eBay bidding patterns

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperoptic, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I usually place a bid in the last 15 seconds of the auction.

A few days ago I lost a bidding war on a botcon cyclonus MIB toy.

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Put my max bid and walk away.

3. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    I really don't understand people who start bidding on an item six days early, or as soon as the auction goes on. All they do is force the price up, sometimes to absurd levels! Me, I stalk the item until it's around 10-15 seconds to go, then put in my maximum amount. It's worked every time bar one - I missed out on a Voyager Movie Starscream by £1.45. Damn!

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    it depends on how much I want the item.

If its something that I know have high demand, and the item is easily searched and I don't really want it that much, then I just play around and hike up the prices via bids.

If it is an item that I want a lot, I will actually be serious and snipe. When I snipe, I am serious about wanting the item. This is especially true when you find an item that you want but that the seller listed the item name horribly (either wrong, or wrong key words for people to search, etc).

But since I discovered this board, I usually buy from people here. Its cheaper than ebay, and in a sense more reliable.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

In all honesty, I tend to snipe auctions when it's an item that I really want. Other times, I'll just put in an early max bid and walk away. I used to engage in bidding wars (and sometimes I still do), but they've proven to be too costly and I've cut back substantially.

6. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm one of the idiots who place the max bid 5 days before the auction end. I am sure the sellers love me. I don't bid on stuff much anymore though, I mainly use BIN these days.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use a sniping tool. I also don't bid at all before that because then someone knows I'm interested. I put the absolute most I'll pay figuring shipping into the equation. If I win, I win. If I don't, i know i put my highest bid in.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I put a useless bid at the very beginning so the auction shows up on My Ebay page then I bit at the very last possible second.

9. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

Instagram:
    Yeah, i do that too only problem is i always lose

10. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    ...You do know there's a "Watch This Item" button for that, right?

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I simply prefer Buy It Now. I hate bidding wars simply because I don't have the funds other people seem to have. No deep pockets for me. :( 
    I have won a few bids though, but that was just mostly luck. Still, I prefer BIN. In fact, recently that's the only way I search for things is with BIN options.

12. Facemeat

Facemeat Give me your Face(meat)!

I usually bid a bit in the last few hours, and then keep an eye on it in the last few minutes and bid when I need to, but I usually have a set price in my head that I won't go over, so I rarely get into bidding wars, and if I get sniped, it usually goes way over what I'm willing to pay anyway, so I don't get to worked up over it.

13. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    i always watch the item knowing there is a specific price i will pay and if it exceeds that price i delete it from the watch list, but i always bid at the last 6 seconds. (and i have a droid so i can moniter things and i get alerts when something i want is almost up)

14. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

Snipe most of time especially with collectibles.

15. FortressMaximus1976

FortressMaximus1976 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You can just select "Watch Item", thats what I usually do. I keep an eye on it that way, as opposed to putting in a bid and inflating the price.

16. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That would be a great system to see on eBay.

As for the original question... If it is something that I really want I snipe in the last possible second. I still remember winning G1 Superion by 3 cents. Ah the hate messages... Good times.

If it is something I am sort of interested in I will put a low feeler bid in to keep an eye on it. For some reason I forget to keep an eye on my watch list and I find this easier.

17. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    This is mainly what I do as well. The stuff I bid on mostly are things that if I can get them for my bid then thats cool but if I really want something I'll look for an auction with a reasonable BIN.

18. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I save searches for the items I want at the prices I want them. Auto email notification, early bid, and usually victory (though the winning price always goes up $10 in the last 2 minutes).

I don't have time to sit around and obsess over some jackhole sniping me. I assume it's going to happen, but unless you're hunting for Botcon exclusives there's always another seller with the same crap.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i usually sell more than i buy, but definitely snipe, i see the early bid to stop the side deal/ebay stores being asses because my BIN is lower than theirs bids all the time. and 9.5/10 times the auction will end higher than what i set the BIN at, like a mib trypticon i put up, $50 start, $250 bin, sold for $355 jumped 200 ion the last day when i got home from a weekend away, i laughed

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Usually I do Buy It Now because it's less hassle. If there isn't one then I just make my bid and leave it at that. I have no interest in getting into a bidding war and paying more than I intended or having the disappointment of getting sniped at the last second. Really I don't want anything enough to get into all that. Alot of times I'm outbid on my single offer, but many times I've stuck in my one bid and come the end of the sale I've won. Surprises me sometimes when I make a bid thinking there's no chance I'll win on a particular item and then no-one else puts in after me.
    Maybe if I was richer I'd fight more for stuff.