chest at all-Usually I get the auction early enough that there is rarely any bids on it, I'm talking within the first five minutes of it being listed.

You have no idea how many times this has worked for me.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  14. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep! That is how you win.

I do that as well but some sellers act like dicks. I always throw a fair value at a guy when i'm offering to buy it outside of ebay. Usually when someone throws me an offer, i'll take it because skipping out on fees is a win in my book.

15. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

As a seller, I am always open to offers outside of eBay. However, I'm less willing to do that after the item has received bids. But yes, skipping out on the eBay fees usually means I am willing to go lower for the prospective buyer. It's a win-win for everybody except eBay (not too sad over that).

16. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

If I find an item I'm interested in I simply put in my max bid and wait for the auction to end. If I win, great. If I don't, I'm sure I'll be able to find the item some other time.

17. rhodium1977

rhodium1977 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is unless you are already watching 200 items both active and ended for research purposes then the small bid at the beginning helps you track the auction.

18. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Sniping is the only way to bid on eBay. Bidding high dollar amounts earlier just enables the stupid people who come by and increase it by five dollars a dozen times until they are high bidder or reach their limit. Let those guys lead the auction at some low amount until the last 10-20 seconds.